Status: Work-In-Progress

Love at First Cut...? Excuse Me, but I'm So Not Your Bloodmate

Life is difficult, why? Because Heath Baredell lives here.

STILL HEATHS POV.

Keeping up with her car was easy. It was just like walking to any normal person.

Her bobbing head didn’t end until the song did. I felt a tiny smile form in amusement, but got rid of it as soon as it had come.

Pets like her, aren’t worth a smile.

She pulled up to a familiar house.

I studied it over. Where had I seen this house before…?

I brushed it off. Why care so much about the house, after all. I’ve visited millions and millions of houses in my whole lifetime. And the only thing that I think has ever changed about them is that they got less tacky.

I looked around the night air, and licked my lips. There were plenty of humans here to feed on.

All of their scents mixed with sweat and alcohol.

I thought I could just walk in there and massacre the whole place, because I was so hungry.

But I knew better. That human girl had a knack of making me less violent. She’d end up running to the police and I’d have to leave town, and may never see my bloodmate. Ever.

Not that I cared…

Even though I did.

Wait-.

DAMNIT!!! I need to find that stupid vampiress and KILL her.

It unsettled me to watch the girl wander into the party alone, though I didn’t know why.

So I did what I didn’t think I’d ever do for a piece of food.

I followed her into the smoke-filled house, to keep an eye on her.

Or just to figure out what girls like her do at night. I mean, she obviously wasn’t a good girl, or she’d be at home on this breezy Thursday night, studying for her next exam.

Or at least, I think they still called them exams?

I hadn’t been in school in over a hundred years, but that was only because I wanted to feed on the teachers.

Her steps got slower as she took in her surroundings.

I saw many of the guys un-latch from their current “breasted-babes”, to look at her.

I laughed at the girls shocked, angry expressions, and the sound made all their heads whiplash towards me.

I forgot my voice was melodic. It had to be, it’s one of the ways we attract our prey.

They all seemed to swoon.

I picked out a few I knew would be good in bed, and the thought of a bloodmate popped in my head.

I pushed it out angrily. I hated having that stupid girl interrupt my sexual daydreams with other girls.

I looked ahead, back at the temperamental blonde girl that kicks rocks at cars.

She kept walking. My gaze was fixed on her back, and her butt.

She’d be hot if she weren’t such a bitch. Or if you didn’t fate get in the way.

I again, ignored that thought.

She paused, and slowly turned around.

Maybe my gaze had been to hard, and she could feel it on her.

I hid in a hallway, the darkness shading me from her view.

Her eyes scanned the room lazily, and she went back to looking around.

She hadn’t met up with a guy here yet, like all the other girls had.

So why was she here?

Definitely not for the music, because she seemed to cringe at the insipid beats that echoed in the house.

So why?

I watched her enter the kitched and grab a beer.

That same tiny smile twitched at the corner of my mouth.

Sure, she wasn’t worth smiling for. But it was amusing to see a high-schooler drink beer at a college party.

More guys became interested as she scanned the kitchen’s containments.

She locked eyes with one of them and her eyes melted his confidence at once.

Now that I had to laugh at.

How a what, 17, 18 year old girl could make a grown man break… I didn’t know how.

She chugged the beer down and shook her head at it’s strong aroma. She smiled satisfied, before grabbing another one.

If the girl could even drive home, I would be amazed.

She started to drink the other one while scanning the party.

She went up to some girl excitedly and stroke a conversation.

I leaned in a little to hear.

“WHITTNEY!” The blonde screamed.

The woozy and drunk girl with brown and red streaked-hair turned around.

“HEY DERRIAN!” She slurred. So that was her name? I felt bad. Her parents must have really wanted a boy.

“Where’s my sister??”

“IIIII, dunnoooo.” The girl named Whittney giggled in reply.

“She needs to get home or my mom will legitimately murder her.”

Who says legitimately anymore? Last time I heard that was in the 60’s.

“Prolly upstairrss with Er-ic!” She hiccupped.

Derrian looked her over and nodded disapprovingly before heading my way.

I hid in the shadows again as she passed me. Her scent tickled my nose. It smelled like perfume, something spicy and unexplainable.

She marched up the stairs rather vigorously.

Knowing I should probably go home now, I couldn’t help but wonder what the night would bestow.

I slowly followed her up the wooden platform, stairs. I knew which door she was going to.

The one with all the moaning.

It brought back memories.

GOOD memories. I smiled despite myself.

The feeling of feminine skin underneath me…

Begging me for more…

My thoughts broke when yelling suddenly came from the room.

