Disease

nine

Oliver woke up and opened his eyes, seeing Afton standing in the bathroom with her back to him. She had her face bent low into the sink, coughing loudly. He sat still on the bed, knowing that Afton liked to do things herself and listened to her as she wretched over and over again. Her body shook and trembled against the counter sink and when Oli thought he couldn’t take it anymore, a loud splat was heard and Afton leaned up, looking at herself in the mirror, blood dripping down her chin and tears in her eyes.

She was breathing roughly now and reached down towards the sink, turning on the faucet and washing away the blood, then washing out her mouth. Oliver stood up and got out of bed, only in his boxers. Cold air was circulating through their small flat, so he pulled on a t shirt lying on the floor and made his way out to the kitchen where he put a kettle on the stove to boil water for tea.

Once the tea was finished, Oliver poured two mugs of hot water and dunked two tea bags in each cup, dropping some sugar into Afton’s and some cinnamon into his. He set both the mugs on the counter, hoping that today was no different than yesterday, that they might get along, and they would have another good day.

It was safe to say that yesterday was the best day he’s had with Afton since she’d been diagnosed. She was happy and smiling all day, she ate, they watched a movie, and while he was unable to take her exactly where he wanted to, the day turned out okay and everything was fine. It wasn’t just fine, it was wonderful, amazing. Incredible.

Oliver smiled to himself as he sat down at the counter, facing the opening to the kitchen and waited for Afton to come into the room and sit down beside him. He already had an idea of what they were to do today, and hopefully Afton would agree to it, like she did yesterday.

Afton came into the kitchen, all in a rush, dressed in a pair of grey skinny jeans that hugged her perfectly and a black long sleeve t shirt that was owned by Oliver. She was tugging a pair of Vans onto her feet and her hair hung down her back in loose waves. She looked up at him and grinned sheepishly.

“Oi, What’re yeh doin’?” Oliver asked.

“Yeh’re mum called. She wants us over for breakfast. Come on, Ol. We gotta go.”

“No one ever told meh ‘bout this.”

“I told yeh teh call yeh’re mum the other night, and yeh didn’t listen.”

“What, yeh just expect meh teh call meh mum like that, I mean really.”

“Like what?” Afton smirked.

Oliver stood up and walked around the other side of the corner, pulling Afton against him and smashing his lips against hers. She kissed him back and they leaned against each other, slight moans were let out and they were both gasping for breath when Oli pulled away, smirking.

“Like that.” He said, looking at Afton who was breathing hard and leaning towards him still.

“Olleh!” She laughed, reaching her hand up around the back of his neck and pulling him down into another kiss, “That’s not fair.”

He pushed her lightly off him, “Oi, we don’t wanna be late fer meh mum’s now do we? Drink yeh’re tea.”

Afton glared at him jokingly and walked over to the other side of the kitchen, picking up the mug of tea and taking a long drink of it. Once she’d finished her tea, Oli finally came around the corner, dressed in a pair of black jeans, a grey t shirt, and a red and black flannel on top. He had on a pair of socks, but had a look of wonder as he peered around the entire house for his shoes.

“Oi, do yeh know where meh shoes are?”

“On meh feet.” Afton grinned, “Didn’t yeh see meh puttin’ ‘em on?”

“Why don’t yeh wear yeh’re own shoes?”

“’Cause, yer’s are more comfortable. Why don’t yeh go get another pair? Yeh’ve got ‘undreds.”

“I wanted the black ones.” He pouted.

“Put on the red ones. They’ll match just fine. We’re only goin’ teh yeh’re mum’s.”

Afton watched with an amused grin as Oliver walked down the hall way and came back with the red Vans, held in his hands, tied neatly in bows, looking like they’d never been worn. He walked over to her and placed one on the counter, untying the other one. He shoved his foot into it and lifted his leg up onto the counter, leaning his head against the cabinet.

“Tie it please?”

“Olleh,” She laughed, “Are yeh serious?”

He nodded, “Yeh wouldn’t let meh wear the black ones.”

She rolled her eyes and proceeded to tie Oliver’s shoe, then reached over for the other one and undid the bow, helping him get his foot into it and lacing it up.

“Right then, are we ready?”

Oliver nodded, grabbing the keys off the counter, “Let’s roll.”

Image

Once breakfast was finished, it was closer to lunch time. Everyone sat around the round table, two extra chairs pulled up for Afton and Oliver, who had gotten into a small argument on the ride over to the Sykes’ household and were now refraining from speaking to one another. Or anyone else for that matter.

“So,” Carol said, clapping her hands together softly, “’Ave yeh thought of any new designs fer Drop Dead, Olleh?”

“No.”

She nodded, “And ‘ow’re things with yeh’re family Afton? They doin’ alright?”

