Status: in the works. Keep the Quija Boards out.

Shotgun Sinners and Wild Eyed Jokers Are Gonna Kill You

CHAPTER 4 - COME ANGELS OF THE LORD

Bob was drinking at the salon, thinking about the time he passed far from his hotel and his new mission. He felt something strange on the air. Someone was looking at him more than usual.

”May I help you, Mikey?” He turned his body around and took the drink.

”Nice to see you again too, Bob. I have something that can help us.”

“Really Mr. Fox?” Bob raised an eyebrow.

Mikey nodded a confident smirk across his face. “I believe this belongs to you and Mr. Way.”

In his hand was the very book Gerard had feared the Séances had.

Bob looked in astonishment “W-What are you doing with that!?”

“Thank me, Mr. Bryar. She wanted it, but I was smarter than her and took it first. And congratulations, hunters would kill for a book with this content.” And the boy gave it to Bob.

“We need to talk for hours apparently, Mr. Fox. Could you follow me until my bedroom? I mean, it’s not safe over here.”

“I sure can.”

The two men traveled back to the room where Gerard was restless, thinking of the strange woman and the rest of the happenings. Especially about the book that he thought was still lost. But his thoughts were quickly interrupted when Bob entered the room with Mikey right behind him. Gerard looked in awe, the stranger from Monroeville was the last person he thought he'd see.

“Mikey? Mikey Fox from Monroeville. What are you doing all the way out here?” Gerard said dumbfounded.

“I’m here to help you, man. And I’ve just wanted to return your book back.”

“My…my book?” he started stuttering.

“You thought I’d let this precious weapon in wrong hands? By the way, Gerard, we are in trouble now.”

Mr. Way and Mr. Bryar looked each other in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“That woman, staring you, I’m almost sure she’s a Séance, a dangerous Séance, by the way.”

Gerard's brow furrowed “What makes you think that? She seems too young and too new to the group, to be that powerful and that dangerous.”

Mikey chuckled and shook his head “But if she was that weak would she be as protected as she is. Even the Crix sisters themselves are protecting her.”

“He's got a point Gerard, they seemed very protective of her.”

Gerard nodded the information he was given began sinking in as he held the leather bound book close to his body. “True, but I just don't understand how someone so young could jump up in ranks that quickly.”

“You know, man. Young people are too confusing. Their thoughts lose the right way and start following bad things. When someone speaks in a shrewd way, they think it’s someone who will understand them, protect them. This age it’s that one when no one is able to understand them. So they seek people they judge rightly.”

“This makes quite a lot of sense… “ Gerard looked down, disguising his sad face. Inside his heart, something said she was nice, a quite beautiful woman. Such a hard problem. A Séance? He started wondering if it were possible to save some souls; if it were possible to make them come back to their good lives. How many Séances had he already destroyed without doubt?

Mikey looked at Gerard curiously “Something's eating at you, did you think this woman is special, any different?”

Gerard was taken back “N-No...I didn't th-”

Mikey cut him off “Seances are heartless, I've never heard of one marrying or falling in love. They're incapable. Don't get personal with your work Mr. Way, I've heard at times it can make things end badly.”

Bob quickly looked at Gerard, who know had a frustrated almost angry look stamped across his face. He knew that his companion was trying to keep himself from being hurt from Mikey's words. It was possibly the worst thing Mikey could have said to Gerard seeing as he had opened up to Bob about anything. “Look Mr. Fox, she's a gorgeous woman. It's not like any man could help it.”

Gerard raised himself and decided searching for something on his book. He was not in the mood for an argument about anything like this. It hit way too close to home and it was a matter he'd rather avoid.

“Gerard, I’m so sorry if my words hit a wound inside your heart, but I know about your past. You couldn’t do anything to save her.” Mikey stated in a low voice

A dark atmosphere fell on the place. Gerard’s face closed., his sharp eyes were looking at Mikey’s , staring, with a thirsty of blood. “Now look Mr. Fox, I could have saved her had I stayed around. Now I'd like to know why in the world you would know that about me. The only man that I have ever told about that is Bob and he hasn't wandered far enough to tell a soul.” His voice was filled with venom as he said so. “I'd also like to know what would make you think I couldn't save her? She was a perfect woman with a heart of gold, the pain of separation was just too much.”

Bob was taken back at Gerard's tone, he couldn't believe what he was seeing. Sure Gerard got frustrated and stressed out but never had he seen such an angry and hurt look across his friend's face. He knew things were about to get ugly. But he wasn't so sure if he was to step in or not. It was quite a personal matter. But they chose to leave it at that and rest for the night.