“WHAT THE FUCK!” Derrian yelled.

Gasps, and shuffling was soon heard after.

“YOU!” She said, pointing at someone I couldn’t see.

“GET YOUR FIRECROTCH DRESSED AND WAIT IN THE CAR!”

More shuffling was heard and a redheaded girl, with makeup smeared across her face and sweat drenched on her skin passed me.

She smelled like orgasm.

Immediately my own hormones kicked in. But something like a wall was keeping them from letting me move.

It’s like I wanted to get some, but my legs wouldn’t move.

The girl continued to wobble down the stairs drunk, and almost fell a couple of times.

And instead of helping her, I just laughed out loud.

More girls heads looked at me and they winked.

I would have winked back, but that brick wall was immobile, and I just couldn’t.

I squeezed my fists angrily, and she retreated back to her boy toy.

This whole ‘in love’ thing was turning out to be such a pain in the ass.

“AND YOU!” Derrian’s voice was heard once more.

“YOU GET THAT 3-INCH PENIS WITHIN THE VICINITY OF MY SISTER AGAIN, AND YOU’LL BE SO MUCH PAIN, YOU’LL BE BEGGING FOR A SEX CHANGE!”

Derrians shoes clicked on the floorboards and I turned away.

Her maddened expression clear and readable on her face.

I raised an eyebrow. I had never thought of her to be the motherly-type.

I leaned against the wall. Watching her and her sister storm outside.

Derrian mainly dragging her sister into the topless car and putting it in reverse.

A silenced roar was heard within the same room as before.

In the blink of any human eye, a man appeared over the balcony, starring aggressively out the window. He leaped down the stairs in a familiar way, into the dark, night air.

His clenched fists broke a few of his bones and he came back inside.

I looked directly at his face and my whole body froze.

I know why I knew this house so well now.

DERRIAN-

“Get in the car Sam.” I instructed rather aggressively.

Ok, so I was being a total bitch.

“W-why are you herreeeee?” She dragged out her words, falling over herself as she attempted to safely get into the car.

“I’m saving your ass from herpes, and gonorrhea, that’s why I’m here.” I said, slamming my own car door. I backed out of the driveway aggressively. The stick shift flying under my hands.

She better not have gonorrhea, because that is disgusting.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING! Sure I didn’t really fancy that Ryan kid, but going out with a college kid? Why don’t you permanently staple “RAPE ME” to your forehead.

“Or do you already have it on there?” I questioned, lifting up her bangs.

She didn’t.

“Stop yelling, my hangover’s becoming a bitch.”

“Stop being the school whore and I won’t.” I knew my words were harsh, and I knew they hurt. But seeing that guy with his pickle in my sister’s donut was not only something I could have died WITHOUT seeing, but totally embarrassing.

I mean what do I have to live up to now. Why couldn’t I have been the middle child. Sure I wasn’t perfect, but I could certainetly live up to Alora’s status at the school much better than Sam.

Shit.

Now people are going to think I’m a whore.

“FUCK.” I said, slamming the horn.

The cars around me honked back, and I flicked them off.

“You really screwed up Sam. I’ve stood by you, and even found some of your drunk-ass moments funny, but this is too far. This-.” I paused pointing at her torn clothes, that weren’t really clothes to start with, more like rags placed upon her body, and her smeared makeup.

“Is pathetic.”

I was done with her. For all I care she CAN get raped next time, serves her right. She can’t even begin to believe how embarrassing it was for me to pull her out of that room by force and make a scene.

Seriously, why wasn’t I an only child?

GASP! I must be adopted. Yes, that’s it. I’ll let mom break it easy to me when I get home and beg her to tell me that I was.

We pulled into our neighborhood.

I was currently still ranting and raving in my head when I heard it.

The faint sound of whimpering.

I pulled over to the side of the road and sighed.

I looked over at my sister. She had her knees pulled up to her chest and she was sobbing like a four year old.

I brushed my hands through my hair.

I was being a bitch. That was obvious.

Though she might be the school’s biggest whore of all time, she was still my sister.

Adopted or not, we use to push each other on the swings and play hide and seek together, and help each other open water bottles when our hands were too sweaty.

I knew she was hurting. I knew she dealt with the constant pressure from Mom, Dad, and Alora differently than I did.

So I hugged her. And after a few seconds her arms flung around my neck too.

I ignored the fact that my shoulder was getting soaked with tears and most likely snot. I’d just change when I got home.

