Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Forty Seven

**Jess**

I would've stopped to see my aunt, but her car wasn't in her driveway.

I'll call her when I get back to the city. I thought to myself. My next mission was to find a gas station and snacks to eat on my way home. I didn't care how much it was, I just needed enough to get me into the city.

As I leaned against the car while my tank was filling, I kept getting the feeling that I was being watched. I looked around but I didn't see anyone staring at me, except for a little girl who was staring at me from the backseat of a car. She waved at me excitedly and I gave her a small wave before she turned toward the other window. But even after she turned away, I still felt like I was being watched.

Shaking the feeling off as best I could, I put the pump back and got back in my car, hoping to get out of this town as fast as I could. I didn't even go inside for food. The feeling that I was being watched was that strong.

*

Meanwhile, in a parking spot of the gas station, a man was on his cell phone.

"She's got New York plates." he observed.

"'Living in Canada' my ass. Are you positive it's her?" the person on the other end demanded.

"I followed her right from his house! The car has New York plates! How can it not be her?" he defended himself. "She's leaving! Am I supposed to follow her?" he asked suddenly.

"What do you think? YES, you're supposed to follow her!" the person shouted.

"Will you relax? I don't have to do this for you." he growled.

"It's what family does. Call me when you get to the New York border." the person said before slamming down the phone. The man looked back at the car as it pulled out of the station. He let one car go ahead of him before he pulled out and almost cut another car off.

He almost felt like turning around and going back home to sleep for a few more hours, but he knew he would never hear the end of it.

'It's what family does'. Bullshit. Family wouldn't be following some poor girl into New York to find out where she lived. He felt that if he had any self respect, he would just drive for a few hours and say she lost him in a traffic jam...

but he couldn't resist the money.
♠ ♠ ♠
hmm...