They spent one week investigating the great House of Wolves, including Gerard because of that woman. His mind was a quite confused. It made him to think about his past and what he would do when met her ex-wife. But she disappeared. No ghosts. No supernatural facts. So they decided to go to other city, all together.

The sheriff from Monroeville was hunting the fugitives, but they had a bit of luck, since Mr. Iero didn’t tell anything. Gerard was not sure enough about him. He was careful.
So when they were checking out, they received a surprise.

“ Guys, I might say I’m going to travel with you” Mr. Iero said smiling.

Gerard's brow furrowed at Mr. Iero's statement. “Really? When did this come to be?”

Frank smiled and lifted a guitar. “You are musicians, correct?”

“Well, uh, yes.” Bob stuttered out, unsure of what to do.

“Then I want to be apart of it.” Gerard was silent for a bit, thinking deeply about whether Frank would be a good addition.

He did know the House of Wolves like the back of his hands and with a séance on the team they would much more stronger. He sighed and nodded at Bob and Mikey. Then turned his attention to Frank.

“Well then Mr. Iero I guess you are in our group.” He nodded. “Get your things we need to get going before the sunsets.”

“We must be honest, Mr. Iero. I bet you know what we do besides the music.” Gerard stared him.

“I do. This is why I baffled the sheriff. Do not worry, I heard lots of stories about this stuff you hunt. I’ve never carried a gun with salt but I know how to shot very well. I’d appreciate if you taught me this art.”

“I’ve already said you’re in the group, no matter if you know few secrets and techniques. We need more people, the three Séances are approaching and we have to be ready. Welcome. Take your things.”

Frank nodded grabbing all his things, including his guitar. “Can't leave without it.”

Gerard nodded “It's quite alright.”

As the four set out across the desert, unsure of their direction but a presence that hovered over them seemed to lead them on. Small conversation popped up here and there along with small breaks but Gerard was quiet and driven. Leaving his companions curious of what was occurring in his head. Finally something appeared in the horizon, a tent. The strange sight caused confused glances between the four men. But Frank seemed to know what it was more than anyone.

“It's the Circo de los Muertos “ He smiled at them and excited look to his features.

“What?” Bob asked not understanding the foreign language.

“ Circus of Dead, I think. You know, circus is something quite old, but there is a new kind of circus nowadays, horror circus. Murderer clowns are my favorite.” Frank smirked at his friends.

“ Do they avoid children?” Mikey smiled.

“Ha, I’m sure they don’t. But after all, what are we going to do over there?”

“Who notices dead people at a horror circus?” Gerard said wisely.

“ Us?” The three said in unison.

“ Exactly, I’m not afraid of investigations, but this one is worrying me. It will be hard really hard to discover who is only a worker and who is a Séance or a clown, whatever.” Gerard explained watching the tent from the corner of his eye, watching all sorts of odd people from the corner of his eye.

“Ah, but Mister Way I believe you forget that I am on this team as well.” He smirked at his comrade “ I can tell a séance from a mile away my friend.”

That gave Gerard an almost sense of comfort “Well then Mr. Iero, I believe we'd be safe to go?”

Mikey grinned “For once we're working as a team.”

They all laughed at this remark, to be honest they had surprised each other with their sudden teamwork. The team now began their way across the barren out lands and finally reached the tent that was once on the horizon. Around them were plenty of oddly dressed people along with Day of the Dead face paint, it seemed like the heroes had entered a parallel universe. But even though it was intimidating they weaved their way through as nervous as ever. Bob kept his hand on his revolver that ready for whatever would need him to whip it out, but it seemed pretty calm and dare he thought it was fun. After the check in, they gave a break about the job and drank something at the saloon. Mikey heard that the circus would do a parade tomorrow morning. It would be a good chance.

“Hey, Mr. Fox, we are having fun here, why speak about work?” Bob said kidding.

“Man, it’s been a while. I don’t have much fun. Waiter, I’d like some Red Eye”.

The night was pretty, with full moon and few clouds. Wolves and coyotes made some music to the moon, lonely or in group. The air was cold and breezy, but not cold enough to have to change clothes. Gerard had taken an easy and all the men he traveled with couldn't help but be surprised by his relaxed state, he seemed so at home. On stage were talent acts and shows galore, keeping Frank mesmerized and entertained. Every man was in their own world, taking a break from the ghost hunting world. Well it at least seemed that way until a strange woman took the stage with a bow, Frank snapped to attention and shot a glance to Gerard. That's when everyone went rigid.

“Welcome to Circo De Los Muertos my friends.” Her voice was smooth and sweet. “ It's going to be a long night of fun and games. Unlike the serious business in the House of Wolves.” A playful smirk came across her scarlet lips. “Now comes our nightly show of horror, now it's not for those faint of heart so I suggest you leave or those who don't believe in the dead.” The crowd broke out in cheers while a few in the audience seemed startled by her words.

