Sequel: The Mustang Tamer
Status: FINISHED!!!

Ten Year Grudge

Chapter 3

Ace flashed me a smile that made he want to loosen some of those perfect teeth.
"Great, when do I start?" he asked.
"Now," I growled at him, walking towards the barn and hearing Tribute follow. If he was going to work for me, fine I'd show him work.
"What about that contract you were talking about?"
"I'll draw it up later," I muttered.
"You have a law degree now?" he questioned jokingly.
I spared him a glance. "I minored in law."
"Then why aren't you a lawyer?"
"I hate people," I said and left it at that.
"As I remember you had a Psychology minor too."
"Major. A major in Equine Business Management and Psychology with a minor in Law and Equine Assisted Psychotherapy."
"That's a lot of titles."
I'd just figured that if I had to spend 4 years in classrooms, I was getting my money's worth.
We entered the barn and Tribute walked obediently to his stall. I chained the door behind him. I brought Bayou out into the cross ties and ran a brush over his already gleaming coat.
"Let Tribute cool down for a little while then let him out. He should go out of the barn by himself, if he doesn't just shoo him out. Shut the gate to the barn and bring in the boarders that are out in the field behind the barn." I rattled off names and descriptions of the five horses. "Feed them and throw them some hay, open the gate to the barn so my horses can wander in if it gets too hot. If they wander in throw them some hay too."
"Is that all?" he said sarcastically.
"If you're looking for something to do there's a list on the whiteboard in my office of little projects that have to be done. Oh and make sure all the water buckets get scrubbed and have cool water in them. Check it every couple of hours. If you wouldn't drink it throw it out and refill it," I instructed as I picked out Bayou's feet and went into the tack room for the equipment I'd need. I picked out Bayou's black western saddle and bridle, hating the fact that I had to put a bit on the spirited gelding. The only time I'd ridden Bayou without a bit, he'd run across miles of trails before he stopped. I'd had no trouble turning him and that's what eventually made him stop, when I'd turned him in a tight enough circle.
I threw a navy saddle pad over his back and the saddle followed. I tightened the cinch and placed a baseball cap on my head to keep the ticks out of my hair. I replaced Bayou's halter with his bridle and led him out of the barn into the early morning sunlight.
Vic was walking through the gate as I swung into the saddle.
"You've got help today," I muttered.
Vic looked suspicious. "What do you mean help?" she asked carefully.
"I'm already trying to forget," I told her. "Good luck." And with a jaunty wave, Bayou and I began out descent into the front pasture with my horses, to the gate that led to the range.
♠ ♠ ♠
In the process of editing. Comment, subscribe, recommend and check out my other stories! ;)