Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Thirty Two

"Yeah, I passed Hershey about an hour ago. I was so tempted to stop, believe me. This GPS is driving me up the walls." I groaned to Kelsey.

"You're the one that bought it." she teased me.

"Recalculating." it repeated.

"Shut up!" I whined at it. "I'm going to lose my mind if I have to listen to this thing talk." I whined to Kelsey.

"Are you driving and talking at the same time?" she asked randomly.

"Relax, I've got my earpiece on. Safe driver, thank you very much." I replied.

"Turn around and take exit 207 onto 208." it interrupted our conversation.

"I already TOOK the fucking exit! I'm already ON the fucking road you told me to take! Why the HELL are you telling me to turn around?!" I screamed at my GPS for the fifth time.

"Alright, I'm going to go. Call me if you need anything." she said.

"Yeah, the directions to the nearest psych ward." I snorted.

"Just use the GPS." she teased before hanging up.

"Recalculating," it said for what felt like the hundreth time since I started driving six hours ago. I was halfway to West Chester, but I was tempted to turn around and go back to the city if I heard the piece of shit navigator recalculate my route one more time.

"Turn right in 50 feet." it's annoying voice spoke up.

"WHERE am I supposed to turn? I'm on a highway! There is no 'turn'!" I yelled.

"Turn right now." it said not even a second after it told me to turn right in 50 feet.

"THERE'S NO RIGHT TURN!" I screamed.

"Recalculating."

I pulled the car over to the side of the road and screamed, pounding on the horn and swearing as loud as I could. Very mature of me, but it was either this or end up driving off the road in rage.

"Recalculating."

"SCREW YOU!" I ripped the annoying piece of technology off of the place where it was stuck on the windsheild and threw it over my shoulder, feeling a lot calmer when I heard it hit the floor. Then I realized that I needed the annoying thing or else I would never make it to West Chester.

Groaning, I reached back and picked it up.

"I still hate you." I scowled at it and clicked it back into place.

"Recalculating." it said as soon as I turned it on.

"This is going to be a long drive." I shook my head and got back on the road.

**Bam**

"She was supposed to be here two hours ago. You think something happened?" Phil asked.

"BITE ME!" we heard a furious screaming coming from outside. Everyone ran to the front door in time to see Jess slamming something onto the driveway on her way to the back of a tiny black car.

"Oh my god!" April rushed past me and out the door.

"Jessica!" she squealed. Jess looked up and a smile worked its way onto her tired face. The rest of us followed April.

"What did this used to be?" Phil nudged a shattered piece of plastic and jumbled wires.

"That was my GPS, but the thing probably couldn't find it's way out of a paper bag. It wanted me to drive off the road at least 11 times on the way down here. I might as well use a map or something going back, because I know I'll get there faster if I don't have to hear 'recalculating' every 5 minutes." she ranted.

"Oh it's good to see you again. Come on in, you must be exhausted. We were just about to sit down to dinner." April wrapped her arm around Jess' shoulders and pulled her into the house. Jess simply shrugged a hello at the rest of us, not about to even attempt to pull away from April's grip.

"That sounds good, but I'm really tired." Jess bit back a yawn.

"Of course. Let me take you to the guest room." April showed her the way up the stairs and down the hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
i hate GPS's. i was going down to hershey with girl scouts a few years ago [we were seriously only girl scouts because of the trips. the summer before that we had gone to great wolf lodge up in niagara falls.] and every 10 minutes our GPS would say 'RECALCULATING'