Status: completed.

Baby, It's You & No One Else

I can't lose her

"You!" I gasped, looking him over in disgust and crossing my arms over my chest, both of us locked in a heated stare down, nobody willing to give in, knowing who ever called chicken first, lost the bigger battle.

"Riley-" Adam started but I cut him off.

"Shut your fucking mouth, Adam. I don't want to hear anything that you have to say. But I have one thing to say to you: go to hell." I snapped at him, my eye burning with rage as I sized him up, watching as he timidly reached out to me. I slapped his hand down and quickly bustled across the street, Adam hot on my heels.

"Riley, stop!" Adam screamed, his hand grabbing my forearm and pulling me to a stand still. I glared at him and punched his arm, making him let go of me.

"Don't touch me," I snapped darkly.

"No, you need to hear me out and listen to me. You're obviously not going to talk to Eric so I'm going to talk to you for him."

"If I didn't listen to him, why would I listen to you," I seethed, turning and walking away from him.

"Because I am the only person who can guarantee you that Eric didn't cheat." He called to me. Despite what my body was telling me, I slowly turned back to Adam who's look of relief was complimented by a deep sigh.

"How do I know that you aren't just covering his ass?" I asked him, my hard eyes penetrating him.

"I think you know as well as I do that Eric wouldn't do that to you. He loves you so unconditionally and he's going absolutely crazy without you. He can't function; he needs you and I can tell that you're just as miserable as he is." I sighed and closed my eyes, hating the now familiar sting of tears in my eyes.

"Adam, I'm not doubting that he loves me. But we both know shit happens when you drink to much. That fucking bitch from high school was there with him in Florida. The one person I can't stand was around him, not to mention she would do anything to hop on his dick."

"Riley, do you trust Eric?" Adam asked. I looked away, watching as people bustled along the sidewalk. Adam pulled my chin softly back to look into his eyes. "Do you trust him?" I looked at him, and closed my eyes, nodding.

"I trust Eric with my life." I whispered, knowing it was so true that it was what was pulling me through this right now.

Adam cupped my cheeks with his hands, tilting my face up and wiping the tears from my eyes, "then listen to me. I was with Eric that night. Yes, he was with me when I cheated on Katie." I winced at that sentence and the silence hung over us as the words sunk in.

"Fine, I'll talk to you." I told him, walking around him and sitting down on a bench. I threw my back pack on the ground, waiting for Adam to get situated. "Before we start, this doesn't change how pissed I am about you cheating on Katie. She didn't deserve that and quite frankly, you don't deserve her."

"I know I don't and I honestly have no idea why she took me back." He muttered, the pain evident on his face as he closed his eyes.

"It's because she loves you." I stated.

"But that didn't bring you back to Eric," He whispered softly. The winter wind blew the hair from my face, the cold stinging the wetness of my cheeks. I pursed my lips, holding myself together.

Adam heaved a big sigh, running his hand through his hair roughly and settling in for the story. "It was just a night on the town, it wasn't meant to be a big deal. Yeah, Lindsey and some other groupies of the football team came down but none of us paid any attention to them. They tagged along to the club that night, knowing that it was our last night in town and we would be celebrating in grand fashion. So we get to the club, have a couple drinks and every one is tipsy. Eric is basically the only one coherent because he's been texting you all night, whining like a little bitch about how much he misses you."

"Hey," I warned him.

"Sorry, but it's true. Anyway, the groupies start getting frisky on the dance floor and I watched Lindsey march over to Eric, knowing she was the girl in high school who almost broke you guys up. Despite the fact that I had that girl grinding all over me, I was still watching Eric. Lindsey did the normal, starting off slow and then go in fast for the kill. Well by then I needed another drink so I walked over there, watching as she pressed her fake boobs into Eric. I don't think I've ever seen the kid so disgusted and creeped out before. All he kept saying was, I have a girlfriend, I'm not interested in you, get off of me. She didn't stop though and eventually Eric got tired of it and came up to me. He told me he was sick of the club scene and he really just wanted to go home and sleep so he could wake up refreshed tomorrow."

