Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Forty

Jess and Bam walked right toward a park, complete with a playground, a carousel, and a gazebo, with a band playing inside. The carousel played music box-like melodies, while the band drifted from oldies to slow songs.

"Wanna dance?" Bam stopped where he was on the sand.

"Do you?" she asked as the someone began playing the piano. The sky was now navy blue, and stars began to twinkle. The lake was black, aside from the faint lights of the few boats out on the water and the houses on the coastline.

"When I feel blue in the night,
And I want you to hold me tight
Whenever I want you all I have to do is
Dream"
the female singer began as they sort of awkwardly began dancing with each other.

"You ever dance like this?" he asked.

"Not really, you?" she asked, feeling a little more comfortable as they swayed back and forth.

"Only a few times, weddings and stuff." he admitted.

"Well you better practice, I hear you're coming to Erica's wedding." she grinned.

"I never got an invite." he said.

"That's what I'm here for. Erica says you better show up or she's sending people to come get you." she tried to be serious, but the smile on her face gave her away.

"I thought they didn't like me." he said plainly.

"They hated your attitude when you first met, but they think we're perfect for each other." she smirked.

"So is that an insult or a compliment?" he shot back.

"Hmm, I'm not really sure." she laughed. They were quiet for a few moments, listening to the singer and the piano and the carousel music. She felt soothed, tired, and content all at the same time as she rested her head against his chest.

"I'm really glad you came down to visit, Jess." Bam murmured against her hair.

"I'm glad I decided to. I was going to help out at work but I think Kelsey would've shot me." she admitted.

"I think Ape would've sent for you." he chuckled.

"I wouldn't argue with that." she smiled and pulled away, looking up into his eyes.

"Look, I don't know about timing and all that shit, but I think I'm falling for you, Jess." he explained in a rush. "Actually, I never stopped falling, ever since senior year. And I know how stupid that sounds. But I think I love you." he said just as fast as the first sentence.

Jess simply smiled and pulled his head down to hers to kiss him. He could taste the red wine on her lips, mixed with cherry lip gloss and the faintest hint of perfume. To him, this flavor was more intoxicating than every alcoholic substance in his own house. His hands drifted down the smooth sheathlike dress to rest on her hips while the singer continued to perform for the small crowd on the grass and a few couples on the beach.

"I can make you mine
Taste your lips of wine"