Look Closer

Chapter Nineteen

"I kissed Jack," Chelley said out of nowhere. She had been listening to her friends converse around her but she was not actually involved in any of their conversations and it had started to get to her. So she said the one thing that had been inundating her thoughts no matter how desperately she tried to think about anything else.

All other conversations stopped immediately and everyone's eyes fell on her. The looks on their faces were all that of utter surprise both at what she had said and that there seemed to be no reason for her to share such information. But everyone was intrigued, though no one seemed to know how to voice it.

They all just stared at her for awhile. Her words hung in the air around them until Angie finally spoke. "Why?" she asked. And she meant it in every way possible.

Chelley shrugged. "I'm not sure. It felt like the right thing to do," she said. "He told me he loves me," she finished.

Angie's eyes nearly flew out of their sockets. "He said what?" she asked.

"That he loves me," Chelley repeated.

"Before or after you kissed him?" she asked, her eyes narrowing.

Confusion fell over Chelley's face. "Before," she said. "Does it make a difference?"

"It could," Angie replied. "See, if he said it afterward, it could have only been because he thought it would make you change your mind about everything. Because, you know, that's all he's been trying to do this time. Which is just ridiculous."

Alex rolled his eyes but didn't say anything. Chelley's face fell but she tried to disguise her disappointment. "It seemed like he really meant it. I mean, I was really upset because his mom really hates me. Like, she doesn't want me anywhere near him. And he said it doesn't matter what his mom thinks because he loves me," she said.

Tears were welling in her eyes and she silently pleaded with them to stay where they were. She, along with everyone else, already knew Angie's very strong opinion on the whole situation. And in the beginning, Chelley had been thankful because it was someone who felt the same as she did. But it seemed to stab at her insides now and she didn't really know why.

She was still planning on going through with the annulment and Jack seemed more willing than ever to oblige her. But there had been a feeling in her stomach that she couldn't seem to shake since she'd been back. All she could think about was his ring that sat on the night table next to her bed. The ring that she wished part of her didn't still want to see on his finger.

"He didn't mean it," Angie said matter of factly. Cassie's mouth opened to say something but Angie put her hand up. "Don't fall for it, Chelley. Jack is a child. He doesn't know how to love anyone besides himself. He doesn't know how to put anyone before himself."

Alex couldn't keep his opinion to himself anymore. "God, You're a raging bitch, Angie. You know that?" he said. Her eyebrow raised but she let him continue. "Contrary to your belief, Jack is actually a really good guy. Sure, he likes to make dick jokes and he doesn't always think everything through all the way, but you know what? I'm the same way, and so is your boyfriend. So maybe you need to get down off your high horse for a minute and take a look at the whole situation. If Jack didn't know how to put anyone before himself, he wouldn't have agreed to the annulment. He wouldn't have put together a party for Chelley's birthday in a day. And he wouldn't have invited Chelley to Vegas to begin with. So why don't you just shut the fuck up and let Chelley make up her own mind instead of poisoning her brain with your shitty opinion."

A laugh escaped Angie's throat. "That was really cute, Alex. Really. It's adorable that you'll defend your friend even though he's the one who ultimately started this whole thing," she said.

Alex's eyebrows pulled together and his forehead wrinkled. "What are you talking about? They were both drunk. Shit happens," he said.

"Yeah, Ang," Chelley said quickly, trying to keep Angie from saying what everyone but Alex knew was coming next. One small detail had not been shared with him and everyone had agreed that he was on a need to know basis, and he didn't need to know. "It was a mistake on both our parts. You can't blame it all on Jack." She shot Angie a look that begged her not say anything.

But Angie wasn't about to let it go. "That's not what I'm talking about. Jack always puts himself first. He liked Chelley while you were still dating her," she said.

"Angie, you really need to shut up," Cassie said. Her tone had a seriousness about it that no one had heard before from her.

Alex shook his head. "No, I think she needs to continue. Everyone here seems to be privy to information that hasn't been shared with me," he said. "So please, go on, Angie. Enlighten me."

With a nod, Angie continued. "Jack, your dear best friend who you are willing to defend to the death, is the one who spilled the beans to Chelley about you and Cassie," she said. A sly grin slid across her face.

Shock covered Alex's face. His eyes traveled around the room to each person's face. His friends, his girlfriend, all had looks that ranged from enraged to ashamed. And then there was Angie, who looked proud of herself for getting it out in the open. He didn't know who to be the most angry with.

Once the shock began to wear off, he stood without a word and walked out Cassie's house, slamming the front door behind him. He furiously dialed a number and brought the phone his ear. It rang once, then a second time.

"Yo," Jack answered in the middle of the third ring.

The anger inside Alex exploded at the sound of Jack's voice. "What the fuck, Bro?" he yelled.

"Um-" Jack began, very confused. But Alex cut him off.

"What the fuck," he said again. "What were you thinking? How could you, my supposed best friend, sell me out? That's some shady fucking shit, brother. I thought we had each other's backs. I mean, that's what brothers do right? They look out for each other, not sell them out."

"Okay, Alex, I have no idea what you're yelling at me about right now," Jack said calmly.

He exploded again. "Chelley, Jack. I'm talking about Chelley and how you were hanging out with her while I was away for a weekend and telling her that Cassandra and I dated before," he spat.

Jack drew in a deep breath. "Well, I'm sorry, Alex. I thought she deserved better than being cheated on. And that was something you should have told her from the moment Cassie came back into your life. But either you lack a conscience or you didn't really care about Chelley enough to share that with her. Someone had to. You know, to make a point. Kind of like you did when you slept with my girlfriend in high school," he said defensively.

"Are you serious? Have you been harboring bitterness toward me for five years? And you finally found the right moment for revenge?" Alex yelled.

Jack's eyes rolled and he sighed. "No, Alex. I didn't do it out of bitterness or revenge. I did it because Chelley is an incredible girl. And she didn't ever do anything to deserve what you were doing to her. Honestly, I didn't want to tell her. It was a really hard decision for me to make, to betray you in that way. But I couldn't bear to see her get crushed by your selfishness and stupidity," he said. "There, I said it, since no one else would."

"You know what?" Alex said angrily. "Fuck you, Jack."

"No, fuck you, Alex," Jack said ended the call.
♠ ♠ ♠
The drama llama! Anyone who read Nothing Goes As Orchestrated had to know this would come up eventually, right?