"I agreed with him but Lindsey came and wrapped her arms around his waist, pressing her lips all on his neck. Eric tensed up and whirled around, physically shoving her onto the nearest bar stool. He completely snapped at her, yelling that she needed to step the fuck off because he wasn't interested in fake, money hungry whores. Lindsey actually attempted to slap him across the face but Eric grabbed her hand, telling her she'd ruin her already chipped manicure. It was hilarious." Adam laughed. I smiled, picturing Eric snapping at Lindsey.

"How do you remember this if you were so drunk?" I asked him, knowing that when Adam was drunk, he was absolutely plastered.

"Because of what he said after that. I asked him why he was leaving and told him not to let her bother him. Eric shook his head at me, telling me that if I loved Katie as much as he loved you, I'd leave and go back to the hotel with him. I laughed at him, telling him he was a love sick puppy and that he was being ridiculous. He told me I'd regret not leaving because if I did something stupid, I would look back on that moment and wish I would have left. Eric was so right. But right before he left you actually called him. The picture came up for your caller ID, the one where Eric's arms are wrapped tightly around you on your anniversary, his lips pressed to your cheek. He looked down at the picture, his whole face lighting up like his phone in the club. And he showed me the picture saying, "she's the reason I'm leaving," and walked out of the club."

My heart beat slowly in my chest, my whole body relaxing at Adam's words. I thought back on the night Adam was referring too, everything he just described matching up. Eric did text me all night, telling me where he was and that he was pretty sick of Florida. He did whine about how he wanted to come home to me and I remember missing him so much that I needed to call him and hear his voice for reassurance.

I looked down at the ground, closing my eyes and running my hand through my hair roughly. I shook my head at Adam's words, not sure if I should believe him or not. It was so much easier to just think he cheated because it was absolute. But knowing that Lindsey had her lips and hands on him was enough to make my whole body turn to ice. There was no one in this world that I wanted to hurt more than Lindsey.

"That little bitch better hopes I don't get my hands on her. I'll kill her." I told Adam, my eyes narrowing at the snow that covered the sidewalk.

"Yeah but don't you see, Riley? You basically fell into the trap that Lindsey set. She always hated you and him together, and now that you're apart, she has her opportunity." Adam insisted.

"I think that's a load of bullshit that you and Eric decided would sound good to me," I told him honestly. I heaved another sight, rolling my eyes up to the grey sky and wishing I could just find a time machine. Oh what I wouldn't give to have Eric stay with me instead of going to Florida.

"Riley, you have to listen to both me and him when we tell you that he is crazy in love with you. He's a wreck. I don't know how he will be able to play in the bowl game. He won't eat or sleep and he's dropping passes left and right." Adam told me.

"That isn't my problem. I'm not going to forgive him just so the team can have a shot in the bowl game."

"There is nothing to forgive him for! He didn't cheat on you!" Adam stressed, beyond frustrated with me. "You know that he didn't cheat Ry. You know deep down in your heart because my story matches up perfectly with what was going on that night with you and Eric. He was texting you the whole night and he called you when he was leaving the club. You know Riley."

"It doesn't change the fact that he was with you when you did were cheating. I don't know if he just went outside and went back in. So no, Adam. I don't know." I snapped at him, standing up and walking away. Adam didn't bother to follow me this time. He knew it would be futile and would just make things worse. I bit my lip as the familiar tears stung against the backs of my eyes, desperately trying to fall but I wouldn't let them. I was sick of being weak. It was time to be strong, and what better place to do it than in Duluth with Kara.
***

It was a hot summer day at the end of August, with September creeping around the corner. The air was sticky and you were sweating just by sitting on the porch like I currently was, fuming as I stared down at the rock steps that lead up to the porch. The sound of a car turning into the driveway met my ears as I pursed my lips, immediately annoyed by the sound of the car door slamming. Footfalls against the pavement came next, coming fast and then slowing as they came closer to me. Nike Shox came into view next before my boyfriend bent down to my level, tilting my chin up so I was forced to look at him. His brown eyes met mine and a brief moment of oh shit flashed through his before he sighed deeply.

"I definitely did something and I have no idea what." He confessed, sitting down on the porch step below me.

"You think?" I snapped at him, rolling my eyes as the rage burned in my green eyes, setting them ablaze.

"Ry," Eric spoke with a defensive edge, "can you tell me so we can fix this?"

"Sure, how about you tell me what the fuck Lindsey was doing sitting on your lap at the bonfire last night?" I snarled at him, my lip curling up as I spoke, my teeth gritted. Eric closed his eyes for a second, sucking in a breath before slowly pushing it out.

