Locked Heart

Chapter Six - Caleb

“So…you’re expecting me to believe this?” Caleb asked, running her finger along the top of her glass. Gregory, who was sitting on the couch opposite of her, nodded a bit sheepishly.

“I’m telling you, either believe it, or don’t. If you refuse to listen to me, you may very well end without a life.”

“Okay…” Caleb said thoughtfully. “So you expect me to believe that a group of very strong vampires are coming to kidnap me, and try to get my grandmother’s locket from me, because it holds a very large power that can destroy the world, had I willed it to?”

“Yes.” Gregory said seriously, nodding. Caleb put the glass on the coffee table in front of her and stood up.

“Well, I’m glad I got this chance to meet you, Mr. Johnson.” She said, sounding more or less robotic, before turning and starting to head out of the small house. The man jumped up and followed, reaching out to grab her arm, then thinking better of it and pulling back.

“If you die, think about what your parents will have to go through!” He blurted out. Caleb paused, then turned slightly to glance at him.

“I’m not going to die. This whole thing is some sick prank.” She said coldly. “I’m not sure what I was thinking to have come with you in the first place.”

“But you drove my car. How are you going to get back?” He asked.

“I’ll walk.” She said simply, before walking out of the door. A moment later he darted out of the house, a coat in his hands.

“At least let me drive you back! Please? It’s cold out, and I don’t want you to get sick.” Gregory said, coming up besides her just before Caleb turned onto the street. She glanced at him. Could she trust him? He seemed like an insane maniac, but a safe one. He brought her here, at the very least he could drive her back.

“Alright.” She said. She had actually been dreading the long walk back, though she had walked farther before.

To her surprise, he draped the jacket over her shoulders. “Come on.” He said, starting towards the truck. Caleb followed quickly.

“Where have you been, child?” Granny asked heavily. Caleb stopped in front of her, leaning over and kissing the old woman on the cheek. Granny shifted in the armchair, smiling and patting Caleb’s hand.

“I was just meeting a friend at the café, Granny.” She said, smiling. “Do you want some tea?”

“Of course, dear.” Caleb nodded and turned into the kitchen. It was relatively small for the big house. It was smaller than most of the closets, even. She had her theories that it had been a secret room at one point; there was no door, but when she looked at the walls, there was evidence that there was a door there at some point. Maybe it had been on of those doors that was the same color of the walls, and was hard to see.

Smiling at her silly child fantasies, she brought a tea tray towards her grandmother, resting it on the coffee table, and sitting down on the other couch. She poured the tea, then put some sugar and cinnamon into it.

“Here, Granny.” She said, handing the cup to the woman, who took it and lifted it to her nose to smell it.

“Well, I do feel spoiled.” She laughed, then took a sip. Caleb smiled. After the events that happened, this felt strangely normal.

“I have a question.” She said, once her grandmother had put the cup down. She straightened the blanket on her lap, smiling at Caleb.

“Anything, doll.” She said. Caleb fingered the handle on her cup, before putting it down.

“Do you know by the name of Gregory Johnson?” She asked, looking up when her grandmother didn’t reply. She was frowning now, almost glaring at Caleb. The girl was taken back slightly.

“How do you know about him?” She asked sharply.

“I…” Caleb shifted uncomfortably. “He talked to me in the café today. He said he was a friend of my parents.” She watched Granny sit up straighter, fixing the blanket again, pulling it up higher. “Is he bad?” She finally asked.

“No.” Her grandmother replied quietly. “But his appearance means something else is evil. Have you met any strange people lately?” She asked.

Caleb’s thoughts immediately turned to Legend. She opened her mouth, surprised at what came out. “No.” She said, then shut her mouth quickly. She had never lied to her grandparents, or her parents, before. Granny looked her up and down, and guilt washed over her.

“I met a kid at the store.” She said carefully. “He paid for the milk I brought home yesterday. His name was Legend. He said he was in my old school.”

Granny sighed, looking thoughtful, before shaking her head. “Caleb, please be careful from now on.” Caleb swallowed, shocked. “And, oh yes, you must trust Greg.”

Caleb nodded slowly, before standing up. “I’m going to do my homework.” She said numbly. She could feel her grandmother’s eyes on her as she walked up the stairs. How had her life changed over night?