Status: completed.

Baby, It's You & No One Else

no one compares to you

A week passed, and then another, and another before I had come to the conclusion that Eric was as much of an asshole as I had been a bitch in the past couple weeks. Our separation period had now climbed up to exactly a month and five days today and I was beside myself with guilt and also petty anger. I was mad at him for turning the whole situation on me but also for not talking to me in three, very long, weeks. It was now Valentine's day, four o'clock to be exact and I was starting to come to the conclusion that Eric and I wouldn't be doing anything.

Through these past three weeks, I had looked forward to February 14th, thinking that since he loved to lavish me with love, it would be a day for him to forgive me so we could close this chapter in our lives. Apparently I was wrong.

I sighed loudly and shifted around on the couch in my parent's living room, a spot I had been for the past 6 hours, not wanting to go back to my lonely campus apartment since Katie was out with Adam who was trying damn hard to woo her again. I personally wasn't impressed by any of his little love notes or simple gifts but then again he had never been my boyfriend and I still held a grudge with him. David glanced over at me, taking his eyes off of the movie and putting his attention on me. Jake stopped playing with Holly's hair across the room where they were stuffed onto the love seat. His eyes held an amused look before he turned back to his wife.

"What's cooking good looking?" David asked, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and tugging me into his side. I buried my face into his side where I would be safe from the prying eyes of Austin who sat with his girlfriend of a month, Callie. She was so beautiful and reminded me a lot of Morgan but there were enough differences that had convinced me that Austin was ready to move on, slowly but surely.

"It's one of the most romantic days of the year and I'm watching a corny movie with my brothers and their significant others," I told him, rolling my eyes.

"What, we aren't good enough for you?" He teased, tucking some of my hair behind my ear. I looked up at him, heaving another sigh before snuggling back into him.

"No I just wish HE was here," I murmured, refusing to even think about him for more than a second, knowing it would bring me down a road that would just drain me emotionally and physically.

"He needs time just like you did." He soothed me, rubbing his hand over my back like Eric did when he was trying to calm me down.

"It's been three weeks. I didn't take three fucking weeks." I grumbled. My phone vibrated in my pocket and my heart immediately began to beat faster, anticipation building as I pulled it out of my pocket, my whole body deflating when I saw it was only Katie.

When are you coming home?

I tried not to cringe as I read it, not wanting to think of why she wanted to know. I did not need to hear about what her and Adam were planning on doing tonight. I quickly texted her, telling her I most likely would be staying at my parent's house because even though I was sad, I still was enjoying my time with my brothers and away from the place where everything reminded me of Eric. I tried to settle back in, my eyes focusing in on Rachel McAdams as she sobbed at the end of the summer, her break up with Noah ripping her apart. My phone shook against my hand again and I quickly read it over.

Damn. Can you go home and get my purse and bring it to Adams? I left it on the counter and I can't exactly come get it, if you catch my drift ;D

I stuck my tongue our and crinkled my nose in disgust, really grossed out by what she was implying. I rolled my eyes and pushed away from David, kissing his cheek before walking over to Austin and pulling him into a hug.

"Leaving so soon?" He asked me to which I nodded.

"I'm being a nice friend and getting Katie's purse for her since the quarterback is currently taking over her body," I fake gaged at that and Austin laughed.

"Well at least someone is getting some," I heard David grumble from the couch. I laughed at him, ruffling his hair as I crossed the room to Jake who had laid Holly against the love seat and stood up, ready to walk me to my car. We were silent as I pulled my jacket on and then made our way into the cool air, the weather surprisingly calm for the middle of February.

"Are you mad at me?" He whispered against my hair as he pulled me into his body tightly. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, feeling myself relax for the first time in weeks. "We haven't had a conversation since the day of the bowl game," he murmured, his cheek resting against the top of my head.

"No, it's just hard because now I see you as someone connected with Eric and it hurts and I'm really frustrated with him along with this shitty situation." I mumbled. Jake's arms tightened around me and he rocked me slightly from side to side as he murmured encouragement in my ear.

"Just let him be. He's going to come around and just like you needed time so does he."

"Three weeks?" I asked Jake, pulling away and giving him a look. He just shrugged so I continued, "I'm scared. I'm absolutely terrified that he doesn't want to be with me anymore. What if he figured out he deserves so much better than me?" A tear slipped from my eye as I confessed my biggest fear to the only person who could understand.

"Ry, that's not true. He loves you. You should know that by now, he's only told you a million time that you're his only one. Does anything get through that think skull of yours?" He teased me, his thumb brushing under my eye and wiping away the tear.

"But it's different. I mean, that's the only thing I can think of that has been keeping him away for so long. You know how Eric and I are, we never spend time apart and here we are, living without each other like it's second nature. But it's not!" I exclaimed, hitting his chest in frustration. I pushed out a hard breath and rubbed the spot where I had punched him. "Sorry." Jake let out a heart laugh.

