Corner of the World

The Ring

Waking up refreshed I turn to look at Seb who's still asleep. He has a silver chain around his neck that looks like its going to choke him if he moves his hand even an inch. I loosen it from his hand so it slinks loosely around his neck when I see a golden ring hanging from it. His wedding ring. He snorts then rubs his eyes.
"Last night was fun." he yawns.
"Why do you have your wedding ring around your neck?" I ask curiously.
"Because we split up and it would be weird to have it on my finger." he says turning onto his side to look at me.
"But why wear it at all?"
"Because technically we're still married."
"Yeah, because we're too goddamn lazy to file for a divorce." I say rolling my eyes.
"Awe c'mon, I still love you." he says kissing my lips lightly, "Just not as much as I used to." he sticks out his tongue evilly and I shove at him.
"What about when you're with someone else?"
"You know as well as I do, that doesn't happen all that often. We don't get groupies, remember?" he laughs.
"Yeah, but you've had girlfriends."
"Yeah, so? Its not like they ask me about it." he chuckles.
"I feel kinda stupid not noticing you've been wearing that around your neck for like three years."
"In all fairness, I've only been wearing it for like a year, since our first umm plan B." he says yawning and stretching his arms, "What's the big deal anyway?"
"Nothing." I mumble as I get out of bed and head toward the washroom.

"Do you still have yours?" he calls across the hotel room as I'm about to turn on the shower.
"Yeah." I say turning on the water and stepping in right away.
"Where do you keep it?" he asks, I pretend not to hear him as I start to rinse my hair. I see his shadow through the shower curtain of him standing at the door, "Where do you keep it?"
"In my bag." I say overly-casually.
"Like just loose and free?"
"No." I state simply, "Do you want me to keep the water running?"
"Huh? Umm sure." he says slightly confused, "Like a purse?"
"I don't really carry a purse." I say as I step out of the shower and grab a towel.
"How do you keep your ring then?" he says slightly annoyed.
"What's the deal?"
"You know where mine is, where the hell's yours?" he says, his voice slightly muffled by the running water, "If you threw it out the bus window or something, its okay, I'm just curious."

I get dressed and leave the room, heading to Maureen's. She answers the door still half asleep and let's me in.
"No need to tell me, I saw you leave the bar with Seb." she yawns, "I'm just surprised there wasn't a morning romp."
"Oh you're funny." I say sarcastically, "Did you know he's been wearing his wedding ring around his neck for the past year."
"Yeah." she says sitting on her bed and turning on the TV.
"I only found out this morning."
"Well, he always wears it under his shirt."
"Yeah, but we've fucked around quite a few times in the past year and I haven't noticed."
"Maybe he takes it off so you won't." she sighs, "I don't know, what do you want me to tell you?"

This is Maureen, or Reeny for short. She's like the only level-headed person in our band. She's our drummer. But just because she's level-headed, especially before her morning coffee doesn't mean she can't party hardy. She has jet black hair cut in jagged layers and wears either purple or green eyeshadow.

"Did I wake you up?"
"Naw," she says shaking her head, "Wanna go get some coffee? I'm gonna get dressed." she gets up and heads over to her bag. I lie on her bed and stare pointlessly at the ceiling while she gets dressed.

"Let's go?" she asks, I roll off the bed and we head out and just my luck Seb is leaving my room.
"Oh there you are." he says in a big charade.
"Yeah, yeah, the whole fucking world knows you still fuck around." Maureen states bluntly, "We're getting coffee now."
"Uhh yeah okay, is Evan coming?"
"Good question." Maureen says as she goes over to his hotel room door and kicks it. We wait a couple of seconds until he answers the door in his boxers.
"What do you guys want?" he groans.
"We're going for coffee." Seb informs.
"Have fun." he says shutting the door in our faces.

None of us are morning people, but Evan is the absolute worst. He once almost stabbed Seb in the hand with a fork for trying to steal a piece of his toast.

"Right then, I think that's a no." I chuckle as we head toward the elevators.