Healer of a Broken Heart

Rudy's

I lower the menu to see a pair of steel blue eyes staring back at me. Tre's eyes, to be exact. I close the menu and lay it on the table.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"I came here to chat with Mike for a while. He owns this place, you know," he said.

"Oh, right," I replied.

"So, are you going to the concert tomorrow?" he asked.

"Yes sir," I stated. "My friend bought us tickets for my birthday." I grinned.

"Your birthday?!" he exclaimed. "How come no one tells me anything anymore?"

I looked at him as a grin started creeping up my face. "Well, you had to leave when we were birthday shopping...so..." I paused. "Yeah." I rubbed the back of my neck and looked down at the menu on the table.

"Oh, right," he said and looked out the window. "Well, how about we get something to eat while we're sitting here."

"Uh, sure," I said and opened the menu back up.

He got up from the seat across from me and sat down next to me. I blushed a little and moved my face closer to the table in hopes he didn't see it. He kept pointing out his favorite foods and recommending things to me. The waitress came back and asked, "Are we ready to order?"

I couldn't hardly decide with all the recommendations Tre gave, but eventually I settled for the Weekday Special for Thursday, Combat Mac & Cheese, and he got the Rudy's Breakfast. He moved back over across from me and the waitress took the menu back. We sat and talked the entire time about everything. The weather, the concert, my birthday, until John came up. Tre didn't really know him that well because he was his replacement, but he still didn't like him from what he was told from Billie and Mike. I told him about what he did to Jenna and how I was outraged and drove all the way here by accident and now we're here. The waitress returned and took our empty plates.

"Well, it wasn't too bad seeing that we get to spend some time together and talk," he smirked causing me to blush a little. "Do I spy blushing?"

Crap! "Uh, no. It's a little warm in here is all," I lied.

He nodded knowingly with a grin and narrow eyes. "You have beautiful eyes."

Ugh, he's doing this on purpose! Aaahh!! "Uh, t-thank-thank you." I stuttered. Why am I stuttering?! It's not helping at all!

He placed his elbows on the table and locked his fingers together resting his chin on the back of his hands. He smiled with a humble, childish look, tilted his head and said, "You're pretty" and batted his eyes.

I stared and my face turned crimson. I slammed my head on the table and whimpered hiding behind my arms. He laughed.

"Don't beat yourself up over it," and he gave a hearty laugh. He rubbed the back of my head.

I moved my head enough for my eyes to come up over my forearms and looked at him. He was so cute. Why did I have to be so shy? I could swear there was little bubbles and stars twinkling around him when I looked up. I sat up and frantically looked for a clock. "Oh my gosh, what time is it?!"

Tre looked at his watch, "Almost 9:30, why?"

"I have to get back home!" I searched my pockets for my money to pay so I could get home. I pulled out a five and started to place it on the table until a hand pushed my hand down. I stared at it. He's touching me. I began to blush and looked up to see him pulling his wallet out of his back pocket.

"Don't worry, I'll get it." he said.

"No, no, I'll pay for mine." I replied.

"Nonsense, go home, I'll get it." he smiled.

I really needed to get home so he won this one. I stood up and took the last drink from my cup. "Thanks Tre, I owe you one."

"Nah, but a kiss will do," he said and smiled really big.

I blushed and ran out the door with, "Rain Check!"

The entire drive home I couldn't quit thinking about that moment. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but I didn't care, I'm still blushing with butterflies fluttering about my stomach.