Something To Hold On To

014.

Mike had been walking the floor of his apartment since Lexie had told him to get out of hers. He had been pacing back and forth for well over an hour trying to figure out what the hell had happened back there. She’d completely lost her mind on him. He had confessed everything. Told her that he was crazy in love with not only her but Maddy and Aiden as well and she had turned it all around in her mind. She had driven him away. He’d been apart from her for way too damn long already and now she’d pushed him away and gone back to that fucking strip club. His skin crawled at the thought of his girlfriend in that repulsive place. He couldn’t for the life of him understand why she’d gone back there when he had offered her an alternative that would ensure that she never had to think about going back there let alone step foot in the door one more fucking time. Mike groaned out of frustration.

He understood that she had been dependent upon no one since way before anyone should have to know that there was no one in the world for them to count on. He understood that everything she had, she had worked to obtain. He got it. He admired the fact that she stepped up out of pure love for those two children and took them in and has been treating them as if they were her own since the day she got them. Mike respected Lexie immensely. She was the definition of brave. She was strong willed, self reliant and way too stubborn for her own fucking good. This place, and that boss of hers, had some sort of hold over her and he couldn’t come close to understanding it. He couldn’t understand, but he was sure as hell going to put an end to it tonight if it was the last fucking thing he ever did.

He grabbed his jacket out of the closet in the front hallway and hurried out of his apartment, shrugging into it as he strode to the elevator. He had to get her out of that place once and for all. It was time that this ended. Not for him, but this needed to end for her.
__________

Lexie had been in no mood to work after what had happened between her and Mike. She was not her falsely cheerful self tonight. She was far too emotionally exhausted to try and pretend that she was enjoying being there tonight. She was bitter. She was angry. She was just in a fucking awful mood. She rounded the corner with a tray of drinks and placed them in front of their respective owners and just simply walked on to the next table without so much as a word being muttered to the men.

She still couldn’t get over the fact that Mike had used her own emotions to try to get what he wanted out of her. It was no secret that Mike hated this place. She understood. Hell, nine times out of ten she hated it too. But it was her job. It was the only source of income she and Madeline and Aiden had to rely on. Mike expected her to just quit, never go back there, and just live off of him? No way in hell. Lexie was head over heels in love with Mike. There was no hiding that fact, but she would never let herself rely on anyone to survive; let alone a man.

Truth be told, Lexie had commitment issues. She’d been having a great time with Mike and she loved having him around. She was more than willing to go on loving him and being with him, but she would never make herself vulnerable in doing so. Lexie had never seen a single relationship work out. She had never met her father; that relationship had ended almost before it even began. Emily had trusted her fiancé so much and he had just in turn ripped her heart out, stomped on it, and then ran off with her credit cards. Her sister and her boyfriend, the twins father, had been the picture perfect relationship up until Ashley had gotten pregnant. He had insisted that she be home taking care of the house; he wanted to provide for her. Then he up and left leaving her sister with newborn twins, broke, and evicted shortly after he’d left because she had no money. So forgive her for being a little sceptical when it came to relying on anyone but herself when it came to things such as money.

She rounded the corner once more on her way back to the bar and was startled when she was grabbed from behind. She whirled around ready to give it to the asshole that had the nerve to touch her and she was at a loss for words. It was Mike. He had come down to the club and he looked angrier than she’d ever seen him look. “What are you doing here?!” She hissed.

“What am I doing here?!” He repeated, animosity looming on every syllable. “WHAT AM I FUCKING DOING HERE?!” He shouted.

“Dammit Mike! Go home!”

“No fucking way. I’m not leaving this fucking shit hole without you.” He stated and then stood there in front of her, arms crossed at his chest, just begging her to try and make him budge.

“You need to leave.” She stated quieter this time as she felt the eyes of not only customers but the bouncers on her. “Please, Mike! You need to go! Now!” She didn’t want to cause a scene, and most of all she didn’t want Mike getting into a fight here because of her. “Please!” She begged.

“No.” He stated. “You need to go get your fucking clothes. Put them on. And march your ass out that door.” Lexie stared at him in shock. He’d never spoken to her like this before. “For fucksakes Lexie! What the hell are you doing here?! Huh??! Is this the kind of life you want?”

“No.” She muttered. “Mike I have nowhere else to go! I have no education. I can’t go get some fantastic job! Maddy and Aid..”

“Do you really think those two kids give a damn where you work? So you didn’t go to college. So what?! Go wait tables. Go be a cashier. Fuck, Lexie! If this is all about those kids then go back to school so that you can get a career!” Lexie’s head dropped and she could feel the tears forming. “If this is all about them, all they want is for you to be happy. Can you honestly tell me that you’re happy here?” He asked her as he looked around the dimly lit strip club. She shook her head lightly and Mike finally felt like there was a glimmer of hope but then the huge body of one of the bouncers forced it’s way between him and his girlfriend.

“You’re too close my friend.” The bouncer stated. “You’re too close and you’re far too hostile sounding so how about you and I take a walk.” Mike met the guys eyes and was filled with rage again.

“Like hell we will. You need to step the fuck out of my way. We are having a conversation here that..”

“No. Your conversation is done. Let’s go.” The bouncer went for Mike, but before he could grab him, Lexie pushed herself between the two men.

“You’re right Will.” Lexie stated to the bouncer. Mike’s eyes widened at what he was hearing. “This conversation is done. He’s leaving now..”

“Lex!” Mike exclaimed, unable to believe his ears.

“But I’m leaving too.” Lexie flashed a smile up at her boyfriend before looking back at the bouncer. “Tell Misty I quit.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i know. i updated. and FINALLY she quit.
comments? you'd best be leaving me some ;)