With Love

Debate

"Amanda knock it off." I said, for the billionth time.

Amanda was bugging me, nonstop, about my lunch with Carlisle. She was considering it a date, I was considering it lunch. Mom just sat watching the interrogation happen. I felt like the teenager, being grilled by her parents after the first date. Only the roles were reversed.

"Amanda, knock it off."

"But-"

"No-"

"You-"

"Stop-"

"I'm just-"

"I don't-"

"Girls!"

We both stopped and turned to face Mom.

I could tell she was getting a lot of amusement out of our conversation. She was having trouble not laughing.

"Amanda, Dylan is not your daughter. Dylan, you can't blame Amanda for having curiosity." She stated.

After words she left us in silence. I watched as she traveled into the kitchen with a smile on her face. Amanda just snorted in laughter.

"You'd think she'd be more concerned." She mumbled.

"Why?"

"You're dating, duh."

"Amanda I am a twenty-five year old grown woman. I don't think I need my mother to approve right away. Besides it wasn't a date, it was just lunch. Mom also loves Carlisle, she would approve no matter what."

"It was too a date."

"No it wasn't."

"Yes."

"No."

Yes."

"No."

"Yes-"

"Girls!"

We both shut up immediately. I couldn't help but smile. Amanda also smiled and soon we were both laughing.

"Go do your homework." I said getting up and walking into the kitchen.

I heard Amanda mumble in argument as I left.

I sat down at the counter and watched mom cook. She was preparing a simple dinner, soup and sandwiches. Tomato soup and grilled cheese to be precise.

"Why won't you just admit it was a date?" She asked, staring at the stove.

"Because it wasn't."

"Just because he asked you to lunch doesn't it mean it's not a date. Lunch is considered a date."

"Fine, it was a date." I gave up. "I'm tired of fighting with you guys."

"I told you!!" Amanda shouted.

Mom and I started laughing. I could picture Amanda doing a victory dance. Crumpling her homework in the process.

"Amanda do your homework!"

"Oh come on." I heard her groan.

"It's got to get done. Now or later."

"Can I choose later?"

"Only if you want me to be bugging you the entire time!"

I heard Amanda groan again. Mom and I started laughing again. It was funny how easy it was to upset Amanda. Mention homework or school and the joy drained from her face instantly.

Lucky for her she finished her homework by dinner.

Dinner was spent poking fun at Amanda and me. Mom had a blast, able to pick on us but never be the butt of the joke.