Healer of a Broken Heart

Awake

My head is pounding and my chest feels like Paul Bunyan stepped on it. I slowly open my eyes and let them adjust to the freakishly bright light shining straight on me. I turn my head and see Tre, with his head in his arms on the bed, asleep. I rub the back of his head and stroke his hair. He looks like he hasn't had much sleep yet he still looks like an angel.

I watched the nurses run back and forth between rooms and answer phones like they worked at the Grand Central Station for about an hour. By now I've probably rubbed a bald spot on the back of his head. I giggled at the thought. I wanted to hold him so bad, but I couldn't move, plus he was laying his head on the side of the bed so it wouldn't matter anyway.

"Ms. Reece?" called a female voice.

I looked up and a nurse in Kelly Green scrubs holding a clipboard was at the door. I perked my eyebrows signaling that I was listening.

"I was just coming in to check on you." She looked over at Tre then back at me and smiled. "Do you need any pain medication right now, or can you wait?"

I looked down and back up at her without moving my head and lightly nodded.

"Okay, I'll bring some in right away." She left.

About that time Tre began to stir. I looked back down at him and ran my hand down his neck to his shoulder and rested my hand there. His eyes blinked a few times before snapping shut and him stretching his arms out in front of him and pushing his fists into my side before realizing where he was. He froze and opened his eyes and met mine then immediately pulled his fists back.

"Hey, beautiful," he said after he finished stretching his back.

He grabbed my hand and kissed it, then placed it on the bed with his hand on top. I smiled and motioned him over to me with my finger. He stood and slowly leaned in, being sure to not trip on any important cords, and lightly kissed me. He sat down and then the nurse came back in with my pills. I took them and she left.

I'm really wishing I could talk right now, but it just hurts too much. Why couldn't I be like most pneumonia patients and recover at home? It's not fair.

I turned my head on the pillow and Tre looked to be in a trance. He was staring at my hand, in which he was holding. I placed my other hand on top of his and he looked up at me with sad eyes. I scooted back over so he could lay down again and he crawled up and cuddled in next to me.

"You look tired," I squeaked.

He smiled and nodded then buried his face in the base of my neck. His arms slithered around my body and he pulled me close.

"I love you so much," he whispered.

I ran my hand through his hair and down the side of his face letting my fingers ran over the stubble. He hadn't shaved for days. I couldn't believe he's been here with me this whole time. I kissed the top of his head and rested my head on his.

Neither of us moved for a few minutes and I started to doze off when I heard him snore lightly. I smiled and continued dozing off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Crappy title, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else.