Healer of a Broken Heart

Sour Memories

I finally made it back to the apartment, it's now 10:00. I unlock the door and walk into the living room. It's empty. Jenna must be in bed already. I walk to her room to see if she's asleep and I wish I didn't. I flip the light and see Jenna bloody laying in the corner of her room, her wrists slit. I scream to the top of my lungs and throw myself down on the floor in heavy heaves and sobs. I feel my chest tightening up and I cant hardly breathe. My body starts shaking uncontrollably and I start to become dizzy. I look up in the dark room at Jenna lying in the empty, bloody corner.
"If I was here I could have stopped this!" I screamed. "Why?!"

I call the police and report the suicide. Shortly after, they appear at the house with paramedics and take her out on a stretcher. I tell them my story and they leave me in heavy sobs. I don't believe I've ever cried this hard before. I attempt to go back inside but can't. Everything I look at reminds me of something she or we have done together. I slam the door behind me and sit on the large step up and cry until I'm all cried out.

The next morning I drive to work and am completely zoned out and depressed all day. Helen comes in and says, "I'm so sorry, Jayden. I heard what happened." She walks over to me and embraces me. I bury my face in her shoulder and begin to tear up. "You need time to get your head together. Why don't you take the rest of the week off," she says stroking my hair.

I pull back and nod and walk out the door with my head low. Right before I reach the carI feel a hand on my shoulder and a voice that asks, "Are you alright?"

I swing around and squeeze him. "I'm going to kill the bastard, Tre, I'm going to kill him." I sob. "She killed herself because of him!"

He squeezes me and strokes my hair. "There, there," he says. "Why don't we go back to my place and we'll talk it out. Okay?"

I nod and I start to get in the car when he says, wagging his finger, "Ah ah, I'll drive."

He takes the key and goes over to the passenger side, opens the door for me to get in, shuts the door then runs over to the driver's side. He climbs in, buckles up, and starts the car. I stare down into my lap with tears falling down soaking into my pants when I feel his hand on my chin. He wipes the tears off my cheek and looks at me with sincere eyes. "Buckle up please?" I smiled, or smirked rather, for the first time that day and buckled myself in. The entire way there I'm staring out the windshield with horror splattered all across my face. I feel his hand snake onto my knee and he rubs his thumb side to side on the side of my knee. I look over at him.

"Are you going to be okay?" he asks.

I shake my head with no reply. He glances down and back onto the road. Shortly after we pull into his drive way. I unbuckle myself and begin to reach for the handle when he stops me. He motions for me to stay and runs to open the door for me. He helps me out of the car and we walk up to his door. He stops and hugs me before we go inside and strokes my hair. Right then, I melted. My knees almost buckled. He opened the door and lead me inside to the living room. He sat me down on the sofa and asked, "Do you want a water?" I nodded.

He disappeared and came back with a bottle of water and sat down next to me. "Here," he said and handed me the water.

"Thanks," I said.

I opened the bottle and took a big swig, placed the cap back on, and set it down on the end table. I buried my face in my hands and began to weep again. He wrapped his arms around me and placed his head on my back.

"There, there," he said. "Let it all out."

I turned and buried my face in his chest and cried again until I couldn't cry anymore. He sat with me the entire time and didn't move. He stroked my hair and rubbed the back of my neck and let me cry. I've never felt this comfortable before, especially around someone I hardly know. It took me a while to get comfortable around Jenna to where I would run around the apartment in boxer shorts and a large T-Shirt. I wore shorts and normal shirts to bed for a while so I didn't have to change when I got up. He pulled away and looked into my eyes.

"Are you going to be okay now?" he asked.

I nodded looking down at the floor. He ran his hand up my neck and held my face. We sat there staring at each other until he pulled me close and gave me a hug.

"I'm so sorry, Jayden. I wish this didn't happen," he said. "Please don't do anything you would regret."

I clenched his shirt in each hand and squeezed him.

"Do you want to go back to the house?" he asked.

I shook my head in silence.

"Okay," he said stroking my hair. "You can stay here if you want for as long as you need to."

"Thanks," I managed to mutter.

We sat on the sofa for a while and didn't move from that position. This is exactly what I needed. I couldn't believe it was happening, but it was. I don't think anything else could have kept me from punching a wall or pulling a Holden Caulfield and punching out all the windows in the apartment. I started feeling really sleepy and my head started bobbing up and down trying to keep myself awake. I leaned over and Tre held me up. He snaked his arm under my knees and hoisted me up and took me upstairs into a bedroom. He laid me on the bed and pulled the covers over, kissed my forehead, and told me good night. He walked out of the room and shut the door. Seconds later I was asleep.

I wake up the next morning and I look around the room and at the bed I'm laying in. I try to recap the day before and remember where I am. I sit up and rub my eyes then crawl out of bed. I open the door and walk down the steps into the living room and see Tre sitting on the couch eating a bowl of cereal.

"Morning," he greeted. He put his bowl on the end table and walked over to me and hugged me. "Feeling better?"

"Yeah, thanks," I replied. He walked me over to the couch and we sat down and watched TV for a while. He finished his bowl of cereal and took his bowl into the kitchen. He reappeared with a small present wrapped in red paper with a purple bow on the top.

"Here, I got you this yesterday," he said extending his arm to me handing me the box. "If's for your birthday."

I reached out and took the box and looked at it. I slowly tore open the paper and opened the box. It's a demo cd for their next album. I looked at him and he said, "I went to the studio and got them to make a copy of the single, Warning. I thought you would like it."

I stared at the cd and looked back at him and smiled. "Thanks." He nodded and smiled.

"Well, I have to go to the studio today and finish recording, I was wondering what you were going to do," he said. I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind you there if you wanted to go, but I can take you back-"

"No! Anywhere but there!" I exclaimed. He looked at me with a look that I knew he was mentally kicking himself for saying that. He leaned forward, pulled me close, hugged me tight. I didn't want to go back there, I didn't know how long it would take me, but I knew I didn't want to leave him. Not just yet.

"I can go get your clothes for you if you want me to," he said.

I nodded and gave him my car keys, which had the apartment key. I told him which room was mine and told him where my bag was. I waited around the house watching TV and looking out the window at birds for a little over 45 minutes and he came back in the door with my backpack full and some extra clothes on hangers.

"I couldn't fit them all in the bag so I just took the extras off the hangers and brought them."

"Thanks," I said.

He took my clothes up to the room he put me in last night and returned after about five minutes.

"I put your bottoms in the dresser and hung up your shirts in the closet," he said. It was weird knowing that he handled my underwear, especially because I had a thong in there if he got it from the apartment.

"Okay," I said standing up off the couch. "I guess I'll go freshen up then so we can get to the studio."

I walked upstairs and grabbed an outfit of clothes and looked around for the bathroom. After a minute or so I stumbled upon one around the corner from the room I was in, I'm guessing it's my room now. I walked in, closed the door, and looked at the shower. It was one of the stand up showers with the glass walls. I placed my clothes on the sink and opened the door and turned on the shower. I found a towel underneath the sink and placed it on the towel rack on the outside of the shower. I undressed, stepped in, and shut the door. Man, this shower is exactly what I need.