Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Seventy Seven

All eyes turned to the center of the room as Aaron led his new wife out onto the dance floor. Erica’s favorite country song, I Won’t Let Go by Rascal Flatts, began to play as she wrapped her arms around his neck and put her head on his shoulder.

Jess had been standing off to the side of the dance floor, a smile on her face as she watched one of her best friend’s first dance. She felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist from behind and someone rest their chin on her shoulder.

“No wonder you didn’t want me to see the dress yet. Have you ever considered modeling?” Bam’s voice was low in her ear.

“Shut up.” she chuckled softly.

“Kelsey told me you were starting to worry.” he continued, swaying softly from side to side to the song.

“Did she now?” she asked lightly.

“Said you were gonna kill me for being late and that you tried to call me. Fat Boy Phil ran the battery out on my cell phone calling your aunt, who kept getting lost.” he sighed.

“Yeah...my aunt was never good with directions.” she smiled.

“I missed you.” he squeezed her tighter. She turned her head and kissed his cheek, trying to wipe away the lipstick print she left on him.

“No, leave it!” Bam laughed and turned his head away from her. But when he turned back again, she kissed him on the lips this time.

“There. Now we’re both wearing lipstick.” she smirked. “And might I say that ruby red is definitely not your color. Not with your eyes.” she turned around in his arms so her back was to the dance floor as the song drew to a close.

“Ruby lips on a smile so sweet with a rude attitude that could knock me dead.” he quoted a song that she used to be obsessed with when she was younger.

“And to start off this party, we have a special request from the bride herself.” the deejay announced, handing the microphone off to Erica.

“Well it’s a good thing you’re already near the dance floor, Jess.” her volume increased on Jess’ name. Jess and Bam looked up to see her smiling. Jess’ eyes widened as Erica motioned her forward. “Bam too.” Erica added.

Jess remained frozen in her spot as Bam began to slide out onto the floor. It was only when her hand dropped from his that he turned around with a grin.

“Come on. I swear I’m not gonna do anything crazy.” he laughed. Jess looked to Erica for confirmation, relaxing only a little when Erica nodded and smiled. She took a deep breath and allowed herself to be led into the middle of the dance floor, feeling self-conscious the entire time, however.

“Relax, babe.” Bam leaned down to whisper in her ear as he wrapped his arms around her waist. A few seconds passed, and then a new song began to play.

You are not alone tonight
Imagine me there by your side
” the first words floated out over the speakers. Jess gasped before looking up at Bam, who was mouthing the words and smiling down at her. Her self-consciousness faded away as she looked up into his eyes and gave him a small smile.

“Was this what you wanted to talk to Erica about when we were in the elevator?” she asked him.

“I was surprised you would remember this song, actually.” Bam admitted with a gentle laugh.

“It’s still on my answering machine.” she stood on tiptoe for a second to whisper in his ear, before, like Erica had done with Aaron, she let her head fall on his shoulder, and listened to him sing with the song in a low murmur.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3