Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

19 : Nonsense

The cool air twisted through the window next to the bed, falling over my face, picking up the tips of my dreadlocks. A smile spread over my face, the first real one in a long time. The doorbell played through the house. I could hear Mrs. Listing hurrying through the living room to get to it. A few muffled voices, and then she was calling for Mr. Listing.

I frowned, stepping down from the bed, the carpet plush against my bare feet. I crossed the room to the open door, peering out into the hallway. The sound of virtual guns blasting erupted from the game room down the hall. I tiptoed quietly over to the banister, sliding down slowly, gripping the rails.

Two uniformed police officers sat side-by-side on the light sky-blue couch as Mr. Listing stood in front of them, chatting quietly. Mrs. Listing appeared with a tea tray in her hands, handing down a cup each to the officers.

“Anything at all?” Mrs. Listing asked, setting the tray down on the side table as she and Mr. Listing settled into the opposite couch.

One officer shook his head, taking a quick gulp from his cup. The other made a so-so motion with his hands.

“Gordon's truck was found deserted about five miles from the highway going north. We had it towed and it's being inspected as we speak. As for Simone...” the officer trailed off, shaking his head.

Mrs. Listing sighed, shaking her head as she unfolded her blue-and-white napkin and delicately placed it on her lap.

“Well, what now?” Mr. Listing asked, looking to his wife.

“If it's not too much trouble, we'd like for Tom to stay here. If not, I'm sure we can find a replacement home until his mother is located.”

“Nonsense,” Mrs. Listing barked. “We'll have none of that. Tom knows he's welcome here for as long as he needs, and even longer.”

I looked up then and saw Georg, his head poking out of the door to the game room, motioning for me to come closer. I nodded and pulled away from the banister, pressing myself against the wall and inching down it. Georg reached out and pulled me into the game room and shut the door quietly.

Sarah was lounging on the couch, flipping through the list of On Demand movies. Georg went over to the mini fridge and pulled out two sodas, flipping off both caps. He handed one off to me and sat down on the floor, cross-legged. I sat across from him and took a sip of the drink. Root beer.

“Anything?” Georg asked, taking a swig from his own bottle.

I sighed, shaking my head. “Not really. They found Gordon's truck, but that was it.”

Georg raised his eyebrows. “And your mom?”

“Nothing,” I sighed, tracing the mouth of the bottle.

“I'm sure they'll find both of them,” Georg reassured me softly.

I shrugged both shoulders, staring at the floor.

“Your mom said I can keep staying here,” I said, breaking my silence.

Georg nodded.

“Of course she would,” Sarah said lazily, pulling her pink lollipop from her mouth. “You're like, my other brother.”

“And you're like, probably not the first person Tom picked to be his little sister,” Georg mocked in a girly voice.

Sarah stuck out her tongue and returned her attention to the Barbie movie playing across the large flat-screen TV. I laughed.

I could remember always, from ever since I knew Georg, being jealous of their family. I mean, they were, and are, perfect. Perfect parents with great jobs. Perfect... almost perfect... kids. Expensive house in a large development. Nice furniture. Large television. Lots of video games. The house was always clean. A ton of space. Not like my house.

I could remember being embarrassed when I first had invited Georg over. It was fourth grade. I met Georg in third. Anyway, I had felt embarrassed when he first came over and saw my house. It wasn't the best. One-story with only the necessary rooms, no spare guest rooms or bathrooms. Mostly all of our furniture was second-hand. It's not that I minded. Growing up with only a single parent, money was tight. Dad would always forget to send child support. At first, Mom worked at a pharmacy two hours away. Her job was to sit with the outside magazine and book racks to make sure no one shoplifted. It paid about three dollars an hour.

Then, she finally got a better job as a real estate woman and that's where she stayed ever since.

Gordon worked with his band at the local clubs, getting whatever the manager would pay. He met Mom at a bachelorette party. He was the local entertainment, and Mom was an almost-drunk woman who couldn't take her eyes off of him.
They fell in love, almost married a few times, but neither one of them wanted the commitment. And now... now this.

I sighed, returning from my flashbacks as Georg stood up, placing his soda back in the fridge.

“So,” he said, grinning at me, “Pacman?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really sorry for not updating sooner. I had to keep re-writting this chapter because I didn't like it. I'm going to start writing ahead again, so hopefully this won't happen again. :)

Comments please?