Locked Heart

Chapter Nine - Caleb- Part Two

In the morning, Caleb’s legs ached, her arms were stiff, and her neck protested when she sat up and hit her alarm off.
Could she go to school? Could Greg come? But she couldn’t leave her grandmother here alone… she rubbed her temples and stood up, stretching, then stumbling ungracefully to her closet. Somehow school didn’t seem all that important any more.
There was a knock on her door as she was pulling her jeans on. She tugged them up the rest of the way, then dug her arms into the plaid shirt over her white tang top, before opening the door. Her grandmother was standing there. The woman eyed her disapprovingly.
“You look like a boy, Callie, my goodness.” She said. Caleb glanced down at her unbuttoned shirt over the white one, sleeves scrunched up to her elbows, worn out jeans. With her lack of boobs, she probably could pull off being a guy. She smiled and pulled her hair back into a pony tail.
“Sorry, Granny.” She said, kissing the woman’s cheek.
“Yes, well…you’re just like your mother.” The old lady sighed and shook her head, but smiled nonetheless. Gregory appeared next to her grandmother, eying Caleb. She felt a blush creeping up her neck, but her stubbornness didn’t allow her to button up her shirt.
“That’s good.” Gregory nodded, running his hands through his thick brown hair. “Perfect for where we’re going.”
“We’re going somewhere?” Caleb raised her eyebrows, then scrunching them together.
“Just a day trip.” Greg reassured her. “I don’t suppose you know how to ride a horse?”
“Of course I do!” Caleb scoffed.
“Well then, eat a hearty breakfast, ‘cause we’re going riding.” He grinned, and Caleb couldn’t help but smile back. Somehow the man made it seem like her life wasn’t falling apart.