"Honey, that didn't hurt."

"I know but I'm taking all this out on you and dumping it into your lap while pulling you into the middle. I don't want to do that, this is mine and Eric's problem."

"Which was originally Adam and Katie's problem."

"I know and I fucked up by making it our's too. Stop being the older brother who tells me when I mess up. I don't like it." I pouted, half serious.

"It's my job." He stated, squeezing me tightly.

"Well take a day off. I need you to make it better, not worse." I whimpered, suddenly feeling very depressed and upset.

"You know I would if I could," he gave me a sympathetic look and I closed my eyes, shaking my head.

"I hate him right now," I whispered into the wind that had started to pick up.

"Hey, don't say that," he spoke softly, brushing my hair behind my shoulders. I sniffled slightly, looking down at the ground as I avoided Jake's look. "Why don't you go home and get a good nights sleep. You look like you could use it." He suggested to which I snorted.

"I can't sleep without him. Plus, if I fall asleep, I dream about him and I wake up just as broken as I was when I went to bed the night before."

"It's a new day and a new night. Take a sleeping pill." He joked, trying to get me to laugh. I just shook my head, not having any of it.

"Tell mom and dad I said goodbye," I told him, opening my car door and climbing in. I went to shut the door but Jake stopped me,

"Riley, wait. I want to talk to you about something," he mumbled, biting his lip nervously. My eyebrows lowered, confused at his sudden change of attitude. He closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath and preparing himself.

"Spit it out."

"Holly is pregnant." He blurted out. My mouth dropped open in shock at first before I started to squeal, my mood immediately perking as I flew from my car and into Jake's arms.

"Ohmygod!" I screamed in one quick break, my mind running a million miles an hour. I was going to be an aunt again. Jake was going to be a dad. My parents were going to two grand babies. But even though it all should have been hard to digest, it wasn't at all. I was so excited for him and for Holly, knowing that they would make a damn good looking kid. "Why aren't you jumping for joy?" I asked him, pulling away from his shoulder to look at his face, filled with a blank expression.

"I'm fucking scared." He told me honestly, his face becoming worried. "How am I going to be a dad? I still feel like a kid myself, like I have so much left to learn and now I have to grow up in 6 months? How is that going to happen?"

"Jake, what are you talking about? You're as mature as you need to be to handle a baby. And there are classes and books to help you with it plus you have Holly. She will MAKE you ready for the whole process. You're going to be a wonderful father, I just pray that it isn't a girl. She'll never get to date." I grinned down at him, watching as he relaxed slightly. "Talk to Austin, no one knows better than him."

"Yeah, I know but I don't want to bother him while he's with Callie and I don't want mom and dad to over hear," he mumbled, running a hand through his hair as he set me back on the ground.

"Why not?"

"I don't know I just kind of want to keep it on the down low since it's easy to miscarriage and stuff in the first trimester. We're almost there and thank god the baby is healthy, strong heartbeat and everything."

"Jake, that is amazing. I am so happy for you, big brotha!" I exclaimed, pulling him down for one more tight hug. "Have you told Eric yet?" I blurted out, not even thinking about what I was saying.

"Yeah, we had lunch together yesterday," Jake responded, new information to me.

"You saw him yesterday and you weren't going to tell me? How did he look? Is he eating? Is he okay?" I let the questions spew out of my mouth frantically.

"I didn't want to tell you while you were already so upset. He looked fine, we were joking and laughing. And he is most definitely eating, that punk can out eat me any day." Jake shook his head, laughing slightly. "We talked about you for a bit and he seemed okay, like things were going to get back to normal soon." Jake shrugged delicately. "I honestly think he's going to come around so stop worrying about it, alright? Give your brother a peace of mind." He smiled slightly.

"Fine, but only if you give Holly a tight squeeze for me and tell her I said congrats." I told him to which he promise he would. "Bye Jake, thanks for being there for me through everything. You're the best brother I could ask for, and don't tell the others, but you're my favorite." I kissed his cheek as we both giggled, knowing Jake had always been my protector and my favorite.

"Have a safe trip home, call me later." He winked before turning and running back into the house.

I sighed and started my car up, blasting the heat for the ride back to the cities. I spent most of it on cruise control, body functioning without any commands from my brain. I knew the route like the back of my hand, a familiar and comforting course. The radio provided background music to my thoughts, completely consumed by Eric and what he was doing at that exact moment. I wished he would be at my house when I got there, but the probability of that happening was slim to none, and I would not let myself get my hopes up only to be disappointed. I had my cellphone in the cup holder, praying for it to vibrate and be Eric, just once. Just a little text telling me he loved me so I wouldn't feel ridiculous for listening to his old voice mails.

