Status: oneshot(:

Like a Star.

1/1

Image

Just like a star across my sky,
Just like an angel off the page,
You have appeared to my life,
Feel like I'll never be the same,
Just like a song in my heart,
Just like oil on my hands,
Honor to love you


“I still remember the first day we met, Evan. Do you?” Adeline asked, watching her boyfriend’s face carefully. The silence in the room was deafening. The calm after the storm, she thought. They had just finished a huge argument, one of several in the last few days. Adeline was worried. She didn’t want to lose Evan, he meant almost everything to her. She took in another breath.

“It was sophomore year. We were in the same homeroom. You were new, and I was astounded by you. I had never seen anyone so handsome. It was like you were sent from above. I knew right then that something was different about you. And I liked it.” She added, continuing to watch his face. Evan was sitting on the couch, his hands covering his face.

She sighed, sitting down in a chair. This might take awhile.

Still I wonder why it is,
I don't argue like this,
With anyone but you,
We do it all the time,
Blowing out my mind,


“Do you remember our first argument, Adeline?” Evan’s voice rang out from the couch, and she looked over at him. He ran his fingers through his dark curly hair, letting out a sigh. She frowned, but nodded.

“Yes. We were on our third date, and you thought I was staring at another guy.”

“I was ridiculously jealous.” Evan said, a hint of humour in his voice. “I couldn’t believe you had actually agreed for a third date, and I was worried that you had only come because you felt bad for me because I was the new guy.” Adeline smiled slightly.

“I was surprised you asked for a third date. I thought you would have lost interest in me.”

Evan shook his head.

“Quite the opposite, actually. But, that was our first fight. I was so jealous, I wasn’t even thinking straight.”

“I got so upset, I walked home.” Adeline said, laughing lightly at the memory. Evan gave a small smile, and nodded.

“I followed you home in the car so you wouldn’t get hurt.”

You've got this look I can't describe,
You make me feel like I'm alive,
When everything else is au fait,
Without a doubt you're on my side,
Heaven has been away too long,
Can't find the words to write this song,
Oh...
Your love,


“I remember the day you officially asked me out, too. You had this look in your eyes, like you were the happiest person on Earth. But I knew that couldn’t be possible, because I was.” Adeline said, curling her feet underneath her in the chair. She smiled at the memory.

“I don’t know. When your face lit up and you said yes, I was the happiest man alive.” Evan
said, smiling again. Adeline blushed slightly, and then thought of another thing.

“Do you remember the day Lexie got mad at me for dating you? She told me if I didn’t break up with you she wouldn’t talk to me again.” She said, looking back over at him. Evan nodded, frowning slightly.

“But I didn’t, because I knew that what we had was special. I knew I loved you then, you know, even if I didn’t say it.” Adeline finished, nodding slightly.

Still I wonder why it is,
I don't argue like this,
With anyone but you,
We do it all the time,
Blowing out my mind,


They sat in silence a few more minutes, each thinking back on the good times they shared. The silence reminded Adeline of the silence that had occurred only minutes before, after one of the biggest fights they had had. She couldn’t even remember what sparked it, all she remembered was the shouting that had gone on. She didn’t know her voice could go that loud, and Evan’s voice had sent shivers down her spine. In the back of her mind, she knew he wouldn’t hurt her, but for split seconds, she feared he might.

She rubbed her temples with her hand, closing her eyes.

“Evan?”

“Yeah?”

“Can we stop this?” He looked up at her, confusion written on his face.

“Stop what?”

“The fighting.”

Now I have come to understand,
The way it is,
It's not a secret anymore,
'cause we've been through that before,
From tonight I know that you're the only one,
I've been confused and in the dark,
Now I understand,


Evan looked at Adeline for further explanation.

“I don’t know how to explain. I just want to stop. Evan, I love you. I don’t want to fight with you every day. I want to call you without worrying that something will happen that will end in a screaming match, or be able to go on dates without us having to leave early. I don’t want to lose you.” She said, locking eyes with him. He paused for a moment before replying.

“Adeline, every single time I start feeling angry, or start arguing with you, I feel awful. I wish that we could stop, and I promise, I’m going to try my hardest. Losing you would be the worst thing that could happen to me.” He said, getting off the couch and moving towards her, taking her hand in his, and kneeling down on the floor next to the chair.

I wonder why it is,
I don't argue like this,
With anyone but you,
I wonder why it is,


Adeline looked into Evan’s eyes, sliding off the chair to be next to him, as close as possible.

“I’m going to try my hardest. If I have to work with everything I’ve got to make this work out, I will.” She promised him, resting her forehead against his.

I won’t let my guard down,
For anyone but you
We do it all the time,
Blowing out my mind,


Adeline knew she was vulnerable. She knew that she opened up to Evan like she opened up to no one else, and that he could hurt her most of all. But, she also knew that he wouldn’t hurt her. She trusted him, and she knew that the trust wasn’t going to be broken.

Evan smiled, sending butterflies through Adeline’s stomach. She loved his rare smile, the wide smile where he showed his teeth.

“I promise, this is going to work out. We’re going to make it.” He said, kissing her softly.

Just like a star across my sky,
Just like an angel off the page,
You have appeared to my life,
Feel like I'll never be the same,
Just like a song in my heart,
Just like oil on my hands
♠ ♠ ♠
comment, please.