Status: complete!(:

Unseen

Running.

ALY: Right now, I’m standing in a phone booth by a lake. It’s so pretty here, Mom, so sparkly and clean. It’s a nice change from New York. I was hoping you would be home so that we could talk, but I’m used to disappointment. Maybe this isn’t even your phone, although, it still has your voice on the machine. Maybe HE got you a new one and you just haven’t thrown this one out. Maybe that’s because you get these messages from me? I hope so. I hope HE’S gone, but maybe HE’S the one that gets these messages and you think I’m dead, like all the others. I have to go now. Remember, I love you. Please don’t forget that, never forget that.

******************************************************************************

Sometimes I like to pretend I’m just dreaming. Sometimes I like to pretend that I’m really safe, asleep, under my glow-in-the-dark stars and lavender comforter. And I pretend that HE doesn’t exist. I close my eyes and try to hum myself awake. But then my stomach rumbles and I remember that it’s not a dream. It’s all real.

******************************************************************************

ALY: Right now, I’m standing in a bus station, waiting for a bus. I can’t tell you where I’m going, since I still don’t know who’s listening to these messages. It might be you, or it might be HIM. I can’t take those chances, Mom, I hope you understand. I won’t stop calling. I won’t stop leaving messages, even if you’re HIM. I hope you get this, Mom. I hope it’s really you. I love you, Mom, don’t ever forget that. Never forget.

******************************************************************************

Every once in a while I catch a break in a new city. People will mistake me for a girl they know. Or maybe even an invisible girl. I like that one best. It’s better than when they recognize me from the commercials. They ask me questions. Want to know why I’m in a little po dunk town like theirs. Want to know how my social life is and how my manager/agent is. I try to give them polite little lies. Then I skedaddle. I get out of there so fast I have trouble breathing. My heart starts racing and my chest starts compressing and my head starts spinning. Then I blow chunks everywhere and collapse on the side of the road or the field or wherever I’m running. And then I curl into a ball and try to die a little bit less inside.