Bet Your Life I'd Do It Again

Chapter 3

Ensuring her silver spiral bangle was secure on her wrist, Andie gave her outfit one last critical glance and decided she would have to do. Sitting on the edge of her bed, Andie's boot-clad feet tapped a nervous stacatto on the carpet floor. She couldn't quite explain the sudden attack of butterflies she was experiencing, but there was something about the idea of heading out for dinner with one of the hottest bands around that was making her usually calm exterior dissolve slightly. Which given the fact that she had managed to spend an entire afternoon in their company made no sense. She hadn't been bothered with who they were then, so why it unnerved her now was something Andie couldn't quite fathom out.

With a heavy sigh, Andie decided that she needed to get out of the room. Smoothing down a lock of red hair that insisted on curling slightly, she grabbed her purse and made for the door.

"Wow!"

Andie turned in the direction the voice had come from to find Zacky standing in the hallway. Trying to hide the redness she felt rising in her face, Andie gave a small smile.

"You want to head down to the lobby?" he offered, the smile he wore reaching his green eyes.

"Oh, I was going to see if Amber and Rhian were ready yet first."

"Matt's just gone to see if Amber's done, and I do believe Brian was the first one ready and knocking on Rhian's door a while back" Zacky explained with a smirk.

Andie laughed.

"He's strangely keen for a guy that last night couldn't wait to see the back of the three of us" she stated.

"There's just no telling what goes on in the mind of Gates at times" Zacky admitted. "So, mind if I escort you downstairs?" he asked, a hint of hope to his tone.

"Sure" Andie replied, trying to come across as though it wasn't a big deal.

As they stood waiting for the elevator doors to open, Andie tried not to smile too much as Zacky's hand found hers.

"Hey! No going any further than that on the first date!" Jimmy yelled down the corridor, he and Johnny walking towards them just as the elevator doors opened.

Zacky quickly pulled Andie inside, chuckling as he hit the button and the doors closed.

"Asshole!" Jimmy cried.

Zacky looked over at Andie and winked. Tonight was going to be one hell of a way to end the vacation, of that she was sure.

****************************************

Rhian wasn't quite sure what to make of the sudden change in Brian. Not that she was actually complaining. He had been the perfect gentleman all evening, ensuring that she was having a good time, paying her more attention than she could ever remember any guy giving her. It was just such a contrast to the man she had encountered the night before that Rhian found herself a little taken aback by it all.

All eight of them sat round their table at the restaurant enjoying their after dinner coffee. Brian's arm casually around Rhian, his long calloused fingers drawing circles on her bare shoulder.

"So, what's the plan for the rest of the evening?" Jimmy asked, sitting back in his chair. "Club? Bar?"

"I'm not up for a club Rev, just a nice quiet bar would suit me fine" Brian told him "that sound ok with you?" he murmured, his lips brushing against Rhian's ear.

"Mmmhmm" she answered with a nod, the sensation of him so close to her rendering her incapable of being able to string coherent words together.

"Alright then, let's settle the bill and get out of here" Matt stated, digging in his pocket for his wallet.

Amber laid a hand on Matt's arm to stop him as he extracted enough bills to cover more than his share of the bill.

"Let me get mine" she offered.

"Well, I could say yes to that, taking into account the rude awakening last night, and you also whooping my ass at football earlier, but it's not gonna happen" he told her, his dimples on full display as he grinned.

Returning the smile, Amber looked across the table and witnessed similar conversations taking place between her two friends with Zacky and Brian.

"So who's paying for me?" Johnny asked.

"As much as I love you Seward, I'm not trying to get in your pants, so you can pay for yourself" Jimmy told him as he threw a few notes into the middle of the table.

Eventually, they made it outside, wondering which direction to head towards. Reaching a decision, they ambled along the main road, chatting casually amongst themselves as what appeared to be the ideal bar came into view. Not being one to waste time, Brian made straight for the bar, taking Rhian with him whilst the others settled themselves in a booth.

"Oh sweet...pool table!" Johhny declared. "Who's up for making this a little more interesting? We pair up, and every time there's a miscue, or failed attempt to pocket a ball, that person downs a shot."

"I'm up for that" Andie piped up, ignoring the look of protest Amber threw her way.

"Oh lord" Amber sighed, watching in dread as Zacky and Andie headed straight for the pool table, teaming up against Johnny and Jimmy.

"Everything ok?" Matt asked.

"Oh, Andie can play pool well, although she may not be up to the same standard as you guys...it's just that much more than four shots and she'll be reeling home, if not passed out on the floor" Amber admitted.

"Oh really now?" Johnny mused, grabbing a beer from Brian. "This could prove to be an interesting evening." he added with a smirk.

