Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Twenty Two

Lost in my wishing, I suddenly heard plastic bags being set down on the counter, cupboard doors opening, and pans being rattled around

"What the hell?" I groaned and threw the covers off of me, goosebumps rising on my bare arms and legs from the air conditioner on full blast.

I shuffled down the hall and into the kitchen area to see Kelsey pouring pancake batter on a skillet on the stove while coffee bubbled in the pot next to the sink.

"Good morning!" she chirped brightly as I hopped up on the island that separated the kitchen area from the living room.

"One, how the hell did you get in to my apartment and two, what posessed you to get up at," I paused to see that it was barely 8:30. "8:30 to drive over here and make breakfast?" I asked, swallowing a yawn.

"I know you keep a spare key hidden in a flap in the back of your doormat. And I can't come over and make breakfast for my oldest and dearest friend?" she tried to sound hurt.

"Nothing happened last night, if that's what you're getting at." I looked her right in the eye.

"Uh-huh. Sure nothing happened. That's why you're wearing Bam's shirt and those teeny tiny shorts Erica bought you for your birthday. And why you have a serious case of bed head." she gave me the once-over.

"In case you haven't noticed, Bam's not here. He left at like...four this morning because we stayed up half the night talking." I explained. She dropped the spatula she was holding in surprise.

"Shit, Jess! He was in your apartment all night and you two didn't do anything?" she yelped.

"Were we supposed to have done something?" I asked sarcastically as I took a large sip of the coffee she had poured for me.

"Well I was hoping that while I made breakfast you would tell me you jumped his bones or something." she sighed. I almost fell off the counter while choking on my coffee, but I managed to get it down and right myself.

"Did we switch minds or something? That sounds like something I would say!" I gasped.

"Well it's true! Come on, Jess! You finally see him after all these years and don't do anything? Hell, you should've seen yourself last night! You know I don't like you like that, but damn, you had the whole sex kitten thing going on!" she exclaimed.

"Are you on something right now? Where did this all come from?" I asked, slightly amused.

"Oh, last night at dinner the rest of the guys were taking bets on what would happen when you two were alone." she admitted.

"So you came here to get information and spread it to them?" I asked her.

"Well if there was anything good that you told me, I would probably still screw with their heads and say nothing." she turned back to the stove. I sighed and shook my head.

Suddenly she whirled around.

"You wanted something to happen, didn't you?" she asked.

"Is it that obvious?" I leaned forward and rested my elbows on my knees.

"So why didn't you make something happen?" she winked suggestively.

"Because that would've been the wrong thing to do? Hell, I really only saw the 'real' Bam we once knew for one night." I shrugged.

"But what if you never see him again?" she asked. With a flourish and a smirk, I pulled a folded piece of paper out of my shirt.

"Very classy. What's that?" she asked.

"Hey I didn't have a place to put it when he gave it to me. Besides it'll remind me to write it down somewhere. It's his address and phone number." I explained.

"I bet he loved seeing you shove his address down your bra." she giggled.

"Not as much as I loved seeing his reaction when I did." I agreed with a laugh.

"Trashy yet classy." she shook her head with a smile and turned back to the pancakes.