When we pulled away, she smiled up at me.

Though her makeup was even more smeared, it had also faded. The mask she painted on every morning was gone. I saw the fragile girl underneath it, I saw my sister.

“Thanks.” She breathed into the cold night air, creating a smoke that surrounded her words.

“No problem.” I smiled back at her, smoke also hanging around my every word.

“What are you going to tell mom.” I hadn’t thought about that.

I knew I wouldn’t sell her out. I think what I had said hit her hard enough.

“Depends. Never do that again, and I’ll lie.” She sighed deeply, and finally shook her head.

“Ok.”

“Pinky Promise?” I stuck out my stubby pinky and she laughed heartedly.

We hadn’t pinky-promised since we were little kids.

“Yeah.” She linked her pinky with my own.

And so it was settled. No more hard partying for Sam.

I put the car in drive and headed towards the house.

Mom was waiting in the kitchen. Her foot taping loudly. Echoing all the silent rooms with her built up anger.

Sam and I exchanged looks before heading her way.

There was no escape, in order to get to the stairs; you had to pass through the kitchen.

I took a step forward, figuring out what I was going to say in my head.

Sam grabbed my arm.

“I’d rather wait all night in the cold and come in later.”

I whisper-laughed at her. “Mom would be up, you know that.”

This was true, how do you think Alora was so smart, and I was so cunning and Sam was… well, charismatic?

It was all because of our mother. –If we played dirty, she’d just get dirtier.

Sam nodded, accepting her death wish.

First my eyes me with her one tapping foot; it never seized.

Then I trailed up to see her in her fuzzy pajamas, with little black dogs on them. She bought it because she thought they looked like Ruffus.

Every button on her shirt was buttoned up. This meant business.

She had a coffee mug in her hand, barely full.

I glanced at the counter and saw that she had made a whole pot full of coffee, giving her 3-4 more cups.

Sam noticed it too. “See, I told you.” I whispered.

“So…” Our mom began.

“Anyone want to tell me where you two have been?”

Her voice was glazed over and cold.

Her tongue sharpened, and ready to cut into the both of us.

“Sam was at Ryan’s house. He broke up with her, and I found her walking the streets back to our house.”

Our mom cocked an eyebrow.

“Then why are her clothes torn?”

“I ran through the woods, and people’s yards. You see, I thought I could find a shortcut here, but I ended up getting lost. So my clothes got caught and ripped, and my hair’s wet from running through people’s late-night sprinklers.”

Her face hadn’t changed. It was still cold, still quiet like a country that was about to sign off for war.

She sat down her mug slowly, and turned back to us.

“MY PORE BABY!” She cracked, her eyes glazed with fresh tears.

She ran up to Sam and gave her a big hug. I sighed inwardly, surprised that that had worked.

Sam had the same shocked expression as me. We usually never got away with anything.

Mom froze.

“Why do you smell like beer?”

“Uh…” Sam stuttered.

I felt the sweat clam up my face. I had to think fast or we’d both be in trouble.

I motioned hand signals to Sam, behind mom’s back. She stuck a thumbs up.

“I think Ryan was drinking.” She answered.

“Yeah, he smelt really bad when I went over to his house to see if you were there earlier.”

I thought she hadn’t bought it. I prayed she had.

“What a jerk.” She growled.

“You’re not to see him ever again, you understand me young lady??” She said in her parental voice.

“I don’t think that’ll be a problem.” Sam answered her. I almost laughed.

This was too easy.

“You’re still grounded for leaving the house without telling me.” Mom said, sternly at Sam.

So it was too easy….

“How long?” She asked.

“The rest of the week.” AKA: only 3 more days.

“Ok, that’s fair.” Sam bit her lip.

Mom hugged me, and thanked me for retrieving her before she poured out her coffee, and headed for bed.

Sam and I grabbed a glass of water, and together headed upstairs as well.

Right before we parted though, she stopped and looked at me.

“What?” I asked, looking at myself for the reason why she was staring.

“You’re a great little sister you know that?”

“I don’t care what mom or dad say, you’re growing up just fine.”

I smiled. Sam had never been so nice to me before. I felt… better.

It was weird. Though tomorrow we’d probably both act like tonight never happened, but for now.

I was happy, happy that someone believed I wasn’t as bad as my parents thought I was. Even if it was my Oreo-stealing sister.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

I woke up the next morning in a cheerful mood.

I even put on my favorite outfit.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/app#foo

Lookin freshhh. I thought amusingly to myself.

