Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

22 : A Heart Part 1

I stared at it, it stared back. The face. The face in the mirror. It didn't look like mine. Strange that it was. Seemed aged. Different. I didn't feel any different. Was I? Was I different?

I shook my head to clear the swarm of angry thoughts, staring at the pale white of the counter. Suddenly I felt as if everything had gone into slow motion. My legs shook, as if they could no longer support my weight. My eyes felt heavy and tired. My head was pounding. The light-bulbs decorated around the mirror began to grow dim.

“Listen!”

The noise filled my ears, drowning them. The scream of a shrill voice.

“Listen!”

I gripped the pearl-white sink, clawing to keep myself from tipping to the floor.

“LISTEN!”

I opened my mouth to scream and stumbled backwards, crashing to the floor. Only air hissed from my throat as I thrashed around, trying to take a breath.

And then it was silent. Silent because I couldn't hear. I felt paralyzed, trapped, as the cold of the bathroom tiles stung my hands. I couldn't move. Couldn't hear. Couldn't breathe. Trapped.

“Listen!”

The voice shoved itself inside of my ears, stinging, clutching at me. It was dark then. Far away I saw a light burning. Flickering. Dancing. Twirling around. A fire.

“Tom, listen!” the voice pleaded. I knew the voice, but could not make familiar with it. “It's happened! It's happened!” the voice howled in an ecstatic manner. “No, I can't explain now, but listen. Don't struggle. Listen! He's going to think about it. No time to explain. A heart! He's obtained a heart! Almost. Almost obtained it. Going to think. I can't explain. It's too hectic. Can't explain. Explain later. A heart!”

The fire came closer and closer, burning my eyes. Burning... burning...

Image


“Tom?”

I felt the air hit my chest, filling my needy lungs. Sweat drew to me like a bear to honey. I pulled myself up slowly, gritting my teeth, pain rushing through my body, as I stood gripping the sink once again.

“Yeah?” My voice was hoarse as I responded.

“I heard a crash. What's going on?”

“Nothing. I tripped,” I lied, gaining my voice back as I gasped again.

“Are you alright? Open the door.”

“I'll be down for dinner in a sec!” I cried through the door, pretending I hadn't heard Mr. Listing's demand to open the bathroom door.

I switched on the faucet, the water inviting as I cupped some in my hands and thrust it all over my face. Panting, I switched off the faucet and shut my eyes, breathing in and out deeply, the cold water numbing my cheeks.

I glared at myself in the mirror, squinting to block out the lights. Mr. Listing pounded his fists on the door once again, shouting my name.

“Get a hold of yourself, Tom,” I whispered as the bathroom door flew open.

I spun around quickly, my legs shaking extremely so.

“Tom?” Mr. Listing squinted his eyes at me. “Are you alright? Tom? Tom...”

I couldn't hear anything after that.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter might be a bit confusing - Tom is in the Listings' bathroom, and faints.