"That didn't mean anything," he assured me, trying to grab my hand. I slapped it down.

"Don't touch me. I don't want you touching me." I snapped at him. He held his hands up and scooted away from me a bit on the step. I looked away from him, training my steely gaze on his truck, the images of what could have happened playing out in my mind. I grimaced and turned my head completely away from Eric as the tears stung my eyes, pooling up and blurring my vision slightly.

"Anybody but her Eric. ANYBODY BUT HER." My voice shook as a few tears trickled over my eyelids, free-falling down my face.

"Riley, nothing happened," he soothed me with words.

"And I'm supposed to believe just your word? Why!? Why should I when she shouldn't have been anywhere near you to begin with!?" I screamed at him, standing up and stomping into the house, slamming the porch door behind me. I ran up the stairs, catching myself as I almost tripped back down. I burst into my room, kicking my door shut and throwing myself on my bed as the tears broke me down.

I cried until I couldn't anymore, the tears wiping me out as I stared up at my ceiling, only a couple stray ones leaking from my swollen eyes. I hiccuped lightly, the after math of the sobs, as I took in my first deep breath since I got in my room. I sniffled a bit as my door creaked open. I didn't bother lifting my head, knowing it was Eric. He laid down on the bed next to me, his fingers lacing with those of my right hand. I sucked my cheeks in and turned away from him, looking towards my desk.

"Riley, look at me." Eric demanded softly, his other hand turning my face back to his. He took in my swollen eyes and wrapped his arm around the small of my back, pulling us together. I buried my face in his chest, the tears returning. "Baby, it was nothing. She came and sat on my lap, I didn't think it was a big deal and I'm sorry, I should have known you wouldn't have liked it. But Riley, you're my one and only honey." He cooed softly in my ear, smoothing my hair and successfully getting the tears to stop.

"Eric, I hate her, she's a filthy slut who just wants you for the fame and everything you're going to be someday. She doesn't love you like I do." I mumbled to him, sniffing.

"Honey, you don't need to make a case for why you're better. You too are not comparable. I love you and I honestly don't care about her. Look at me." Eric whispered softly, his hand ready to tilt my chin up if I nodded, which I did. He lifted my head, placing his lips softly on mine. "I love you and only you. Never forget that."

"I love you too, Eric," I breathed out, my mind at ease once again.

"Riley, I'm serious. You're the only one I want to be with, that won't change. I meant what I said at prom, we'll be together through everything. You're my everything and I'd do anything to keep you mine. I would never jeopardize what I have because I know what I have in my arms right now, is the best thing I'm ever going to find. So if this ever happens again, and I pray to god it won't, you need to know, I love you and I would never, ever do that to you, nor would I ever hurt you in that capacity."

"I know, Eric." I assured him, just wanting his lips on mine again.

"Riley, promise me, you'll never doubt how much I love you and that you'll always come to me for confirmation if something like this happens again. Promise me you know that I'm going to make you my wife someday." He whispered softly, his lips brushing against mine as my eyes fluttered closed.

"I promise."

***

"Riley!" Kara exclaimed, shaking my shoulder as my eyes snapped open and I sat up, my eyes wide from the memory. This wasn't the first or probably the last of the memories that had turned into nightmares. I've had one every night I'd fallen asleep since Eric and I broke up, if that's what we did, I wasn't really sure.

"Are you alright?" She asked me again, her eyebrows pulled down in worry. The phone was pressed to her ear and Blake called to her from the other end.

"Yeah, sorry." I shook my head, blinking my eyes.

"You were crying in your sleep.." She trailed off, not quite believing I was okay.

"It was just a bad dream. Hey Blake," I called to him, smiling as I heard him scream, "Helloooo Riley!" Kara and I giggled as she put him on speaker phone, listening to the locker room of the team as they prepared for practice. The boys had left for Arizona earlier in the day, flying down and beginning a week of practice to get used to the hot air down south. Of course Eric had texted me before he left, just a quick I love you and that he hoped I was still coming to Arizona. But it was pointless because we both knew I wouldn't be there.

"Kara, you better be packing that bikini I love of yours so much." Blake told her, having no idea I was still listening. Kara rolled her eyes at me before scoffing.

