Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Forty Eight

**Bam**

We were all sitting around the kitchen complaining that there was nothing to eat when Jess called.

"Hey Bam! Is your woman calling?" Dico laughed. I flipped him off and put the phone on speaker.

"GET OFF MY FUCKING ASS! I SWEAR, YOU CRAWL UP MY BUMPER ONE MORE TIME AND IT'S GOING THROUGH YOUR WINDSHIELD!" she was screaming.

"Fuck, Jess. And I thought Bam had road rage!" Dico's jaw dropped open.

"This asshole behind me won't stop tailgating! I've switched lanes six times and he keeps following me!" she exclaimed. I watched everyone stop laughing as they looked down at the phone in concern.

"Switch lanes again." I suggested. We faintly heard the clicking of her blinker as she switched lanes.

"And 3...2...he switched with me. Again." she whined.

"How many other cars are on the road?" Dunn asked.

"Just me and that car. At first I thought he just wanted to pass me so I changed lanes to let him by, but he changed lanes. If I speed up, he speeds up. If I change lanes, he changes lanes." she explained.

"You think he's following you?" I asked.

"If he is, I'm more pissed than scared." she huffed. "Should I pull over and ask him what the hell is wrong with him?" she asked.

"NO. Just keep driving. Don't stop, don't flip him off. Just drive." I commanded.

"Sheesh, a simple no would've worked just fine, Bam." she scoffed. I picked up the phone and took it off of speaker before walking up the stairs out of the pirate bar.

"I know, but I know you and how you fight." I couldn't help smiling.

"Fine," she sighed. "So what should I do?"

"How close are you to the city?" I asked.

"I'm close to Edison, New York. Maybe an hour depending on traffic." I heard papers rustling.

"Can you try to lose him in traffic once you hit the city?" I asked.

"I'll try. Hell, it should be easy. Between the million cabs and 43 thousand other cars with New York plates, it shouldn't be a problem." she said, but she still sounded unsure.

"Alright. Call me when you get to the apartment, okay?" I asked.

"Aw! Bam's bein' all romantic. Call me when you get there sweetie-pie!" Novak mimicked me.

"Tell Novak I said to go fuck himself." she laughed.

"Jess says to go fuck yourself!" I yelled over my shoulder.

"I wish I could tell that to this guy." she said absentmindedly.

"Just...don't worry about him. You'll lose him when you get to the city." I said confidently.

"If you're sure." she teased.

"Damn right I'm sure." I smiled.

"I'll call you soon." she promised.

"Bye." we hung up. I actually wanted to say 'I love you' to her...but I didn't know if it was too early. Sure, we said it this morning, but it was just 'love you'. There was nothing serious behind it.

Wait, when did I become a serious romance expert? I shook the feeling off and went back down to the pirate bar, where I heard a box being ripped open.

"How the hell do you work the oven?!" Novak was yelling.

*

Jess finally managed to lose the asshole driver in a traffic jam heading into the Lincoln Tunnel.

Or so she thought.

Because, little did she know, two Pennsylvania drivers were behind her, talking on their cell phones to each other.

"Way to be inconspicuous, trying to cram yourself up her exhaust pipe like that. If she wasn't suspicious before, she probably is now!" the second driver yelled into the phone.

"You said follow her! I followed her!" the first man griped.

"Yes, I said to follow her, not change lanes whenever she does, tailgate her, and chase her all over the road!" the second man hissed.

"I'm sorry I don't make stalking people my number one priority! Do you need me anymore or can I go home?" the first man asked.

"If you want to get paid, you'll follow her to her apartment and wait until she leaves again." the second man instructed.

"Where the hell are you going to be? Can't you do it?" the first man whined.

"Do I have to do everything for you? Christ." he second man swore.

"Why is she so important to you?" the first man asked.

"Because she put me in jail for almost 8 years. Payback is a bitch." the second man chuckled darkly to himself, not knowing that the first man heard every word.

"Now you follow her to her apartment and wait until you're sure she's gone. Call me when she leaves." the second man instructed.

"How will you know which apartment she lives in?" the first man asked.

"You leave that to me." the second man slammed the phone shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
uh oh!