With Love

Dinner For Two

After Emmett cracked a few more jokes about my mom's age he went back to cutting up the salad. Carlisle had been quiet the entire time, concentrating on cooking.

"So how was your day?" Alice asked breaking the silence.

"It was fine. How was yours?"

"Great. I went shopping with Nessie. It was awesome. I found the cutest skirt. It was a light blue with this amazing black design down one side. I also-"

"Alice." Edward warned.

"It's alright Edward." I stated. "I've had to listen to Amanda talk for hours about what she bought. At least she hasn't started showing them off." I paused. "Yet."

Alice had disappeared. Everyone was looking towards the hallway.

"Maybe I spoke to soon." I whispered.

"5, 4, 3, 2, and 1." Emmett mumbled.

Alice was back before Emmett had even said one. She sported the blue skirt. She twirled around with a smile.

"Very nice." I said with a laugh.

"Thank you."

The kitchen became quiet again. Nessie, Rosalie, and Bella left the room after the silence continued for a while. Jacob and Edward followed once they were finished chopping up food for the salad.

Carlisle still hadn't said anything.

Emmett, Jasper and Alice soon disappeared as well. Leaving Carlisle and I alone in the kitchen.

"Sorry about them."

I jumped slightly, startled by Carlisle's sudden input.

"It's alright. They're very polite." I complimented.

"They left."

"They must have a perfectly good excuse." I defended.

"Giving us alone time." I heard Carlisle mutter.

"Is something wrong with that?" I asked.

Carlisle jumped. I don't think I was supposed to hear him say that. He looked surprised and embarrassed.

"No nothing wrong with it. It's just-"

I laughed at how flustered he was getting.

"I know. Alice invited me over. She should be in here."

This time Carlisle laughed. He finished putting together the salad and set it on the table. He pulled my chair out for me. I sat down and thanked him.

"I don't think she ever intended on eating with us."

We both laughed.

"What would she have done if my mother and Amanda had come with?"

"I think she knew that they would be busy. She has a feel for those type of things."

We both started laughing again.

The salad was amazing. The chicken was perfectly cooked and the salad had just enough dressing.

Throughout the meal I noticed the Carlisle was barely eating. It wasn't as if he was picking at his food. He just didn't place as much on his plate. It made me feel slightly like a pig, but it was good food. I wasn't about to ration my food because of a guy.

"How was it?" Carlisle asked afterwards.

"Delicious." I complemented.

Carlisle stood and grabbed my plate. I stood and followed him over to the sink.

"May I help?" I asked, not wanting to be rude.

"You're the guest. Sit."

"I feel rude watching you clean when I made part of the mess."

"If you insist." He through me a towel.

I caught it and stepped up beside him. He washed, I dried.

We talked as we cleaned. Learning a lot about each other. I avoided the question of why we moved here. Completely avoiding, not in a subtle way either. I just plain refused to answer the question.

"What are you doing?!"

I almost dropped the plate I was holding. Alice stood by the island of the counter. He face was completely shocked.

"Cleaning?"