Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Eighty

When all of the traditional reception routines were over, Jess, still wearing the garter and carrying the bouquet, hurried over to where April, Phil, and her aunt were chatting with some of Aaron’s relatives.

“Look at you!” her aunt exclaimed when Jess stooped down to give her a hug.

“Aunt Kelly!” Kelsey’s voice suddenly chimed into the conversation. Jess looked up to see Kelsey running over with a smile on her face.

“Kelsey!” her aunt exclaimed and stood up. “My God, you’ve gotten so tall!” she wrapped her arms around the younger woman. April did the exact same thing once Kelsey was released.

“So I see you caught the bouquet...” April grinned over Kelsey’s shoulder.

“And Bam caught the garter.” aunt Kelly gave Jess a knowing smile.

“Only because Erica and Aaron probably planned it. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelsey here had anything to do with it.” Jess nudged Kelsey with her elbow.

“I’m shocked that you would accuse me of such a thing! It wasn’t just me! Chloe and Ashleigh were in on it too!” Kelsey laughed.

“I knew it! I knew you all had something to do with it!” Jess exclaimed.

“Oh please. You should’ve known.” Kelsey teased as Jess’ face went slightly red.

“Uh...hey look! A piano!” Jess suddenly changed the subject and left the bouquet lying on the table in front of April as she slipped through the crowds, heading for the black baby grand in the corner of the room.

“What has her all wound up?” April and Kelly asked simultaneously. Kelsey dropped down in the empty chair next to April with a sigh.

“She’s absolutely terrified to admit that she loves Bam. She hasn’t even told him that she loves him. As far as I know, he hasn’t told her, and I can guess that all of us setting them up to catch the bouquet and garter freaked her out, because of the whole thing about whoever catches them will be next to get married.” Kelsey shook her head. “She’s trying to hard to find reasons why they shouldn’t be together, why he deserves someone better than her. But she’s too afraid to push him away. She wants him to be the one to walk away so she can prove that she was right, that they’re all wrong for each other.”

“Why is she afraid to be in love with him?” April asked.

“When everyone started moving in senior year...Bam and Jess never officially ‘broke up’. Not hearing from him for so long, being confused about what to do with a relationship that stopped so abruptly...she convinced herself that it would be impossible to love anyone else...because they would do what Bam did: leave her. I think that’s the other reason she’s afraid to admit that she loves him: she’s afraid he’s going to leave her again.” Kelsey looked at her best friend sadly.

“What?” a slightly rough voice asked from behind them. They all turned to see Bam standing there, looking like he had been slapped. “How do you know all of this?” he asked.

“Because I’ve known her almost her entire life.” Kelsey gave him a sad smile. “And those walls she has up around other people are down when it’s just us two. She hasn’t told me any of this for a fact...but it’s not that hard to see, Bam. Look at her when she’s not out with any of us, when she’s staring off into space and won’t tell you what she’s thinking about. As my mom loved to say: ‘still waters run deep’. You need to show her that you’re not going anywhere anytime soon, that she doesn’t have to be afraid to love you like she used to. Prove to her that she can trust you, or those walls are always going to be up.” Kelsey gently tossed the bouquet his way and stood up to join the rest of the crowd on the dance floor.

*

Meanwhile, Jess pulled Erica and Aaron over to the piano, deciding to show off just because she could. She even had a microphone so she could dedicate a song to them.

“I know you’re our little country girl, and as you’ve said many times before, the first band you ever loved was Rascal Flatts.” she began with a smile. “And Aaron, I know you’ve listened to this song plenty of times. In the last year, both of you have talked about how you’re so lucky you’ve found each other. Erica even quoted this song when she was talking about you, Aaron. Because God truly did bless the road that led you to each other. Erica, we love you so much. And Aaron, welcome to our family.” Jess smiled at the both of them before she started to play.

Bam stood near Erica and Aaron, listening to the song Jess was playing, watching her delicate hands sweeping down the piano keys. He was also thinking about everything Kelsey told him. And even now, as he looked at Jess, he could see it. Even though she had a smile on her face when she looked up at him, he could see it in her eyes.

She looked back down as the song kicked up, and her hands moved faster across the keys. Erica and Aaron were watching, shocked at her talent, even though they had probably seen and heard her play more times than they could count. And just as softly as she had begun the song, she ended it with a soft flourish as the room broke into applause. Both Aaron and Erica bent to hug her before she stood up.

Bam waited until the deejay started playing again, drawing people back to the dance floor, before he took Jess by the elbow and led her back out onto the deck overlooking the water. There were no people out here now. Everyone was inside enjoying the music.

“What’s wrong?” Jess asked when Bam stopped at the railing and looked at the black water. He suddenly looked up at her.

“Are you afraid to tell me you love me?” he asked. The way she was standing, she was framed by the soft light shining through the windows of the boathouse.

“W-what?” she stammered, thankful for the darkness that she thought was covering up her blush. But she was wrong. In that soft light, he could see that her face had darkened significantly.

“Are you afraid to tell me you love me?” he asked again.

“Why would you think that?” she started backing away, towards the doors that led back into the ballroom. He followed her, standing in her way, then backed her up to the railing that he had been leaning on.

“Please. Just answer me.” he begged softly when she looked down. He was about to speak again when she did.

“Yes.” she admitted.

“Why?” he asked. She shook her head in response. “Jess, please. I need answers. Tell me why you’re afraid to love me.” he pleaded.

“Because, Bam, if I don’t say it, it’ll be easier to let you go!” she finally exclaimed as tears started falling from her eyes.

“Go?” he repeated. “Go back to Westchester?” he asked.

“No, Bam! ‘Go’ as in, leave me again like you did in high school! Go and leave me to pick up the pieces, go and leave me to try and move on! Go and forget about me!” she fought to push him away, but he held strong to the railing.

“How can you say that?” he asked. She looked away, over his shoulder and into the ballroom, where couples had filled the floor to dance to some overplayed love song.

“Jess,” he gently grabbed her chin to make her look at him. “Don’t you remember what I told you? I’m not leaving you without a fight. I’m not going to leave like I did in high school. I’m right here, dying to tell you that I love you, and I’d do anything to hear you say that you love me back.” he whispered.

“Y-you what?” she gasped.

“I love you, Jessica Lynn Walker. And I’m not leaving you anytime soon.” he whispered over her lips. “And I don’t care how long it takes for you to believe that. I’m not going anywhere.”

Before he could say another word, her lips crashed into his, her tears falling onto his cheeks. And against his lips, she whispered, “I love you, too, Brandon Cole Margera.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I've found my official writing song: 'God Bless the Broken Road - Piano Version by Tim Horn' Go look it up, because that's the song that Jess plays in this chapter.

This took me 15 minutes to write, which I'm proud of because I know I promised longer chapters. I hope the fact that I wrote it in such a short amount of time doesn't make it poorly written or anything.

Is anyone here on Spring Break? I finally am! :)
It's snowed here for the past two days.
The weather gods must really hate upstate NY...