Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Chapter Fifteen

[Jess]

I led Bam into the park through the main gate. He was walking too slow, looking at everything around him, so I grabbed his hand to pull him along. Tingles shot through my arm like electricity in a live wire, but I tried my best to ignore it.

"Do you know where you're going?" he asked me as we continued to walk.

"Of course. I used to come here all the time when I needed to think, or when I needed inspiration." I replied looking for the telltale lights that hung in the trees.

"There!" I pointed and nearly ran with him to the location I had grown used to being in. Tall maple trees surrounded a small pond, and small white lights twinkled in the branches. A fountain was on in the middle of the pond, lit up by a white light from under the water, and the smell of lilies hung in the air. I couldn't hear the cars, nor could I see the lights from the tall buildings surrounding the park.

"Why is this the only part of the park that's lit up like this?" Bam asked after a few moments of silence.

"I think it's some kind of memorial. I'm not sure. All I know is that it's lit up year round. People get married here all the time, too." I walked onto a wooden bridge that stretched over the small stream leading into the pond and leaned on the railing at the middle.

"Can I ask you something?" Bam asked, leaning on the railing next to me.

"What?" I asked.

"Back in the restaraunt, when we were dancing...what did you mean when you said that junior year was the best? After everything that happened that year?" he asked.

"I meant what I said about how it made us stronger, but that wasn't what I wanted to say." I admitted with a sigh.

"What did you want to say?" he asked as he continued looking down into the water, the lights on the bottom of the pond casting reflections of light onto his face and in his eyes, making them a deeper blue than I had ever seen before.

"Out of every day in junior year, the last day was the day that made everything worth it." I replied.

"That night in your aunt's backyard." he remembered.

"You remembered that?" I asked in surprise.

"How could I forget it? Whenever I hear that song, I close my eyes and I can almost smell oranges and tropical flowers." he smiled.

"When the notes on the piano faded and we could only hear the crickets chirping." I added.

"And I can almost remember how bright the stars shone, reflecting in your eyes." he whispered, looking at me.

"When you talked about the 'thrill of the unknown'." I brought my face closer to his.

And with the sound of the stream in the background, our lips met for the second time in almost seven years.

And I may have been hearing things, but I could almost swear that, aside from the sound of the stream, I could hear the last notes of 'For Good', fading like they had that last night of junior year.
♠ ♠ ♠
*appears from hiding* well?