Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Sixty Five

Jess had spent the rest of the morning getting ready to meet with someone from the police department, to hopefully put Chase away and get a restraining order. At almost two exactly, she walked into the New York City Police Department in the Theater District.

“Are you Jessica Walker?” a redheaded woman at the front desk asked.

“Yes.” she nodded.

“Alright, come with me and I’ll get you set up with Officer Shepherd.” she stood up and led Jess down a hallway. She stopped close to the end of the hall and knocked on one of the doors.

“Ms. Walker is here.” she opened the door and stuck her head inside.

“Ah! Thanks, Jennifer.” a gruff, yet friendly voice replied to her. Jennifer opened the door further and held it open for Jess.

“Hello, Ms. Walker.” he stood up with a smile and held out his hand.

“Please, call me Jessica.” she shook his hand and sat down in the chair on the other side of his desk.

After a lengthy discussion about exactly what Jess wanted...a restraining order, to start, she began to tell the entire story of what had happened, pausing in some places to compose herself. She told him everything she could remember, making sure to include everything Chase had said and done to her.

It was then that she began to regret lying to Bam about what she was going to be doing.

But when she had called Kelsey after Bam left, she forgot to tell Kelsey that Bam wasn’t supposed to know anything about this...

“On the road again?” Kelsey’s voice crackled over Bam’s phone on speaker.

“Almost back in West Chester.” Bam agreed. “How’s the last dress fitting going?” he asked.

There was a pause on the other end. “...Dress fitting?” she asked.

“Yeah, Jess said she had to get a final dress fitting and then you girls were all going out to lunch.” he explained.

“Um...I’m about to go over to Erica’s...and I have all of the dresses right here.” Kelsey said after another pause, and Bam heard rustling. “Chloe’s...mine...Ashleigh’s...yeah, Jess’ dress is right here.” she said in confusion.

“I swear she said something about a dress fitting, though.” he argued.

“No, the only thing she was doing before lunch was...oh.” she stopped abruptly.

“What?” he asked anxiously.

“She didn’t tell you?” she asked.

“Tell me what?” he asked.

“Bam, it’s not my news to tell.” she sighed.

“What is it? Please, Kelsey?” he begged.

“Alright...Jess...isn’t at a dress fitting.” she finally said.

“I know that now. So where is she?” he asked.

“Meeting with a police officer...to get a restraining order against Chase.” she finally said. “She didn’t tell you because she didn’t want you to have to hear everything. She said you almost lost it when you heard about them running a rape kit, and didn’t want you to have to hear anything else.” she explained in a rush.

He was silent.

“Please don’t be mad at her.” she said quietly.

“What?” he couldn’t help but exclaim.

“Look, I know you’re hurt that she lied to you, but I can imagine how she feels. Do you remember back in high school, after the shooting, when she told you guys that she didn’t want any of you at the court hearing?” she asked.

“Yeah, why?” he replied, remembering how shocked he was when Jess told them all that only Kelsey was going.

“I know that half of it’s an issue with pride. Most of the time doesn’t like feeling or looking weak or breaking down, especially in front of you, and I know that for a fact. The other part is when you get angry...I won’t lie, when you get angry, you get scary. She was already dreading having to retell the story to the police officer, Bam, having to re-live it so soon after it happened. And she’s probably terrified at what you would do if you found out what she was doing...which you do, now.” she explained.

Bam was silent as he remembered what Jess had looked like after she admitted what the test results were for. Scared, exhausted, small...broken.

“Yeah...” he finally sighed.

“She’ll tell you when she’s ready, Bam. You know that. But when she does, please...just listen.” Kelsey said.

“Okay.” he said, finally defeated. Kelsey was right, like she always was when it came to Jess.