Meredeth

Daddy Dearest

I came home and everything was quiet. This is good, I can't get in trouble for something I didn't do. I kicked off my checkered vans, the last thing my mother bought me, and carried my backpack to my room. Once I got up the stairs a strong odor filled my lungs. I began coughing, knowing what it was. Opiates. I saw his door knob twist and like the cowardly, skittish little rabbit I was on the inside I ran from my predator. I shut the door and locked it quickly.

"Melissa! I know you're in there! Get your fat ass out here now!" He shouts as he bangs on the door. I'm surprised that this door is as resilient as it is. His pounding reverberate through my chest and make my heart ricochet in my rib cage. I slide down so that I'm sitting on the floor. He's still screaming at me. I cover my ears to try and block his offenses but it doesn't work, I carry them with me every day. I look at my statuette of the Virgin Mary holding Baby Jesus. I know they exist because I'm still alive.

Finally the shouting and the pounding stop. His door slams. I still sit on the floor with my back to the door thanking Baby Jesus and Virgin Mary that I made it through another day and that I'm not dead like my mother. I crawl to my station and take out a pencil and some paper. By the time ten thirty rolls around I'm finished with the sketch. I stare at her face and then into her eyes. She's Beautiful.