Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

27 : Thief

“Better?” Mr. Listing asked as I took a seat at the wooden picnic table, smiling at me.

I forced a smile and nodded, staring up at the old tree in the Listings' back yard that shaded their outside eating area. Out of the corner of my eye, I cpuld see Mr. Listing and Georg eying each other, mouthing words to one another.

“I'm fine,” I snapped at them, turning so my back was facing them.

Sarah leaned over the table and gave me a peck on the cheek, and I smiled warmly at her.

“Don't talk to me in that tone of voice,” Mr. Listing said calmly.

“Well I wouldn't talk to you in that tone of voice if you wouldn't talk about me,” I snarled.

“Calm down guy, seriously. You've been acting weird all day,” said Georg.

“Have not.

“Have so.”

“Shut up!” I said, gritting my teeth. As if he had any idea.

Hey, both of you, knock it off, understand?”

Georg huffed as we both turned away, facing opposite directions.

“Here,” Mr. Listing said as he set a hamburger down on the table next to me. His voice hinted obvious agitation.

I squeezed ketchup onto my burger and slammed the top bun on it, standing up. “I think I'll eat over there,” I huffed, pointing.

I went over and plopped down on the other side of the porch, taking a large bite of my burger.

Image


The clouds began to move in and cover the sun, whipping cool air up and around me. Sarah skipped her way from the table to inside the house. Georg was muttering under his breath as he walked by me. Mr. Listing came up beside me, arms crossed over his chest, lips pressed together tight.

“Tom,” he said sternly, staring down at me. I turned my head away so I couldn't see him. “Look at me.” I didn't. “Tom.” I grunted as I turned my head towards him, my eyes narrowed. “I would like an apology. And an apology towards Georg, too.”

“Why?” I spat. “So you have more things to say about me when you figure I'm not looking? Huh? Is that it?”

Mr. Listing sighed and let his hands flop to his sides, putting them on his hips. He let out a half-laugh and shook his head from side to side. “It's not like that,” he said, serious now.

“Then tell me what it's like, hmm?” For that, I only got a pursed-lips response. “Exactly. Now leave me alone.”

The next thing I know, an orange is bouncing off my head.

“Georg!” Mr. Listing exclaimed as I turned around to glare at my so-called “friend.”

“Thief!” Georg shouted, growling down at me.

“What're you talking about?” I asked as Mr. Listing reached down for the orange. He eyed the two of us suspiciously.

Georg held out his iPod, the earbuds dangling between his fingers.

Oh, crap.
♠ ♠ ♠
Does everyone like the new page breaker I'm using instead of the diamonds? ^-^ I like it, although I wish I could center it. D:

I just thought I would let everyone know that if it looks like your profile hasn't had any recent activity, no comments or story updates or anything like that, I will not be letting you know that I updated.

And I'm not trying to beg for updates, but I have 53 subscribers, and 12 pages of comments, yet to me it feels like only 4 or 5, of the same people every week, comment. I don't go through 12 comments and who knows how many profiles to let people know I updated. D: Phantom reading isn't cool, guys.

So if you don't want to be notified I updated, let me know, okay. :|