Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Sixty Seven

At long last, it was time for the girls to return to their apartments for their clothes and everything they would need for tomorrow.

“I can’t wait for this spa trip.” Jess sighed as she hauled her small suitcase onto her bed.

“I know, I need it.” Kelsey yawned and dropped down beside the suitcase, lounging across Jess’ bed. “You think she’s nervous?” she asked after a few minutes.

Jess paused while folding a pair of jeans. “Who, Erica?” she asked.

“No, Chloe.” Kelsey rolled her eyes. “Of course I’m talking about Erica.”

“No, I think she’s excited. She and Aaron have been planning this for awhile and now it’s finally happening. But I guess you could be right, too. Now that there’s nothing left for her to do or plan, she’s got a lot of free time to worry about things that could go wrong.” Jess shrugged.

“I couldn’t imagine planning a wedding.” Kelsey sighed. “Food, people, music, dresses, parties...money...it sounds like a lot.”

“But it’s so worth it.” Jess smiled.

“Coming from the girl who planned her wedding when she was six?” Kelsey grinned at the memories of her and Jess flipping through bridal magazine after bridal magazine in Kelsey’s basement, circling their favorite dresses and table settings.

“Right down to the season.” Jess smiled back.

“And saying that all you needed was the right boy to complete the entire thing.” Kelsey added. Jess simply continued smiling. “Do you think you’ve found him?” she asked when Jess didn’t reply.

“I honestly don’t know, Kelsey.” she sighed in response. The girls fell into silence after that.

“Do you think those magazines are still in my basement?” Kelsey asked after flipping through a random magazine on Jess’ night stand.

“Maybe after the wedding we should take a road trip back to your house and find out.” Jess grinned.

“The only thing I can remember is circling all of the dresses with the huge skirts and puffy sleeves and long trains.” Kelsey laughed.

“And you always wanted a summer wedding, on the beach, right at the edge of the water. And you looked so mad when I told you it would be impossible to wear those huge dresses with all that sand, you looked right at me and said ‘It’s my wedding, I can do what I want.’” she laughed.

“I remember that! And you wanting a fall wedding, right in the middle of October when the leaves started changing.” Kelsey giggled. “And you always circled the simpler dresses, ones with a lot of lace.” she looked up at the ceiling. “I never understood why. You were always so...out there with your ideas, wanting to wear sneakers with your Easter dresses, being a mummy for Halloween while every other girl on the block was a princess or a fairy. Every time I showed you a fancy wedding dress with ruffles or beading or fancy designs you always wrinkled your nose and circled a simple dress. Why?” she asked.

“Because I always wanted a dress like my mom’s. Her dress went straight to the floor, with just a small train, and it had lace all over it. I don’t remember much from the wedding, since I was only five, but she looked so beautiful in the pictures, and people always said I looked just like her, so I’ve always wanted to get married in a dress like hers.” Jess admitted.

“What if you got married in her exact dress?” Kelsey asked.

“I’ve thought about that, but I have no idea where it is...if it’s still in the family...if she got rid of it after the wedding. It was probably given to one of her family members after she died.” Jess sighed in thought.

“You could always take a picture to a designer.” Kelsey suggested.

“I don’t know where the wedding album went, either.” Jess shrugged, cut off by her cell phone ringing.

“Where are you guys? We’re all at the hotel.” Chloe said when Jess answered.

“Oh shit!” Kelsey exclaimed as she looked at the digital clock on Jess’ VCR. It was now four. They were supposed to meet everyone twenty minutes ago, and their spa appointments were at four thirty

“Oh my God! I didn’t know it was that late!” Jess gasped as she began to run back and forth between her dresser, throwing in pajamas and anything she might need for the night.

“Hurry up and get here!” Jess could hear Erica in the background.

“We’re on our way!” Jess hung up and tossed the phone in her purse.

“Got everything? Dress, shoes...underwear?” Kelsey’s teasing voice echoed down the hall as she hurried into the living room to get her own stuff.

“Yes, yes...and very funny.” Jess zipped the suitcase and grabbed her dress and shoes off of the chair in front of her vanity and her jewelry from the bathroom counter.

“Let’s go!” Jess opened the door after putting her shoes on. The two hurried down the hallway to the elevators, and were lucky enough to catch a cab once they got outside.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I haven't mentioned the hotel in any previous chapter, so here's one I just found five minutes ago. And luckily for me, it's barely five minutes away from where the wedding is taking place :)

The Carlyle
Go to the photo gallery and look at the spa pictures. They're the last three in the gallery and they are BEAUTIFUL.