Baby, I Make the Corner Cry

This is destruction

The echo of small, hollow footsteps comes from behind me. I don't care to look, but soft, warm hands find their way around me. My vision is blurred, but I look up to meet the hidden kindness in those sapphire blue eyes framed in the wild halo of messy blond hair. I can't help but think that there could be hope for me yet. My lungs still scream for oxygen, but then there is a pure, weightless sense of serenity in me, like the calm after the storm. I look out into the distance, passed the cars, the streetlights, and the harbour, to see the stain of sunlight on the horizon. It is the most beautiful scene I have ever witnessed.

I can hear crying, but this time, I do not want it to stop. It is my own, and I let it come just this once. I have vowed for a lifetime that my eyes would never grant the world this flood of anguish and hopelessness and weakness. But if the anguish and the hopelessness and the fear- If the tears do not rain down and stain the pavement below me, then there will be no room for hope, or faith or serenity in my future. I will never know rebirth, I will never know comfort, I will never know love, and I will never know what good there is to be found in the dark corners of my heart.

"I am broken," I declare hoarsely.

She looks back in surprise, and I see myself reflected in her eyes. "We are all broken at one point or another," she tells me. "If we do not break, then we do not leave room to pick up the pieces and become something more."

I get to my feet and help Molly to hers. The sun is gaining slight ground by each coming moment and I can see it cast a light glow over our profiles. I am looking into those vast sapphire blue eyes and state, “My name is… Alistair.”

She stands in shock- that weightless, hopeful smile filling her face as I turn and take my first real independent step since I left that prison on a home, and turn with hope towards the warmth of the crowded party behind us. Her shoes echo the crunch of mine against the pavement of the road home, following close behind, arms outstretched and it appears that everything begins to move in slow motion. I look up into the blindness of ghostly grey headlights, the choking feeling consuming and paralyzing me, and the last sound I hear is the sound of a girl screaming.

Suddenly everything becomes clear to me; suddenly everything makes sense.
This is destruction.