"Blake, first of all, you bought that for me, second of all, you can't even call it a bikini and third of all, if I was wearing that, it most definitely wouldn't be for you," she teased him. Blake groaned loudly and started to whimper like a dog. "Stop." she commanded to which he obliged immediately.

"Blake you are such a pussy," I heard Adam call in the background, making my blood boil. Soft talking could be heard next as Eric's laugh met my ears, making my eyes burn with tears. I hadn't seen or talked to him in a week today and it was without a doubt, ripping me apart. Eric and I didn't usually spend much time apart unless we had to but we never chose it and now I was choosing to keep him at a distance, which he was respecting.

"Blake, give me the phone." Eric called to him and I frantically shook my head at Kara to which she told me to shut up.

'It's not Riley," Blake told him as his voice faded away, the phone most likely in Eric's hands now.

"I don't care. Kara, is she okay?" Eric asked, his voice deep and rough with emotion. I sucked in a breath, my eyes pleading with her to not give me away, to not make me talk to him as she extended the phone to me. She gave me a sour look before answering him.

"She's still breathing but she's crying all the time and I'm worried about her." Kara stated, never taking her eyes from mine. I gave her a pain-filled look as Eric heaved a deep sigh.

"Kara, I didn't even do anything. Nothing happened in Florida, please, just believe me. I don't know how to make her understand and I've never felt so lost before." He spoke softly, the noise from the locker room gone.

"Hang in there, boo. It'll be okay soon. She's going to realize it soon." Kara assured him as I hung my head in my hands, massaging my tense forehead.

"I can't lose her." Eric mumbled, his voice strained. I looked up at Kara who stared back at me, both of us knowing that Eric was crying. "She's everything to me." Tears streamed down my face too, my bottom lip quaking at his voice and the utter pain that he was feeling.

"You won't lose her, Eric," Kara whispered, sinking into the couch next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as my body shook with silent sobs. "We all know you belong together. Throw yourself into football for this week, it will help, and I'll try to get our girl to see the light." She squeezed my shoulder tightly as my tears soaked her shirt.

"Tell her I love her?" He asked, pushing out a deep, strangled breath.

"Tell her yourself, she's right here," Kara murmured, giving me the phone and walking away, into the bedroom. I glared after her, sniffling a bit and wiping my nose with the sleeve of one of Eric's sweatshirts. Their warmth was the only thing that kept me sane.

"Riley?" Eric called to me. I debated not answering but I knew he deserved to hear my voice. It would help him get through the week and the bowl game.

"What?" I choked out, a lump still clogging my throat.

"Baby, I need you," he murmured to me. I closed my eyes, the black helping to stop the room from spinning.

"Eric, I'm in a lot of pain and I'm hurting more than I ever have," I pushed out, wanting him to know how hard this was on me.

"Baby, you don't need to hurt. Nothing happened. Please, Riley. believe me." He begged, his voice pleading and I knew if he was here he would be on his knees, his heart in his hands as he pouted. And if he was here, things might have been different, but with the almost 2,000 miles between us, his begging did nothing.

"I can't do this Eric. I can't. I just, I can't. I don't even understand how you could put yourself in this situation. Don't you remember high school? Don't you remember how upset I was about that? And then Adam tells me about her fucking kissing your neck. That's bullshit, you should have left the second you saw her. Telling her to fuck off is not enough, remove yourself from her area." I snapped, my anger building as I talked.

"Riley-"

"We're done talking about this. I can't deal with you or the issue right now and you need to go play football. Now is not the time." I told him, getting ready to hang up but his voice stopped me.

"Don't do this to me, Riley. Don't do this to us, if you hang up, you're telling me that it's done. We're over for good. Please, don't do this. Don't end it like this." He told me, his voice strangled as he tried to keep himself composed.

For a moment, I was overwhelmed with guilt and hate. I hated myself for making him feel this way but I hated him for not telling me to begin with. If he would have told me when he came back from Florida, none of this would have happened. Well, at least it was easier to think that way. My finger hovered over the red button momentarily before I pressed it, ending not only the call, but also our relationship.
♠ ♠ ♠
:[
I'm kind of done with them fighting.
it's depressing me.
but, it's hard because Riley is really hurt... :(
let me know what you think!
comments would really help me out because I am SOOOOOOOOO uninspired. you have no idea.