Dreaming of you, only makes reality hurt even worse

Sleeping Forever

“Goodnight, Mom.” I muttered quietly, putting my glasses on the dresser next to the bed. I don’t get a response, probably because she’s too busy figuring out the percent of inflation for the next seven years. I turn on the radio, and flick off my light, standing in complete darkness. The way I like it. I walk over the organized chaos of my room, and sit in my bed. This is where I should probably pray to have an easy sleep, but I don’t want an easy sleep. I want my sleep to have dreams. I slide under the covers and close my eyes, hoping that tonight, I won’t be disappointed. That I will not wake up with out a glimpse. I close my eyes, letting sleep take over my weary body.

I open my eyes to the normal setting. The park, the sun is shinning, birds are flying, but nobody else is there but me. Some nights, I’m alone, but others, the others are the only reason I am still alive. I sighed and leaned against the tree I was propped too, sighing. The only good thing about dreams is having the power to do whatever you please, so I summoned an art pad, and started to draw. In my dreams, I’m as good as anybody, but reality always comes crashing down upon me.

“You’re getting better.” A deep voice whispers to me. I smile and shiver slightly, doing a bit more shading,

“Really? I don’t think so.”

“Doesn’t matter what you think, since you are a figment of my imagination.” He announced, scaring off the birds. I snorted, and stood up looking at him. His hazel brown eyes were shining, outlined in black as usual, and that lopsided grin was on his face.

“Yeah right, you are a figment of my imagination. I mean, look at you.” My dream looked at himself and frowned slightly,

“What’s wrong with the way I look?”

“I like it; I’ve seen nobody else like you in my life.” I whispered, looking down at my bare feet. The grass shot up between my toes, and I felt nothing but embarrassment. How sad that a figment can make me feel such things.

“You’re blushing, April.”

“You’re telling the truth again, Frank.” I snorted and then looked at the sky, “For all of the names in the world, why Frank?”

“I was just thinking the same thing about April.”

“My mom really likes that month, because of the weather. And she hated the fact that I wasn’t born in it so.” Frank began to laugh gently, and then sat down on the grass, pulling me down to him. I smirked and shook my head,

“How was your imaginary day?” He asked me.

“Like any day, I wanted to go to sleep. I wanted to see you. And yours?” I answered shortly, not really wanted to get into the reason why I wanted to see him. I wonder if he could tell that I loved him, that if I could, I would sleep forever.

“Boring.” He answered, leaning on the tree, closing his eyes, giggling again, “We had a show, but that was about it. I couldn’t wait to sleep.” I blushed and looked at the sky, smiling. I wanted to ask him why, and I wanted him to tell me everything I have ever wanted.

“Frankie…” I started looking at him, he looked over at me, and taking his attention away from the grass, he was picking at. His hazel eyes gazing into my bland boring eyes made me want to vomit, “I’m glad that I’ve met you,” I whispered, turning away from him. I felt the heat start to push against my cheeks and my eyes. I put my hand out to catch one tear and shook my head, “So unfair,” I whispered.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” He asked, fear in his voice. Frank turned me around and cleaned my tears with his thumb, “Hey, April talk to me.”

“I can’t.” I whispered, and then I sniffled, shaking my head, “You’re leaving me again.” He looked at himself in horror, his pale skin filled with tattoos started to turn a clear color, “I’ll talk to you later…” I said, like usual.

“April…I don’t want to wake up yet.” He said holding my hand. I give a soft smile and stand up looking at the sky,

“You don’t have a choice, and neither do I.” I said, turning away from him. Because if I watch him leave, one more time, I will have nothing to live for. I have to wake up; I have to…this heartache, I cannot take it. Suddenly, I felt naked and empty. I looked over my shoulder and Frank was gone. I grabbed my chest and sank to my knees, leaning on the tree.

“Hey, April, are you okay? You were crying again?” I heard fuzzily. I rubbed my eyes, wincing at the light that flooded from the hallway. I looked at my little brother, his green eyes filled with concern and love. I smiled softly at him and held in my tears, if mom ever found out that I cried in my sleep, the mental ward is where I would be.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I whispered, grabbing my pillow, “Aiden, will you sleep with me tonight? I don’t…wanna dream, because dreaming only makes reality hurt worse” He nodded, confused, but he did not ask me what I was talking about because he would never understand.

The daybreak came quickly, Aiden was already gone before I was awake, but that was normal. I lied in bed for a few minutes, trying not to think of him. His lips, his eyes, his hugs, his laugh. Nevertheless, the more I forced myself not to think of him, the more I wanted to sink back into sleep. Frankie…I sighed and put the pillow back over my head, wanting sleep to come over me. This time, I will profess my love for him. This time, I will tell him that I will stay in our dream world forever. This time I will….

“It’s time to get up! Brandon and Sabrina are downstairs.” My mother said through the closed door. I sighed and grunted, pushing myself off the bed. I opened my door and yelled,

“Don’t you two know to call people so they can get ready?”

“Don’t you know what today is?” Brandon called back, then I saw him walk into my line of vision, his dark skin glowing with joy. I raised an eyebrow,

“Saturday.”

“Don’t you remember what we are doing for a whole week?” Sabrina asked, walking next to Brandon, her hair was different. Blond with pink highlights, and a nose ring. Apparently, there was something very important that I was forgetting. What is it…what is it?

“The road trip!” I cried in horror. The two of the laughed softly to themselves,

“Good thing we packed for this in advanced,” Rina giggled, walking to my room, “Get in the shower and we will be on our way. I’ll get your stuff.”

“Have I ever told you that you are lovely?” I said to her, walking to my bathroom,

“Only every day of my existence!”