Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Fifty Nine

Bam opened his eyes and looked down to see what was keeping him so warm. Jess was curled up right next to him, her dark hair falling down over her eyes. He glanced at the clock on the cable box and saw that it was 10:13. From what he could see out the window, a heavy rain was falling, with the occasional rumble of thunder. Everything that he had wanted to do today was now ruined.

Sighing, he unwound his arms from around Jess and pushed himself up onto his knees, where he managed to climb over her legs and stand up straight. He cracked his back as he walked over to where his bag was thrown by the door. First thing first, he needed to shower.

The hallway bathroom had a shower that he decided to use, not wanting to invade Jess' privacy. He remembered to bring his own shampoo so he didn't have to use any strawberry or vanilla or flower scented shampoo and conditioner that would make him smell like a girl.

Jess woke up to the muted sound of the shower running in the hall bathroom. She stretched out on the couch and pulled her hair out of her ponytail as she checked the time. 10:27

For just a few hours, she had felt comforted while she slept in Bam's arms. He was warm, and he made her feel safe, even if she wasn't awake to actually feel it. As long as he was there, she was safe.

Stretching even more as she got up, she picked up her bag from the night before, sitting next to the door with those silver heels that would eventually be thrown out.

She had at least six new voicemails and 15 texts, from aunt Kelly, Kelsey, Chloe, Erica, and everyone else she knew at the club. And from April.

One by one, she read the messages and listened to the frantic voicemails left by everyone who had heard the news of what had happened last night. She knew that Bam had to have called them, how else would they have known?

She had to call aunt Kelly first.

“Jessica? Is that you?” her aunt’s scratchy voice exclaimed over the line.

“I’m so sorry. I was going to call last night but-” Jess began.

“I don’t care what time you call, I just wanted to know you were all right! When Bam called this morning I was ready to come up there and cheerfully murder that...that monster! Are you sure you’re alright, sweetheart?” she interrupted.

“I’m fine. Just some cuts on my legs and feet. I put him through the glass coffee table in my living room.” Jess explained.

You put him through the coffee table?” her aunt asked in amazement.

“Last night I realized that I’ve run from Chase my entire life. Not anymore. I’m fighting back. It’s time I became his worst nightmare.” Jess scowled in determination.

“Honey, I think April and I have that covered. When April called me this morning she said...oh, what was it? Oh! She said ‘I’ll be at every parole hearing, every probation hearing, every hearing he ever has, he’s gonna see me. I’m gonna be his worst nightmare’, and I believe it.” aunt Kelly snorted.

“No. I’ll be at every hearing. He’ll see me. Jess said firmly. “I’m gonna be his worst nightmare.” Her aunt, knowing she wouldn’t give up, changed the subject.

“So where’s Bam, then?” she asked.

“Showering. I think we’re just gonna hang around the apartment today since it’s raining here. We might go out later tonight for dinner or something. Then tomorrow I’m going to the hotel with the girls for a spa day. I think Bam’s coming back to Pennsylvania tomorrow. One of the text messages Erica sent me was to extend an invitation to three of Bam’s friends or family members. I guess three other guests said they couldn’t make it? I just hope that whoever he brings doesn’t pull any Jackass shit.” Jess sighed.

They talked for a few more minutes before Jess ended the conversation to call everyone else. Each call went the same: exclamations of Jess’s safety, threats on Chase’s life, and last minute plans for the wedding. Jess was thankful when she finally hung up with Erica. She stood and walked over to her DVD stand to pick out a movie to watch. She finally settled on a VHS instead: Anastasia.

Bam walked out of the bathroom, fully dressed, as the opening credits rolled.

“I say we just spend the day here and go out for dinner. It’s so crappy out.” Jess said as he dropped down onto the couch next to her, allowing her to lean against him and rest her head on his shoulder.

“Definitely.” Bam agreed. He wanted to tell her everything he had planned, but it was useless now. But even as they watched the movie, one thought wouldn’t leave his head.

“The results came back clean” the doctor had told Jess last night. What were they the results of? He had to know. He paused the movie and asked her.

“Oh...” Jess looked down at the floor when he asked. “They...they had to run a rape kit.” she said quietly. It took all of Bam’s self control not to fly up off the couch as his hatred for Chase flared up once more.

“Why?” he struggled to keep his voice calm.

“It’s procedure. I’ve watched enough Law and Order Special Victims Unit to know that.” Jess explained, watching him try to control his temper. She left it at that, and unpaused the movie, leaving him to take deep breaths.

“I’ll be right back.” he got up off the couch and walked down the hallway. From where she sat, she could see the bathroom light turn on. Sighing, she paused the movie again and followed him.

His eyes were closed as he stood in front of the bathroom mirror.

“Bam.” she leaned back on the doorway, jumping slightly when he locked his hands into fists and slammed them down on the bathroom counter.

“I could kill him.” he growled.

“You and everyone else I know.” Jess replied.

“It’s not funny, Jess! You don’t know what could’ve happened!” he turned on her.

“You think I’m laughing about it? You think I don’t know how much worse I could be right now?” she held out her hands to prove her point. “I know how close I was to being raped.” she spat the word like it was a piece of bad candy in her mouth. “I knew the second he told me that you would never want anything to do with me when he was done. So don’t stand there and tell me that I don’t know what could’ve happened!” she couldn’t help but yell back. Then she watched as the color drained from Bam’s face.

“He...he said what?” he whispered.

“He told me that you wouldn’t want anything to do with me when he was done, before he tried to drag me down the hall to my room.” Jess braced herself against the doorway to remain standing as he turned around to look at her.

Her eyes were wide, flashing with a mixture of fear and anger, and her mouth was set in a thin line as she stared at him silently. He took a step closer to her.

“Why...why didn’t you tell me?” he asked, his anger gone once more.

“When did I have the time?” she asked, sounding tired and defeated. He closed the space between them and wrapped his arms around her.

“I’m sorry.” he whispered. She shook her head against his shoulder and sighed. “Me too.”