With Love

Curious

We didn't go straight home. Amanda wanted to keep driving. I wasn't about to stop her, wanting her to be independent.

She would be turning 16 within the next month. She would get her license and according to her, a car. I was planning on giving her my SUV. It got me from A to B and it would do the same for her.

I learned last night that my Fat Boy motorcycle was in the garage. Hidden beneath a tarp to keep the dust off of it. Mom didn't have the heart to get rid of it, even when I did buy it without her permission. I had dad's permission, mom was pissed the day we brought it home.

Amanda was also to be the first of her friends to turn 16. She'd be able to drive them to school.

I had informed my mom about my plan. She thought it was a good idea, but thought Amanda should have to work for it. I agreed.

Amanda had to get a job first. She just didn't know it yet.

"You like driving the SUV?" I asked as she turned another corner.

"Yeah. I can see the entire road." Amanda squeaked out.

I laughed as she turned into the driveway. She parked next to a Silver Volvo. The same one I had seen in the parking lot at Amanda's school.

"I wonder what the Cullen's are doing here?" Amanda asked looking over at me.

I shrugged my shoulders. We both got out and hurried into the house. We slowed our steps once in the door, trying to act natural.

"Welcome home girls."

"Hello Grandma." Amanda said skipping into the living room.

I couldn't help but laugh. She never used the word grandma, it was always nana.

"Hey mom." I said, following Amanda.

"How was school?"

Amanda made a gagging sound and stuck out her tongue. Mom laughed, as did the four Cullen's that sat in the living room.

"Dylan, how was work?"

I made a gagging sound and stuck out my tongue, mimicking Amanda. I also added an eye roll. The living room erupted in laughed yet again.

"Work is work and that's all there is to it." I stated sitting on the arm of the couch, next to Amanda.

"Amanda might already know them but I know you don't Dylan. This is Nessie, Bella, Edward and Alice." Mom introduced the Cullen's sitting in the living room.

"Hello."

The living room went silent after that. Mom looked like she wanted to say something, but not in front of certain people. Her eyes kept moving back and forth between Amanda and me. I got the hint, knowing it was us that she didn't want in the room.

"Amanda don't you have homework?" I asked standing up.

"Yes, but I can do it later."

"Why not now?" I asked grabbing her arm and dragging her up the stairs.

She didn't say anything until we were in her room.

"Why now?" She whined.

"Nana didn't want either of us in the room."

"How could you tell?" Now she was interested.

"You learn after quite some time when you're wanted and when you're not. She was obviously talking with them before we arrived home and didn't get to finish the conversation." I stated,.

"Aren't you curious of what they're talking about?" She asked pressing her ear against the door.

"That's not going to work. Your room is too far from the living room. To answer your question, no."

"How can you not be curious?" She looked over at me shocked.

"I'm just not. I can live without knowing ever secret in the world. It's part of who I am." I took a seat on Amanda's bed.

"It's not who I am." Amanda mumbled placing her ear back on the door.

Dinner was ready a half hour later. The conversation was finished shortly after we left the room and mom started cooking right away. Spaghetti and meatballs.

As we ate Amanda tried to get information out of Nana. It didn't work. Mom was good at keeping secrets. She still hasn't told me many things, like what happened to my pet rabbit.

He mysteriously disappeared when I was at school.