Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

36 : David

I tossed over, feeling the heat press down on my chest. I woke up, sucking in the dry air. I pressed my cheek against the cold, tiled floor.

“You alright?” a raspy voice cracked. I turned onto my back, squinting into the dark. The lanterns flickering from the ceiling were no help at all.

“Carnie?” I whispered, pushing up onto my knees, “is that you?”

“No,” he whispered, “it's the Easter Bunny.”

I cracked a smile, licking my chapped lips. I stood up, my legs wobbling, as I brushed dirt from my baggy jeans.

I stepped forward, reaching out to grip the black bars containing the carnie. They were cold, my sweaty palms drying as I wrapped them around the metal.

“Who put you in here?” I whispered, looking around. It was hard to see anything in the dim lights.

“All in good time,” he whispered, not moving from his cross-legged position on the floor.

I dropped to my knees as he scooted closer to the bars. His hair was messy under his top hat, his eyes a fiery, fierce red that plowed through the shadows.

He reached up through the bars, wrapping his fist around my arm. He reached out his other hand, his fingers rough as he stroked my chin. Heat emanated through his skin onto mine. He set his jaw as he pulled away. Everything around me swirled.

“I didn't start that fire, Tom,” he whispered, tightening his grip on me.

I shut my eyes, trying to shake off the dizzy feeling.

“David did. David DiMarco.”

I felt the air rip out of my chest. I wrapped my hand around my throat, gasping. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't get in air. It felt as if a giant fan were sucking it away.

“He killed me, Tom. He killed me! I saw him first dump gasoline around the Ferris Wheel, saw him pull out the lighter. Want to know what I saw next? His gun. And then, I saw myself, bleeding on the ground. He buried me, and a few hours later, went back for seconds. He saved the girl, Sheila, sure, but everyone else was as good as gone.

"I liked her, but she saw nothing of quality in me. And then she blamed me. Blamed me for all that had been done. So, before I was pulled away, here, I carved into her, so she would never forget the pain I had felt. It wasn't out of love that I drew that heart. It was out of sadness, and confusion, and pain. I could not place a finger on her hatred for me.

"She is a wretched woman, thinking she knows all. Sure, some of the things she sees are real, but she feeds lies to those who are willing to hear them.”

My heart pounded in my chest, a cold sweat creeping up my arms. Carnie looked a me, a sad look crossing his face.

“I'm not sorry, Tom,” he whispered. “I'm not sorry for those I've killed, for what I've done.”

“K-killed?” I whispered, watching as his eyes faded from blood red to neon green.

He nodded his head once, releasing his grip on my arm. I heaved in breaths, the room seeming to grow darker.

“I need you to understand,” he whispered again. I shut my eyes, trying to force away the black dots in my vision. “I've done everything for a reason. I've done everything for you. Find the dog, Tom.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't updated in a while :3 Comments?