Amber and Rhian looked at each other, hoping he was wrong.

"Dammit! Not again!" Andie hissed as her hazy blue eyes witnessed the cue ball rolled way off target along the blue baize of the table.

"Absinthe, tequila or sambuca?" Zacky asked, looking at her with concern.

"Any one of th...em is likely to f...finish me o..fff" Andie hiccupped, "so what....ever's nearest" she decided.

Zacky cautiously handed her a shot of sambuca, making ready to catch her as she knocked back the aniseed liquid.

"Ooops! " she giggled, snuggling into Zacky's chest as his arms wrapped around her.

"I think that's enough" he told her with a chuckle, helping her back to the booth.

Amber took her position at the table, cue in hand. As she lined up her shot, a quick movement to her left caught her eye. Looking up swiflty, she realised then just what had been going on since they'd started playing.

"Johnny! Quit moving the balls!" she cried.

"What? I wasn't doing...hey!" he yelled at the swipe round the head that came from Brian's direction.

Rhian shook her head, realising then just how Andie had managed to miss so many shots and end up in her current state.

"Think maybe we should help ZV get Andie back to the hotel?" Brian suggested.

Rhian looked up at him and smiled, still amazed in the transformation in the man standing next to her.

"Amber and I can manage" she told him.

"Maybe so, but I was hoping that if we took her back, then you and I could get some alone time" he answered, deep brown eyes glistening playfully.

"And I know just what's going through your mind right now...and I didn't mean that" Brian added, kissing the top of her head.

"You can't be telling me Synyster Gates wants to just snuggle and talk" Rhian teased.

"It has been known" Brian chuckled.

"I'd like that" Rhian murmured.

Walking over to Amber, Rhian explained what was going on.

"I'll come with if you want" Amber offered, even though Matt had just suggested they go for a stroll along the beach.

"No it's ok, you stay with Matt, enjoy your last night here" Rhian assured her "because that's just what I intend on doing once I've gotten missy over there tucked up in bed!"

****************************************

Listening to the waves crash on the shore, Amber strolled alongside Matt, heels in one hand, the other enclosed in Matt's, enjoying the feeling of the soft sand beneath her feet. If anyone had ever asked her to envision how her final evening on vacation with her two best friends would be, Amber could honestly say this was never how she would have imagined it to be. Infact, Amber couldn't think of a more perfect way to end the week.

"So, what time is your flight tomorrow?" Matt asked quietly.

"1pm, which is probably just as well considering someone's going to be feeling a little fragile in the morning" Amber answered.

"Yeah, I have a feeling Johnny's gonna be made to pay for that one" Matt chuckled. "And when you get home, what are your plans?"

Amber stared up at him for a moment, the moonlight accentuating his features beautifully, wondering just why Matt was suddenly so interested in her plans.

"Hmm, well mainly work, work..oh and maybe some work thrown in there for a change. All three of us have found we have a tendency to be married to our careers, which is why we try and get away like this whenever we can."

Matt fell silent, almost as if he were thinking about how to approach what was clearly on his mind.

"A girl needs some fun more often than one snatched week here or there" he pointed out.

Amber looked out at the moon casting it's light over the darkened horizon. There was no denying Matt was right, she did need more fun, but her dedication to her job had a terrible habit of getting in the way. Andie and Rhian found themselves in similar situations. However, maybe it was time for change, maybe they all needed to let go a little and begin to live their lives a little less ruled by their careers.

"I mean, there must be a ton of guys back home waiting to take you out."

"Are you serious?" Amber laughed. "All of us have to be three of the unluckiest girls I know when it comes to dating."

"Ok, let me rephrase that" Matt began. "When I get back home, I'd really like to be able to take you out."

Amber turned back to look at Matt, searching his face for some kind of sign that he was fooling around.

"I don't know what to say" Amber whispered.

"Yes might be good...make me feel like less of a chump right now" Matt admitted.

"I think I'd like that."

A smile full of relief crept onto Matt's face as he cupped Amber's cheek in his large hand.

"Thank god" he murmured, his lips meeting hers.

"This movie is unbelievably fucking dumb" Brian muttered as he and Rhian lay on his bed watching The House Bunny. "Of course, I'm sure you'd disagree, what with it being a chick flick and all" he teased.

"Well we could have watched something more psychological, and then I could have ruined it for you by having worked the plot out within the first five minutes" Rhian replied with a smirk, sitting up slightly to grab her beer from the night stand.

"Do you analyse everything in life Miss Wilson?" Brian asked, straightening up and turning slightly, sitting to face Rhian.

Tucking her dark hair behind her ear, Rhian gazed down at the comforter.

"It has been known" she answered softly "it seems to be an occupational hazard."

She glanced back up at Brian.

