Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Chapter Eleven

[Jess]

I peeled off my wet clothes before I stepped into the shower. The warm water, combined with the smell of my Vanilla & Honey body wash and cherry shampoo, soothed me into bliss.

After I dried my hair, I climbed into bed and turned off the light on the nightstand beside me. It had stopped raining while I was in the shower, so I left the door open to let in the muggy June air. I closed my eyes and listened to the city sounds as I faded into sleep.

***
I was sitting at a table in an empty room. On the table were pictures of my new friends and my old friends. Candles were right next to them, each one a different length and color. The candles next to my new friends were tall, as if new, and white. They burned brightly, like nothing could put them out.

The candle next to Kelsey's picture was the same way: white and burning brightly.

But the candles next to the guys' pictures were shortened, as if they had been used for a long time before this. These candles were dark red and the flame on each candle was smaller than the ones on the white candles.

And then there was the candle next to Bam's picture. It was the smallest candle of all, no bigger than the length of my thumb. The tiny flame sputtered wildly as though someone was trying to blow it out from a few feet away. His candle was black, and the wax spilled down the sides and onto the edges of his picture.

Then the the tiny flame flared up and went out, leaving nothing but a curl of smoke that disappeared into the air.