Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

50 : First-Hand Experience

Bright lights. Painful, bright lights. Pain in my side. Cold. Creak. Grabbing. Pulling. Pushing. More pain. Collapsing.

Image

Everything was bleary as my eyes began to focus. The room was entirely white, and entirely huge. Mirrors ran all along the left wall, from one side of the room to the other, from the floor to the ceiling.

On the right side of the room was a small, rounded table. It had a white cloth covering it with blue towards the bottom. The table, and the chairs, were white. A porcelain tea set sat on top of the table. This is where I found myself sitting.

The lights dimmed a bit, and giggles echoed around the room. I turned and saw the two identical women from before, during the trial. They were standing in front of the mirrors, playing with their long black hair.

“I hope my sisters didn't wake you.”

I flinched at the voice as Thanatos came into view. The girls turned back to stare at him in disgust.

“No,” I said, my voice hoarse. The two girls turned back to the mirror. Thanatos picked up one of the tea cups, pouring out the steaming liquid. He placed the cup in front of me and took a seat.

“Drink up,” he said.

My hands shook as I brought the cup to my lips and took a small sip, the tea burning my tongue as it went down. I shivered.

Setting the cup back down on its plate, I glanced around the room. It was empty of everything except the mirrors and the table.

“How does your side feel?”

“What? Oh.” I put my hand to my side instinctively. It ached dully now. “Better,” I muttered.

“That's good. It might hurt when you go back, you know, to the real world. You must understand though, that because of your friend Carnie, we had to initiate some... precautions. So, when he drags you in here, there might be a casualty or two.”

His pinky finger stuck out as he took a large sip from his own cup. He set his cup back down and stared at me, eyebrow arched. His gaze felt like daggers piercing into me. I opened my mouth to talk, but hesitated. What was I supposed to say? Was I supposed to address him with some certain title, seeing as he's a God and such? I felt like passing out again.

“Do you think I'm stupid?”

I flinched again. “N-no,” I stuttered, taken by surprise.

“Good, because I'm not.” He paused. “It took me a bit, you know, to figure out what that little friend of yours was up to. And then, when I figured it out-”

“You mean when I figured it out,” the sister on the right snarled, turning back to glare at Thanatos.

“-I instantly understood.”

“Why is it against the, uh, rules, for Carnie to help me understand the ghost heart?”

My heart did a flip as Thanatos turned his head to stare at me. Both sisters turned, their eyes like hawks.

“Well, now, you must understand that not even all the residents of Fallen Shadows understands the ghost heart. If everyone knew about it, knew about its powers, think of the anarchy, the destruction!” Thanatos slammed his fist down on the table and I jumped, the tea set rattling. “It's best left alone.”

“But won't they know now? Because of the trial?”

“Why can't you just mind your own business?!”

I tipped over out of the chair and slammed to the floor, a pain shooting through my side, leg, and back, all at the same time. One of the sisters loomed over me, her black hair shadowing most of her face. Thanatos peered over the table at me.

“You and that damned carnie had to go poking your nose where it didn't belong! Riots! They held riots in protest! Why, why hadn't we ever mentioned the ghost hearts before? Would the carnie actually get one? If he got one, would everyone else get one? It was utter chaos!” Her voice was like thunder, booming, echoing throughout the room. My head began to ache. I pressed my hand to my side and whimpered. “But now! Now, you're here.” She smiled down at me, deadly. “You want to know so much about the ghost heart? Fine, I'll give you a first-hand experience. In fact, I'll rip that heart out of you right now!”

Everywhere hurt. I could feel the air being sucked out of me. I was paralyzed. My head was swimming. There would be light, and then there wouldn't be. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't...