With Love

Missing

It was back to work on Monday. I wasn't looking forward to going, and at the same time was. I would see Carlisle again, but I would see him at work.

I had admitted to Amanda and mom yesterday that it was in fact a date and I had also admitted to myself that it was a date. After I had stopped denying it my feelings came out full force. I was falling for my boss.

I sighed as I pulled into the hospital parking lot.

How was I supposed to focus with him there?

I sucked it up and got out of the SUV. Carlisle was getting out of his Mercedes. He smiled when he saw me and I couldn't help but return it.

"Good morning Dylan."

"Morning Carlisle."

I spent most of the day checking in on patients. In my spare time I would organize work stations.

Carlisle was busy with many patients. It was another busy day.

Every time I saw him a smile would come to my face. It was hard not to smile, I couldn't even get myself to force it away. Just being around him made me grin.

As of this moment we were both at the reception desk. The receptionist had called in sick, on short notice, and they couldn't find anyone to fill in. All of the nurses were trying hard to keep things running smoothly for the doctors.

I looked up when the doors opened again. I was expecting another woman to run in with her child, her to tell us it was an emergency and find out the kid sneezed. That's what many of the patients had been.

I was surprised to see it was Alice, Jasper and Edward.

Alice skipped over happily, with Jasper and Edward following behind her slowly.

"Hello." Alice chirped.

"Hi Alice." "Hello Alice."

At least she didn't scare me. She might have invited me for another 'family' dinner. I thought with a smile.

By the time Jasper and Edward joined us they were both smiling also.

"Hello." I said politely before finding something to distract me.

"Carlisle can we talk with you?" Edward asked.

"Of course."

I watched as Carlisle walked off to his office. Alice leading the way with her brothers following. I smiled once again.

As I went to call a patient my cell began to ring.

I was going to ignore it when it said unknown caller but something in my gut told me to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Dylan Neilson? Amanda Neilson's aunt?" A deep voice asked.

"Yes, it is. Is something wrong with Amanda?" I asked, worry slipping into my words.

"This is Principle Herman, she didn't show up for school today."

"That's impossible. I dropped her off this morning. I watched her walk into school."

"None of her teachers have seen her. She didn't show up to first hour." His voice was now filled with worry.

"Thank you for informing me. I'll try and find her."

"I'm sure you'll find her." He tried to be reassuring but didn't succeed.

After saying goodbye I flipped my phone shut. I slid it into my pants pocket and headed for the break room. I was going to clock out and go searching for Amanda.

"Dylan."

I stopped at the sound of Carlisle's voice. I turned to face him, succeeding for the first time not to smile.

"Carlisle I can't stay and talk I have-"

"Find Amanda, I know."

"How did you-"

Alice appeared by his side, a frown upon her lips.

"I can explain that." She said sadly.

"Explain what?"

"Here isn't the best place for it. Come to our house. We can explain everything." Alice said, a glint of hope in her eyes.

"Okay."