Copper View Ranch

Chapter One

Sophia stared out the windows as the fields full of cattle flashed by. She was itching to roll down the windows as the truck had no air conditioning but there was too much dust rising from the dirt road from the vehicle in front. With a sigh she slumped back against the seat, shooting a glare over to her father, who was driving.

Although it was a long drive from the airport, few words had been exchanged between the two. Sophia wasn't going to try to hide the fact she wasn't happy to be back. It had been hard enough to leave the ranch in the first place to live with her grandparents in the city so she could go to school. She had spent several painful months trying to fit in and make friends. Now, years later, she had to give it up and go back home. Copper View Ranch was miles away from the nearest town, which consisted of a corner store, gas station and a couple of other small stores.

"Emily should have lunch ready by the time we get back," Ethan said with a grin as he turned the truck down another narrow dirt road, finally driving underneath the big Copper View Ranch sign. He slowed the truck as they passed a few cows that were grazing around the road.

Sophia nodded, hardly listening as she took her phone out of her jean pocket and glanced at the screen to see if she had any texts. Her parents were a bit different than any of her friends parents from in the city. They always had her call them by their first names, instead of 'Mom' or 'Dad'. They also required her to do a large amount of chores that many kids wouldn't even consider.

At last the ranch came into view. The dirt driveway opened up into the barn yard. The large main barn's doors were wide open as a ranch hand pushed a wheelbarrow outside. To the left of the house on the hill was the large farm house. Smoke was rising from the chimney and Sophia recognized the two border collies trotting off the porch steps towards them. Horses filled the paddocks around the barn and Sophia's attention was momentarily drawn to a red bay horse trotting around the nearby round pen.

"Well, let's get you settled back in your room," Ethan said with a grin. He put his cowboy hat back on and opened the door before pulling one of Sophia's many suitcases out. She fumbled at the door latch, her eyes on the barn yard as she jumped out. She brushed her auburn hair out of her eyes as she awkwardly attempted to pull one of her heavy suitcases out of the truck.

"Here, let me get that," an unfamiliar male voice drawled. Sophia looked up to see a rather attractive ranch hand grab the suitcase from her with his callused hands. He picked it up as if it didn't weigh anything and took another suitcase out with his other hand. Feeling slightly flustered, Sophia pulled the last few of her bags out of the truck and followed Ethan up to the house.

"Sophia!" Emily called eagerly as she came out of the house, dusting her hands off on her apron. Her auburn hair was twisted up in a messy bun although some locks fell out around her face as she came up to Sophia, hugging her. "Wow, you look tanned already."

"Thanks," Sophia muttered awkwardly, blushing slightly. She wouldn't bother to mention that she spent the last few days lounging around pools and using tanning beds.

"Come on, let's get you settled in. I've changed your room around a bit, your room was actually renovated last year," Emily said eagerly as she took one of the bags from Sophia and led her up to the farm house. Sophia patted the dogs on the head quickly before stepping inside.

The farm house never seemed to change over the years. The hardwood flooring was always clean, and there always seemed to be a new painting of horses each time she came. There were flowers in vases around the house, and Sophia had the idea that Emily fixed it all up for her arrival. She hardly had time to look around before Emily led her up the wooden stairs to her room.

"Here it is," Emily smiled as Sophia let herself in. Her room overlooked the view of the valley beyond, mostly fields and the mountains. She could see some horses in the pastures below the horse from the balcony door. Her room was quite small, as most of the rooms in the house. Her bed took up most of the room along with the dresser and desk.

"I have to check on lunch, it looks like Ethan and Lucas brought up the rest of your things," Emily said before disappearing back down the stairs. Sophia breathed in deeply and could smell the homemade chicken soup simmering downstairs.

She spent a few minutes throwing some of her clothes in the dresser drawers, although she was quick to notice that there wouldn't be enough room. She also knew that a lot of her clothes wouldn't be suitable for wearing on the ranch. Her parents would be quick to start her back on chores, and anything she wore would get very dirty.

Crossing the room to the balcony door, Sophia gazed out for a moment to the horses below. It was years since she last rode a horse. Her parents sold the horse she had when she was a kid once she stopped coming during the summer to visit. She knew they couldn't keep a horse that wasn't being used for ranch work if she wasn't there to ride it.

Sophia took out her cell phone and glanced at the screen once again out of habit. She then realized they didn't get any reception up here. With a sigh she tossed her phone onto her bed and headed for the door. She was also aware that her parents didn't have internet, but that was one argument she was going to continue. She closed the door behind her as she exited the room and made her way down the stairs for lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
The title of this story is temporary, it may be changing soon.
Feedback is appreciated!