Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Twenty Three

I noticed something was off when I walked into work that night. Maybe it was the way everyone was grinning at me.

I tried to brush it off as I put my stuff away in the back room, but all the staring was slightly distrubing.

"Is my dress see-through or something?" I finally asked, the slightest touch of annoyance in my voice.

"No, we're just waiting for you to tell us about your little quality time with your old friends." Erica leaned forward in anticipation.

"We had a lovely dinner, danced a little bit at the restaraunt, and then went back to my place to watch the second Jackass movie." I skipped around the huge details.

"Hmm, that's not what I heard. What about you, Chloe?" Erica sent a sidelong glance to her.

"No, that's not what I heard, either." Chole stared at me, her dark green eyes seeing right through my charade.

"So why are you asking?" I rolled my eyes and sat down on a barstool to wait for the onslaught of questions from my curious co-workers.

"Because we're curious little gossips and our girl was out on the town with a celebrity." Erica spoke up before she was hushed by the rest of the kitchen staff, who were also eagerly listening. Even Ashleigh was hovering nearby. I blew out a candle on the bar, to the confusion of everyone, and waved Erica's hand away when she went to re-light it.

"Ugh, fine." I sighed. "We had a great time at the restaraunt, really, we did. We talked about the old times and it really felt like we were back in high school again, like we were sitting around April's kitchen about to eat after school. Then...Bam requested a song that we hadn't heard since sophomore year and he asked me to dance. The rest of the group, including Kelsey, left to do God knows what, which I still haven't asked her about, while Bam and I took a walk through Central Park. I took him over to that little section that always stays lit up with white lights...and...we sort of..." I trailed off as I struck a match and lit the candle again.

"Rekindled things." I finally said. Excited squeals erupted from back in the kitchen.

"Pay up, Chloe!" Ashleigh bounded over and squeezed my shoulders.

"You guys were taking bets on whether or not I would get back together with him and you didn't tell me?" I asked, feigning a wounded expression.

"Of course we wouldn't tell you! We didn't want to influence your decision!" Erica shook her head.

"But you hated him at the bar! Why would you want me to get back together with him?" I asked, not having to pretend I was shocked.