Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

47 : A Request

I took in a sharp breath and leaned back, panting, as I looking around. It was cooler in here. Harsh lights beamed down from the ceiling. Rows of seats rose from the floor to the ceiling, circling all the way around, filled with people clad in black, like shadows. A cage hung from the ceiling in the center of the room.

Positioned directly below the cage was a large podium. Behind that stood a heavily built man, large white wings spread out behind his back. Standing next to him were two identical women, one on each side, wearing white dresses that were stained red and horribly shredded. They both shared the same maniacal gleam in their eyes, shark-like teeth behind their wide smiles.

A couple feet in front of the podium stood the carnie, his arms bound in gray chains that dug into the floor. He caught my eye and smirked at me, nodding his head. I wanted to call out to him when a movement in the cage caught my eye. I looked up, using my hand to shield myself from the burning lights. That's when I saw him, in the cage, looking down at the carnie, a vicious snarl wrapped around his face. Gordon.

“I have called you all here,” bellowed the man from behind the podium, “because of a request. A request,” he paused, looking around at his audience, “for a ghost heart.”

Snarls sounded up from everyone and I tensed in my seat. The man behind the podium smirked, the corner of his lips turning up.

“You all sound like you disagree,” he said, a laugh flowing from his throat. The women on either side of him grinned. “Our good friend here, the Carnie, would like to obtain the dead heart of a Mr. Gordon Trümper.” More snarls. Another pause. “Because murder is the forté of my two sisters, I have decided the final verdict of this request is theirs.”

The women on either side of the man grinned at each other, watching as he stepped away from the podium, folding his hands together in front of himself. The two women stepped up, grinning.

“We love murder,” the woman on the left said, and a few laughs launched from the seats.

“But we know why you did this, Carnie,” said the one on the right, her lips twisting into a frown. “We know you want to help your little human friend.”

My pulse quickened as everyone in the entire room seemed to shift, every gaze now on me. I felt a lump rise in my throat, sweat coating my palms. The carnie smirked at me again from underneath his top hat.

“Besides,” said the one on the left, “if you take his heart, then we can't have it.” They both pretended to pout.

Everyone shifted again, turning back to look at the sisters.

“So the answer is no,” said the one on the right, her voice poisonous, “so you can go back to being the nobody loser you've always been, Carnie.”

I opened my mouth so I could defend him, so I could tell everyone how much of a loser he wasn't, but my tongue still felt swollen. My body felt as if it was inanimate, stuck to the seat. I began to wiggle around until, finally, I was able to stand up.

Everything went black after that.