Sequel: The Mustang Tamer
Status: FINISHED!!!

Ten Year Grudge

Chapter 9

I looked away before Ace caught me staring. Damn him for making me feel...what was I feeling? My heart was fluttering and when those dark brown eyes landed on me I felt my skin heat...
I shook my head to try to shake the renegade thoughts. Had I completely lost it? I didn't even like Ace! A thought came to me then that relieved me a little: I was probably just lonely. Even Drake hadn't been much company. He had been more concerned with himself than he ever was about me. He'd never brought me coffee in bed either...
Then Vic broke into my thoughts. "Oh by the way, I can't help much next weekend-"
"What's happening next weekend?" I demanded, searching my brain frantically.
"The Maryland World Horse Expo?" she asked.
Crap. I'd forgotten all about the Expo. I'd been going as a spectator for years before I was asked to come and show off my horses. I'd enjoyed it even more when they'd moved the date from a very frigid Maryland February to a warmer summer month. How the hell could I forget? It was one of my biggest events of the year! I took Tribute and a few other horses up from Wednesday to Sunday and normally would raffle off one of the colts.
"Why can't you go?" I demanded.
"I've got classes. I can come here and feed and turn out and all the regular stuff, but I want to stay close to home so I can get a good night's sleep."
"Perfect," I muttered.
"When do we leave?" Ace called from a stall he'd put one of the colts in.
"Who said anything about "we"?" I asked.
"I am on your payroll and I'm sure I could help in some way..."
"You can stay here with Vic," I said.
"I can hold down the fort," Vic retaliated. "You can't do it all yourself. Who are you going to get to go with you? Drake? I heard he's working down the road for Billy Marstin and going around with his daughter."
I whipped around to glare at her. "Thanks for the memo," I said through clenched teeth, trying to hide my hurt. We hadn't even been broken up that long and he was already baiting the line for someone else. I'd seen Ms. Marstin before, whenever Drake and I had taken a ride down by her father's property. Billy Marstin ran a string of Thoroughbreds and took them to Pimlico during the season there. Patricia Marstin was a year younger than me with raven-black hair, eyes that changed color to suit her outfit, and a Double-D chest. Thinking back, she'd always flirted with Drake, leaning over the railing of her father's porch just enough to give him a good view of her assets.
And then, some other things fell into place. I'd broken it off with Drake because he'd been cheating. I hadn't been sure with whom but I had gotten hold of his phone once and seen pictures I never should have and texts that I knew weren't coming from me. All I'd known about the mystery woman was she had a huge bust and black hair.
Duh moment. I felt like smacking myself.
Well they were welcome to each other, I thought icily.
"I'll get Leah to come help."
"With twin girls and another baby on the way, I don't think so. Besides, Tommy wouldn't hear of it. He barely lets Leah go out to the barn anymore." Leah had a small barn on her property where she kept the twins' pony. She had had a competition horse for herself, but had leased him out when she'd found out she was pregnant again.
"And she's only five months along. I can't wait until she gets ready to deliver," I muttered sarcastically.
"Remember when she was pregnant with the twins? Tommy practically carried her everywhere."
I smiled at the memory. Leah had pretended to hate being fussed over, then when she thought no one but Tommy was looking, she basked in her husband's affection.
That brought another pang of longing in me. I'd never been a touchy-feely person, but I secretly wanted someone to worry over me like that, someone to love me unconditionally. Not that I ever wanted kids. I would never make a good mother. I was happy to just stick to my horses.
"Looks like I'm your only real option," Ace commented. For a moment my mind stayed stuck on my last thought. In order for me to be a mother there would have to be a father involved...
I glared daggers at him.
"Come on Nik. I know how to walk and talk in public. I've seen you preform at the Expo and I know you can't do it all by yourself."
That was news. "What do you mean, you've seen me preform at the Expo?"
His tan darkened as a flush crept up his neck. "Uh-I mean I've just been to the Expo before."
I smiled, secretly enjoying his discomfort. And he looked kind of cute when he was embarrassed... Wait a second, what had I just thought?! That my STEPBROTHER looked CUTE?! I felt my forehead, sure I was coming down with a fever. I didn't feel warm but that was me testing myself. I'd run up to the house later for a thermometer, not wanting to ask Vic if I felt hot. She would probably get the wrong idea...or worse the right idea.
"Can you answer questions about the farm and the horses?" I asked Ace tightly.
"Shoot."
"How old is Tribute?"
"Ten."
"How did I get him?"
"Your boss in college bought him on accident and you bought him from him."
"Do I offer stud services?"
"Three off-farm breedings from each stallion and only during April and May. You also have a new stallion that may be available for breeding next year."
I narrowed my eyes. "How many horses do I have?"
Ace took a second longer to answer that. "Thirty-two of your own counting Leah's stallion and then five horses in for training at a time."
"Hell Nik, I didn't even know that," Vic said.
I sighed, forced to give in. He was right...he was right? I must be coming down with something. But he was right all the same. I couldn't go to the Expo by myself. Tribute stayed on stallion row plus he was in several demonstrations, including a Natural Horsemanship demonstration, Parade of Breeds, and Stallion Avenue. And then there was my demonstrations with a young horse that I would break in the ring. Someone had to be at the table at all times to answer questions and sell raffle tickets.
"Fine. We leave Wednesday morning with Tribute and one of the colts. Pack some decent shirts and some work shirts. The Expo covers our lunch but we're on our own for dinner."
"What about breakfast?"
"I can't eat early in the morning."
"That's interesting."
I glared at him. "Alright, enough chit-chat. Both of you, back to work."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all SOOOO much for the comments! Keep 'em coming!! Hopefully the updates will be more consistent for a little while but I never know with my hectic life...
Update: Editing this thing.