I let my hair fall on my face naturally, and even made it down in time for breakfast.

“EGGGGGGS!” I screamed in delight at the sight of the fluffy yellow pieces of protein in front of me.

My dad chuckled to himself.

“Scrambled, I presume?” He asked as I took my seat.

“Yessss please!” I smiled mischievously, holding my knife and fork in a vertical position.

Sam was already positioned next to me, eating quietly.

I felt guilt hit my gut. When she was fighting with my parents that was completely normal. It’s when she’s not that scares me.

I tapped her foot with my own under the table.

She looked up and smiled fakely. She barely had any makeup on today and oddly, she looked better without it. Not as cakey, and more natural.

I knew she was acting weird, but whatever was bugging her would have to wait till after breakfast.

I hate my eggs silently too. Just thinking.

Had last night affected her?

She’s lied and snuck out so many times, but usually she got caught.

Was the fact that she got away with it really eating at her?

Cause pshhh. I was fine.

We both finished and chugged down our orange juices.

“Well that’s odd.” My dad stated as he leaned against one of the counters.

“What?” Sam and I asked in unison.

“You two, you are never this quiet!” He smiled warmly.

My dad was like a big teddybear, warm-hearted and jolly, while my mom was like an actually grizzly bear, with a 6-foot tall ego.

“Sorry dad.” I said walking up and giving him a giant hug. He returned it lovingly and I smiled in delight.

“Yeah, sorry.” Sam still mumbled, grabbing her book bag and heading out the door.

Dad gave her back a concerned look.

“I’ll find out what it is.” I tapped him on the shoulder and smiling at him, before grabbing my own book bag and running, in efforts to catch up to my moody sister.

She waited for me? Weird…

Once I had put my book bag in the back seat with hers, and settled in, she calmly started up the car.

Half way through a silent car ride, I asked her.

“What’s wrong with you, and I don’t want some bullshit excuse you make up on spot.” I commanded.

She sighed, running a hand through her hair.

“Do you think we should have told mom?” She finally answered.

“I mean, I don’t really care- and I didn’t think you would, but obviously you do, am I right?”

“I’m just not use to them being ‘nice’ to me, or at least nicer than usual.”

“Well, when we get home we can tell her the truth if you’d like?”

“Yeah, maybe.” She said painfully.

I looked at her incongruously.

She braked suddenly, and unbuckled. I sat in alarm as she ran out of the car, onto the side of the road, and puked her guts out.

Her scarf floated in the wind as she pulled her hair back to finish puking.

I sat awkwardly, searching for radio stations to listen to.

She finally came back in, buckled, and started the car like there was nothing wrong.

I looked at her wide-eyed.

“Uh, Hello? What the F*ck was that?” I pushed.

“It’s nothing. I just don’t feel very good today.”

“I must have a hangover.” She stated, more to herself than to me. As if she needed the convincing.

“O…k…..” I said, and you could almost feel the awkward in the car.

Instead of reassuring me, the discomfort was cut like a knife when she turned on the radio to Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance”, and blasted it.

I furrowed my eyebrows as we turned down the last road until we reached the school.

One thought lingered,

Didn’t hangovers make you sensitive to noise?

I kept the same quizzical expression walking up to the front entrance. I thought I’d be late because of my sister’s odd road-side-entertainment scene-thing, but the first bell rang just as I stepped in.

People all around me were whispering to one another, as if it were the Fall Dance already. Or some teacher had died, or before Christmas break, like they always do. But none of those things were even close to occurring.

I didn’t see any of my friends waiting in our usual spot either.

I shrugged my shoulders and headed off to my first period.

Disgusted, halfway there I realized I smelt of throw up. I whined inwardly and ran to the bathroom.

I washed of part of my shirt, hoping to rid a little bit of the stench, before rummaging through my purse for some perfume.

I coated myself in it.

Finally, when I was satisfied, long after the tardy bell had rung, I headed to class.

On the way, I felt eyes on my back.

So I turned around. No one was there. But as soon as I kept walking, I felt them again. When I couldn’t take the eyes boring into my back any longer, I turned.

Nothing. Angry, I half ran to class.

The feeling of someone following me had not left at all. I entered rather hastily and quickly started towards my seat.

Immediately the class hushed, and then erupted into whispers. All there heads were at the door I had just come from.

They never cared about my lateness before…? I thought as I took a seat, and set my stuff down.

“Everyone, this is Heath Baredell.” The teacher spoke.

Who? I thought, turning my gaze to where everyone else’s was.

Well shit.