I sighed as I pulled into my driveway, shutting the car off and staring at the driveway, empty besides my car. I pursed my lips, closing my eyes and resting my head against the steering wheel. I resisted the urge to smack my head against it, pounding the horrible thoughts from my mind and getting a head injury. The tears burned my eyes again and I wished and prayed that they would stop forming all together. I was surprised there was even any left. I sighed against, pushing the car door open and stomping up the the porch steps, making the snow fall from my worn converse.

My eyes fluttered to the door mat where I almost stomped on a red rose, a simple gesture of I love you presenting it's self to me. My keys fell onto the porch as I stared down at it, no note, just the beautiful flower. I squatted down, noticing there were no other footsteps on the porch, no imprints in the snow but mine. I held the rose up to my face and turned the handle of the front door, surprised to find it unlocked. I peaked my head in cautiously, wondering what was going on. I stepped into the entry way, looking to the left, into the living room. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary so I took my shoes and coat off, draping the fabric over the railing of the stairs. And that's when I saw them.

The thousands of rose petals leading up the carpeted stairs. My mouth fell open in shock at the beauty of it. Flowers lined the stairs completely, held in various glass vases and various types of the sweet smelling plant. Roses, daisies, tulips, and various other brightly colored flowers, stood out against the yellow painted walls.

"Katie?" I called hesitantly. I got no answer so I slowly made my way to the stairs, seeing small white cards littering them. I picked the first one up, confused. None of this could be for me, this had to be something that Adam had set up for Katie. Another plan to woo her into coming back to him. But I knew I was wrong when I saw my name spelled out in loopy handwriting on the front of the card in my hands. This confused me even more as I flipped the card up, beginning to read the message.

Cause if I got you, I don't need money
I don't need cars, girl, you're my all
and I'm into you
and girl, no one else would do
cause with every kiss and every hug
you make me fall in love


No one else compares to you. Nobody has or will ever make me feel the way you do. You're the one. My one and only.

The last part told me who this was, not that the song didn't give it away immediately. It was my ring tone for Eric for a long time. He used to call my phone just so he could sing along to it when he was with me. I smiled briefly at the memory, but they looked up the stairs at four other cards, identical to the one I was holding. My heart lurched for joy as I realized what this all meant. He was ready, I was ready, we were making the step. I reached for the next one, flipping it open instantly.

I remember every look upon your face,
The way you roll your eyes, the way you taste
You make it hard for breathing
'Cause when I close my eyes and drift away
I think of you and everythings okay
And finally now, believing
And maybe it's true, that I can't live without you


Knowing I get to see you eventually is the only thing that gets me through the day. Road trips are unbearable until I get that call from you, telling me you're tucked into your bed. I can't fall asleep without knowing you're okay.

Tears formed slowly as my green eyes fluttered over the words a couple more times. I held back the urge to ball completely and continued through my journey, grabbing the next two and flipping them open one after the other.

All that I'm after is a life full of laughter
as long as I'm laughing with you
I'm thinking that all that still matters is love ever after
after the life ever been through
cause I know there's not life after you


You always joke about how football is my life. You're wrong. You're my life.

One tear escaped, sinking into the thick paper and smearing the ink a bit. I looked up at the ceiling, trying to hold back the instant relief I felt at all of this. His sweet words and his heart spelled out right in front of me, reassuring me that I was HIS and he was mine.

You tie the knot
When I'm at the end of my rope
You never stop believing' in me
When I don't know who I am
Or what I'm supposed to be
I don't give you no good reason
But baby, don't give up on me


I know I'm not always the easiest person to deal with especially when I get mad and shut you out. But it's never because I don't love you. Because that's the only thing I'm sure about in this life. I Love You.

By this time, it was useless to try and hold the tears back. I sat on the stairs, my head in my hands, not able to make a grab for the last card. He was being so sweet and the truth was, I didn't deserve it. I blew the argument completely out of proportion and compared him to Adam. I knew that Eric would never cheat on me, nor would he EVER be as brutal about it as Adam was to Katie. I deserved the cold shoulder that he had been giving me for three weeks and I sure as hell did NOT deserve any of his empathy or love.

I took in a deep, shaky breath, and wiped my nose with the back of my hand. I dabbed my eyes carefully with the sleeve of my sweater, careful to not smudge my mascara. I pushed out a breath and felt my shoulders sag, trying hard to pull myself together and keep my appearance. I looked up the stairs, my eyes falling on the card before looking at the hallway that lead down to my room. I debated skipping the last card, not sure if I could handle the guilt that was clawing at my stomach like a monster. But I decided I wanted to read it and crawled up the last couple stairs, sitting on the floor of the second level.

