Solstice

Winter

Being a warlock is hard. Especially when your witch of a sister (literally) is the complete opposite of you and your always fighting yet somehow you try to work it out for the fate of humanity. My name is Josh. I am a Equinox warlock. I govern over the seasons. Well one particular season. I control winter. Now that doesn't mean that I can only use my powers when it is 30 below. It just means that water and ice are the elements I can wield. And as I said before my sister Rosalyn is a Solstice witch. That is just a fancy term for saying female in our coven. We are a small coven, are race is dying. Me and my sister and my best friend and his sister (you will learn about them later) are all that are left. Our parents were never magical, Hell they raised sheep in Iowa. Equinox and Solstice witches and warlocks are born usually from non-magical parents. We are chosen, but not by a group of bureaucratic wizards, but by the seasons themselves. We are few, we are strong, but we are now being hunted. And I hope you who are reading this will find in yourself to grasp that there are magical beings. Witches, Warlocks, Wizards. But there are also magical creatures. Fairies, Nymphs, Gnomes, Trolls. You see them everyday, you walk by them as if they are someone you will never meet again. The ride with you on the bus, they fly with you on airplanes. I shall stop giving you all the details now, or my story will not keep you interested. I am here to inform you, so that if me and my coven don't make it. You will know what is out there, and you can maybe find a way to stop it. Or maybe your future son will be a Equinox, or your daughter a Solstice. I hope we can stop what is coming. I am sick of people dying.

~*~*~*~

“Josh, Josh wake up.” the soothing voice rang. I could hear her, yet I was still sleeping. I moaned and groaned. I didn't want to wake. My arms and legs still hurt from yesterday. She had shot fireballs at me and I couldn't dodge them. I usually can but, I wasn't focused.
“Rose, go away. We trained yesterday we need a break.” I pleaded, pulling the covers over my head to block out the sun finding its way into my sleepy eyes.
“No, Josh. We aren't ready. Maverick and Karina are coming to train too. Get up!” She boomed, her olive colored tone glowing in the sun as she pulled the blanket completely off of me. I groaned again as the sun blasted my face. She glared at me through deep brown eyes. Eyes that had seen more than their share of pain and heartache. Eyes that gleamed with knowledge beyond her years. I swear she was adopted. She was so maternal, yet so fierce. It brought me to laugh. “Whats so funny?” She asked, as she attempted to pull me from my queen size bed.
“Nothing other then you being like mom. Its okay. . . I like it.” I said, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I wasn't ready for today. My arms still held slight burn marks, but I just shrugged it off. Us witches heal crazy fast. But I can heal faster. I can control the element of water and ice. I am a Winter Equinox. And since I control water, I can do a few healing incantations and charms that get me up and running a lot faster then the others. I could feel the warming sensation radiate from my arm. I could see the glow it left on the outside of my skin. Then the marks were gone. My arm felt loose, alive and ready for action.
“You know. I have never had to make you heal me. But that's also because you have never laid a good one on me.” Rosalyn smarted off quickly running out of the room laughing.
“You just wait, Rosie. I will get you my pretty. . . and your little dog too.” I yelled, leaning over my bed so I could see down the hallway. Our house was quite, quint and lonely. But we managed. I needed Rose and much as she needed me. Our parents were killed in a magical free for all by some werewolves. Ever since then Rosie and me have vowed to train to kill Micah the leader of the werewolves. Whom is also the major heartache that plagues Rose's eyes.

I made my way over to my wardrobe, the thick cherry wood finish that smelled of pine-sol made me cringe my nose. Dammit. I thought. I hate it when she cleans my room. The wardrobe was filled with clothes, but a particular type. I grabbed my white V-neck and my black jeans. Yep, I am classy. After that was taken care of I raced down stairs for breakfast. I entered the large kitchen of our modern Victorian Mansion and saw whom I was hoping would be there. Maverick.
“Maverick!” I screamed, rushing into his arms. “Oh, how I have missed you. How was Lake Erie?”
“It was great. Though the merpeople are getting restless. They know something is going on. And they want to know what side to be on.” He said as he took his arms away from me.
“So what did you tell them?” I asked, as I took a seat next to his sister Karina. She was nibbling on a piece of Rosie's self proclaimed famous French Toast.
“I told them that the darksiders are becoming violent. Vampires, Ghouls, and Werewolves were the main threat. I just told them that if the time came, we might need their help.” I nodded. I understood this all to well since the death of my parents. It was horrible.
“Rose, can you slap me a flap jack?” I asked. My stomach protesting against me. I hadn't realized how hungry I was.
“Sure thing, anything else?” I shook my head. I didn't want a large breakfast slowing me down. Though speed wasn't my strong suit. I was all about brains.

After breakfast we made our way to the backyard, or shall I say. Back arena. All of us built the large training facility after our parents died. It was filled with, dummies, targets, and objects that went with each element. A pond for me. A small fire that never went out for Rosalyn. And for Mav and Karina it was limitless for them. Karina is a Solstice witch of Spring. Which means she rules over air and plant life. Maverick is a Equinox of Autumn. Meaning he rules over earth and plant death. I know that sounds melodramatic but it is true. Rose looked at me after we were all outside.
“Josh, your going first this time. Since you never get a hit anyway.” I laughed dryly.
“Hahaha, your funny. Who am I going up against?” I looked around and finally the one voice I wasn't expecting to hear chimed in. It was Karina.
“Me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments = updates.