"I've even been laying here trying to work out this little scenario, but for once, I have no answers" she admitted with a half-hearted smile.

Brian leaned in towards her.

"That's because there's nothing to figure out Rhian. We're two people who enjoy each other's company....what's there to analyse about that?"

Rhian sat back, pondering Brian's point. There was nothing to analyse. There was nothing about the situation that needed deeper thought. Recalling the conversation the previous evening with Amber, Rhian realised she did need to relax a little more, to actually give her psychiatrist's mind a rest every now and then, and allow herself to just go with the flow.

"Just realised I'm right?" Brian questioned, moving even closer.

"Maybe" Rhian answered in a hushed tone, swallowing hard as Brian's long fingers caressed the back of her neck, pulling her into him.

"Good."

Rhian's arms instinctively wrapped around Brian, as she found herself responding to his kiss. Brian smirked against her lips.

"Now now Miss Wilson, I do believe we decided on snuggling and nothing more" he scolded playfully, moving to lay back down, his arm outstretched in invitation.

Rhian grinned, laying her head on his broad chest, loving the way his fingers played with her hair. Not even bothering to stifle the yawn that escaped her, Rhian closed her eyes, feeling happier than she had done in a long time.

****************************************

Cautiously opening one eye, Andie gradually managed to focus on her surroundings and ascertain she was indeed in her hotel room. How she had managed the feat of getting there and actually into her pajamas was something of a mystery though. A cough from behind her caused her to turn over quickly, a move she instantly regretted as her head pounded. Her eyes widened at the sleeping form of Zacky that lay next to her on top of the covers, panic setting in slightly.

"Quit your worrying, I was a perfect gentleman, and Rhian was the one who helped you get changed" he told her with a smile, his eyes still closed.

"Oh thank the lord" Andie murmured, relief washing over her.

"I'm sorry that I obviously ruined your evening" she apologised.

Zacky's green eyes snapped open, a frown adorning his face.

"You did no such thing, if anything it was Johnny that ruined it, little shit" he yawned.

Andie simply nodded, and reached for her watch, glad to see she had a couple of hours before the taxi was due to arrive to take them to the airport. Glancing back over her shoulder at Zacky, Andie took a deep breath.

"Zack...I...well.....ugh!" she groaned in frustration.

Zacky sat up, studying her for a minute.

"Andie, I'm not going to lie, I like you. But if the feeling's not mutual, then I understand" he told her with a shrug.

"That's not what I was going to say...I was just going to tell you that I have to get ready soon...it's just that I feel as though I need to spend time with you, you know, to make up for last night" Andie admittedly sheepishly.

"Phew! Well how about we make a deal, when I get back to California, we get together, spend some time" Zacky suggested, holding out his hand.

Andie smiled as she took it, blushing as his lips brushed over her knuckles, his snakebites cold yet strangely inviting against her skin.

"I'll let you get ready" he whispered, getting up from the bed, leaving her sitting there, grinning.

As the elevator descended to the ground floor, three friends stood side by side, not a word passing between them. Each wore a whimsical satisfied look, the end of their vacation made all the better by the group of five men they had encountered during their final days in Hawaii. The elevator halted, the doors opening, allowing the three of them to step out, pulling their luggage behind them. Each handed over their card keys at reception, glances passing between them as it hit them that reality and routine were what lay ahead of them. As they turned to make their way outside, three figures standing by the doors caught their attention.

"Thought you were gonna leave without a goodbye?" Brian questioned, his gaze concentrated on Rhian.

"Well...we tried, but foiled again!" she joked.

Once outside, embraces, brief kisses and whispered promises were exchanged. As the three young women settled themselves in the back of the taxi, three young men stood side by side, not quite sure how the remaining days of their vacation were going to be without the women that had entered their lives and made each of them realise that maybe their days of playing the field might be about to come to an unexpected, yet welcome end.

Amber sighed, resting her head on Andie's shoulder, not wanting to look back at the man she was leaving behind.

"You'll see him again" Rhian reassured her, squeezing her hand.

"I know" Amber replied "As you will Brian, of that I'm sure."

"Just remind me to avoid alcohol if I see Zack again, because I'd actually like to try and hold a conversation that doesn't consist of me hiccupping all the way through." Andie stated.

Amber laughed.

"Has to be said though, best vacation we've had....even if we didn't exactly make a first good impression."

"Wouldn't change a thing though" Andie admitted.

"Oh you can bet your life I'd do that again!" Rhian exclaimed.
♠ ♠ ♠
And there it is....the final part! Huge thanks to all of you that have read, commented and subscribed.....you know the drill!

Dinner outfits
Rhian
Amber
Andie

Leaving outfits

Rhian
Amber
Andie