The show was nothing unusual for the five men, but to mortal eyes it was simply horrifying. The night was amazing, but the guys sensed something was going wrong. With the night still young, they decided to check the circus. Few lights were turned on. Careless steps around the trailers and the sound of the wind let the scene tense. Inside the shed, they spied the lunge carefully. With their hands, expert hands, they touched everything that looked odd or unique in their eyes.

“Nothing interesting here.” Bob said.

“Alright, we have the dressing.” Frank concluded.

“Dressing?” Bob asked his friend curiously.

Frank chuckled “You can't do anything without the dressing.” He patted his friend on the shoulder. “You'll learn soon enough.”

Bob sighed “ I didn't realize how much work this is.”

Chuckling Gerard had continued shuffling through the back, finding nothing but garbage and in valuables. But a sparkle was seen in the corner of his eyes, a necklace in the shape of a Quija arrow laid there. It was familiar in Gerard;s eyes, of course the necklace of a Luxe sister, but what was it doing here.

“Frank, come look at this before you start the dressing.” He motioned for the séance. But he was interrupted quickly. Some lights started blinking, a cold air whipped through them sending chills down their spine.. A Séance was close to them for sure.

“So, men, time to take the guns out.” Gerard ordered, making a circle with his partners. But nothing happened. They relaxed, except Mr Way. He never rests while he feels something amiss.

“Stop over there, I know we will face a ghost. I feel it.”

“Come on, Gerard. Not even you can always be right.” Frank stared him.

“I’m in business for quit some time, much more than you, Mr Iero. I know what I’m speaking about.”

Frank shook his head “ I wouldn't get too fool of yourself, Mr. Way. You'll meet your match.”

Before Gerard could respond back the door swung open and the announcer from earlier stood in the door frame, a malicious smile across her face. She walked forth a sway in her hips, out reaching her hand. “Excuse me Mr. Way, but I believe you have something that belongs to me.”

“You?!” Frank scoffed shaking his head while still keeping his gun aimed. “It's clearly one of the Luxe sister's.”

“Was, Mr Iero, It was one of the Luxe sister's.” A cruel smile was shot towards Gerard, and she shook her hand again. “I'd like to have it back, she so happened to be a good friend of mine.” She chuckled and shook her head at their defiance. “I guess this guy here didn’t tell you how strong I am. I mean, four guys on my hands, and there’s no salt or no iron that can keep me away. I’m just saying that if Artemis wanted you dead, I would already have done. But… I forgot something. Oh, yes, she said to do it. Now”. Her expression changed to something cruel, rising her arm and closing her hand.

There was no way to escape, Mikey decided it was time. Shutting his eyes he focused his energy on one place, a nearby hotel he had heard of. It would be the only safe zone for them.

“How in the world...” They all glanced around in awe.

Soon enough they all turned to Mikey, he was the only one not bothered by their situation. Gerard was shaken up gripping the necklace so tightly his knuckles had turned white. There was now another threat for all of them. But first an explanation from Mikey would be appreciated.

“What was that?' Bob asked rubbing his face as if to check he was there for sure.
Mikey sighed. “I'm not quite sure how to explain this.”

“Start with how you learned how!” Frank blurted out in confusion.

“I'm not quite as human as you all think, I'm not a ghost or a séance that's for sure.” Mikey continued looking for words. “But I did have a life before this one.”

“What are you saying? That you are a new kind of being?”

“Not exactly, you must know my race. It’s very old to be honest.”

“So what the hell are you?”

“I’m an angel.”

Laughs and scared eyes stared Mikey. Frank was the first to speak.“Dude, I thought you said you’re an angel.”

“So you’re not deaf.”

Gerard made everyone keep in silence. “No more questions from you guys. Mikey, tell the truth. If you really are an angel, what are you doing behind us?”

“I’m just obeying. Actually, I’m looking for someone called my brother. Everyone upstairs has brothers, but we are connected in a way I can’t explain. He lost his grace, I don’t know why.”

“Grace?” Bob asked.

“Yeah, our power. Without the grace, we can’t be angels anymore. We forgot our lives and become humans. The orders are clean, I have to follow you. This is why I know a lot of these things.”

“As I said before, I’m just obeying. Believe me or not, I’ll follow you until new orders. That’s all, guys. I’m here to help you, I saved all of you before, I could escape by myself, but I didn’t. So this night is ending up, I think I’m gonna rest a bit.”

“You’re an angel, you don’t need to rest.”

“I don’t, but I felt this is good. Plus, I think everyone here is going to rest. So I’ll do the same. Sleep well.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, readers. It's been a while, and I didn't have much time. I hope you like this charpter.
Xoxo