Afton merely nodded, a little off on what the hell Carol was talking about when she realized that she’d lied to Carol about her grandmother dying, which was her reason for being so damn rude at their house when they decided to throw them a small anniversary party.

“They’re fine.”

Carol shot a look at Ian, who merely rolled his eyes, still set on the fact that there was nothing really that wrong, the young couple was just getting through a rough patch. Then, she looked over to Tom, who shrugged, knowing about the whole SJ situation, and just being convinced that’s why his brother and his girlfriend were so tense.

“Right then,” Carol said, slapping the table with her plump hands, “What’s goin’ on? Don’t lie teh meh, yeh lot.” She looked over at Tom, “Yeh know anythin’?”

“Mum,” Oliver said, “There’s nothin’ goin’ on.”

“Olleh, ‘m sick of watchin’ yeh an’ Afton like this. Somethin’ obviously ‘appened. Afton dear, yeh always look sick, and Olleh, yeh just don’t seem like yerself anymore.”

Oliver looked at Afton who smiled meekly, practically begging him to keep his mouth shut. But he couldn’t do it. Not anymore. Maybe if someone else knew about what was going on, this whole thing would just be much easier on him. He looked up at his parents and his younger brother, swallowing the lump in his throat and then back at Afton.

He grabbed her hand underneath the table and his voice shook as he tried to talk. But Afton quieted him by squeezing his hand roughly and looking at him with accusing eyes.

“Oi, I ain’t hidin’ it anymore.” Oliver hissed.

“It’s my problem. Not yeh’re family’s. They don’t need teh be worryin’.”

“They’re already worryin’. Do yeh wanna tell ‘em? ‘Cause yeh can.”

“Tell us what?” Tom asked, getting rather antsy.

He sat closest to them, hearing the whole conversation, as much as it wasn’t supposed to be heard. He’d had his suspicions this was about SJ, and he wouldn’t have been surprised if Oliver hid it from everyone, seeing as how no one liked SJ, especially after what had happened to his and Afton’s relationship only a few years ago.

Afton’s jaw clenched up and her hands held Oliver’s tightly. Her whole entire body tensed up and she let out a long breath, coughing at the end of it before raising her head and looking at the middle of the table, away from everyone’s stares.

“I have a disease,” She spoke quietly, her voice faltering, “It’s called Tuberculosis.”

The whole room fell silent as everyone shot looks towards each other. They were looks from Tom and Carol to Oliver, in which all Oliver could do was shrug his shoulders and mouth the word ‘sorry’. Looks from Ian were being sent in Tom and Carol’s direction, telling them to lay off.

Afton felt a coughing fit rise up in her throat and she pulled her hands away from Oliver’s as the first of many started to bounce against her throat. She stood up from the table and pushed her chair back, running towards the bathroom and slamming the door shut, leaning over the sink and coughing. Heaving and crying.

She’d never felt so horrible in her life. It was true, she knew that she treated Oliver horribly and he didn’t deserve it. But now she’d moved on to lying and treating his family horribly. They always had her side, letting her sleep over at their house when her parents couldn’t be bothered with her, giving her snacks after school when she sat out on the porch, because her mum had forgotten to leave behind a house key.

And here she was, almost 23 now, been taken care of them since she was about 14, and she couldn’t even tell them the truth. Once her coughing fit had racked her entire body of all her energy, she felt extremely light headed and swayed back and forth, finally losing all feeling in her legs and collapsing on the ground.

In the kitchen, the quiet arguing had instantly ceased as they heard the loud thump come from down the hall way. Oliver was quickest to his feet, but Carol told him to sit down, that Afton needed to talk to someone else besides him so she didn’t feel so suffocated.

Without knocking, Carol pushed the door open and saw splatters of blood in the sink. Her heart instantly started beating too quickly for it’s own good as her eyes found Afton passed out on the floor, her mouth covered in blood. Carol quickly pulled the hand towel from the rack and wetted it, bending down and wiping Afton’s face.

“Afton, sweetheart?” She cooed, waiting for Afton’s eyes to open, “Yeh alright?”

She nodded, trying to shift around, but only being able to lean against Carol, “’M so sorry.”

Carol shook her head, running fingers through Afton’s hair and holding her up, “Don’t be sorry. Yeh’re sick, Doll. There ain’t much yeh can do ‘bout it.”

“I should have told yeh.”

“Yeh just did.”

“I shoulda told yeh sooner.”

“It was obvious yeh were ‘urtin. We weren’t gonna badger yeh about it. Everything will be alright baby.” She looked up, seeing Oliver in the door way, too much concern on his face, “Everything will be alright.” She said again.
♠ ♠ ♠
We like comments. :D