When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love
I know you haven't made your mind up yet
But I would never do you wrong
I've known it from the moment that we met
There’s no doubt in my mind where you belong


I know you might still be mad at me. But I hope you know now, I would never do that to you. I'm not that guy. You are the best thing that ever happened to me and I thank God every day that you chose to be with me. I need you. I love you. I respect your wishes. But I know you love and need me, so stop fighting me. Baby, let me back in. If you are sick of me and don't want to be with me after my three weeks of no contact, I understand. but if that is the case, don't be surprised if I break your door down and kidnap you. Because you're mine and only mine. No one other than me will get you, I'll make damn sure of it. Because Baby, it's you and no one else.

My reaction was a mixture of tears and laughter. Eric was always blunt when it came to what he wanted and my heart fluttered, knowing he still wanted me even after I ruined the perfect, blissful relationship we had.

I forced myself off the floor and briskly walked the two doors down to my room. I turned the handle and opened the last obstacle that kept me from Eric, expecting to see him sitting on the bed waiting for me. He wasn't. Instead, he was curled up under my covers in my bed, the pink comforter not taking away any of his masculinity. I suppressed a giggle as I pulled my sweater off and moved carefully through my room.

I kept my eyes on him as I changed, admiring the way he slept with the weight of the world not resting on his shoulders. He didn't have the need to be the star of the football team anymore. He was just Eric at the moment, and that's when I loved him the most. Because it didn't matter if he was the star player or the kid who sat on the bench, waiting for his turn. I loved him for so many more reasons, starting with the fact that no one could ever treat me the way Eric does. He cares for me as much as my three brothers. I was pissed at myself for not getting that concept when I was accusing him of so many wrongful things, but instead now, after so much hurt and damage had been caused.

I pushed my work pants off, and pulled on a pair of sweatpants, throwing Eric's sweatshirt over my tank top. I moved through the room like a cat, my steps soft and carefully peeling the covers back from his body. He shifted slightly when I slid in next to him and wrapped my arms around him, snuggling in close. I felt his body relax against me and I knew his face held a smile above me. In that moment, I had never felt so much happiness in my life. The wonderful feeling of his body pressed against mine made me realize that I was most definitely at home in the arms of the only man I had ever loved.

We sat in silence, not needing to say anything at the moment, just being in each others arms enough for the time being. Our legs tangled together and one of Eric's hands kept running through my hair, making my eyes droopy. I felt the sleep pulling at me after not being able to sleep for so long. But I refused to fall asleep before Eric and I talked.

"I'm so sorry," I murmured to him, my hands balled into fists, pulling his t-shirt away from his body.

"I know," he responded, because what else could he say? No baby, it's my fault? No, because that's a lie. It's not his fault and truth be told, none of this should have happened.

"I don't even know why I flew off the handle like that. I just started freaking out, thinking that since you took Adam's side you had cheated on me too. But I never stopped to think that someone had to be on his side and your friendship with him goes beyond the field and beyond girlfriends. I get it because I'm like that with my friends." His arms tightened around me and he buried his face into the crook of my neck. "I'm sorry I didn't go to Arizona." I whispered, knowing that bothered him more than anything. He just nodded into my neck, kissing my pulse.

"You wouldn't have seen much," He whispered, his hot breath dancing against my skin, making goosebumps form. I squeezed him tightly for a couple seconds, enjoying the weight of him against me.

"I should have been there when you lost, that's what really matters. I've always been there for those moments." My fingers tangled in his hair that had been growing like weeds in the three weeks we hadn't been talking. He also had long stubble that scratched against my shoulder where he had pulled his sweatshirt to the side.

"Don't worry about it," He told me when he finally pulled away from trailing kisses along my collar bone. "I don't care that you weren't there. All I care about is that you're here with me right now. I meant what all of those cards said. I need you in my life, I love you, and I can't lose you. You're my everything." He told me, the sincerity in his voice also reflected in his eyes. "Do you understand that?" He asked, his hand moving from my cheek to the side of my neck and then to the back of my head. I nodded, unable to speak, and he pulled me towards him, our lips touching finally.

Tears leaked out of my eyes as his lips caressed mine, his hands pressing me into his body tightly, as we both sighed contently, knowing there was nothing better than kissing after being mad. He tugged on my bottom lip and I let him suck it into his mouth, the feeling making my skin burst into flames.

"Eric," I breathed against his lips, my eyes fluttering at him. "Show me how much you meant those cards." I begged him as his lips fluttered along my jaw, my senses heightened and very aware of everything he was doing.

"I intend on doing that until you can't walk. Just sit back and let me lavish you." He murmured before pinning me against the bed and making love to me the rest of the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for no hot make up sex.
I'm too tired
comments please and thank youuu
aren't you SOOOOOOOO happy they are togethaaaa!?
<333