Corner of the World

Rock'n'Roll

"Mmm cheese burger." Seb taunts as he waves the bread, meat and cheese in front of my face. I kick at him but he dodges my foot and smirks with laughter. Same joke for the whole eight years I've been vegetarian. He goes off to the other end of the couch I'm sitting on and starts eating it.
"I don't miss them at all." I sneer.
"Liar."
"You didn't spend a whole summer making those crap cakes!" I say and Evan just shakes his head laughing.
"Oh, and the award for cutest couple goes to. . . " Maureen snickers.
"Shove it!" Seb says pointing directly at her.

Yeah, this is us, hanging in the green room distracting each other from our nerves. We're a band by the way. Severed Attention. We've been a band since we were seventeen, now look at us. In the green room waiting to be tonight's entertainment at The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. We loved playing the underground stuff but we couldn't say no when the major labels came knocking.

"We're ready for ya now." a young woman, no older than thirty says sticking her head into the room.
"Yeah!" Evan cheers as Seb puts his hamburger down on the table. We follow the woman to the side of the stage. One of the techs hands me my bass which is hooked up to the gigantic amps.
"This is fucking awesome." I say in a loud whisper to Seb.
"Honestly." he says with bright eyes, "Playing for the greats." He bites down nervously on his guitar pick then smiles at me, "Nervous?"
"You know I am." I say with an uneasy laugh.
"You'll do great." he says kissing the side of my head.

"Now!" the young woman says motioning us on stage. Maureen runs to sit at her drum set which was set up on an elevated part of the stage. I stand on the edge of the drum elevation and raise my fist into the air absorbing the applause. Seb takes center stage in front of the microphone and Evan takes his place on the side of the stage opposite of me.
"We're Severed Attention and we're gonna pay tribute to The Clash tonight!" he says enthusiastically. Maureen counts us off and then she and Evan start playing London Calling. I wait an eight count before me and Seb start playing.

Seb is awesome at imitating the great Joe Strummer's voice, when he talks he sounds so twitchy it amazes everyone how deep his voice can go when he sings. I leap off the drum elevation so I can get to my mic to sing back up during the chorus. We finish the song, with an awesome solo courtesy of Evan and the audience of rock geniuses applaud.

"Lets kick it up a notch!" Seb yells, "WHITE RIOT!!!!!!!"
"YEAH!" I yell at the top of my lungs into the microphone, "One, two, three, four!" And like an explosion we start playing in unison.

That's me, Jacklyn, a twenty-five year old bassist complete with cherry red hair. I'm in a wicked awesome band, not that I wanna show off or anything. I like jumping around on stage playing bass and singing. I couldn't ask for anything more in life. Except for the fact the I'm fucking horny, life at this moment is fucking awesome. Touring is exhausting, I haven't slept or eaten properly in a year and half but fuck it.

Later, at a bar, not far away from the hall of fame, I'm sitting next to a very sexy looking guy.
"So, what do you do?" I ask casually as I sip my drink.
"Actually I'm a sophomore in college." he says raising an eyebrow.
"Oh." I say graciously, I had issues with dating younger guys, but even more with younger guys still in school, "well my date's here, see you later." I get up, grab my drink and make my way toward Seb.

"Talk to me." I hiss. He laughs, "You put on a sexy show tonight."
"Awe, shucks." he chuckles, "So what's wrong with that guy."
"Sophomore."
"Ahh." he laughs, "You do realize, I'm younger than you and-"
"Yeah, but that's like by a month, it doesn't count." I mumble.
"Oh Jackie."
"And I had such high hopes of getting laid tonight." I tease.
"We can always turn to plan B." he says bringing his beer bottle to his mouth.
"Totally." I say seriously, "Come on." I grab his hand and lead him straight out of the bar as a wicked smile spreads across his face.

And this is Seb, making out with me on my hotel room bed. Seb and I were and technically, still are married. Yeah, we got married when we were nineteen but decided to split up two years later. We figured if White Stripes could get divorced and still keep a band, so could we, especially since we had two other members to keep us from killing each other. We got on such good terms we hook up every once in a while when we're truly lonely.

Seb is the fill guitarist and lead singer of our band. He's got the typical punk look : scrawny, wirery and full of energy. His hair is in tiny black and green spikes and his lips are pressed against my bare collar bone.