Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

54 : Worthy

Everything was bleary as my eyes began to focus. The room was entirely white, and entirely huge. Mirrors ran all along the left wall, from one side of the room to the other, from the floor to the ceiling.

On the right side of the room was a small, rounded table. It had a white cloth covering it with blue towards the bottom. The table, and the chairs, were white. A porcelain tea set sat on top of the table. This is where I found myself sitting.

A painful feeling ripped through my side. A painful feeling... my side...

“Shit!” I hissed as I jumped from the chair, sending it over backwards.

“Don’t be alarmed.”

I jumped again at the voice, turning around. Thanatos’s reflection smiled back at me from one of the large mirrors. Shaking, I took a step back, knocking into the table. Thanatos turned around, placing his hands behind his back.

“You have nothing to fear. My sisters are not here. It is just you and I.”

“Why did you bring me back here?”

“Just to talk.”

“Then talk.”

“Then sit, and I will.”

“No.”

His eyes narrowed at me. “Sit.

Keeping an eye on him as he moved around the room to get to the other side of the table, I slowly picked up my chair and eased down in it. He poured tea into two identical cups and placed one in front of me on a saucer before sitting down himself.

“Now talk.”

Leaning forward, Thanatos put his elbows on either side of his cup, folding his hands together and leaning forward. “Listen Tom,” he began, “what happened the other night was a bit uncalled for-”

“You think?”

“-but you must understand something. Ever since that trial, it’s been chaos. Every single spirit from Fallen Shadows has demanded a ghost heart. My power is to give it to those who are worthy.”

“So Carnie isn’t worthy?”

“No, he’s done nothing to prove he deserves one. In life or death.”

“So Carnie isn’t worthy.”

“Do you think Bill is?”

I choked on my tea as it spilled down my throat, coughing. “W-what?”

“I asked if you think Bill is.”

“Is what?”

“Worthy of a ghost heart.”

I felt my mouth open and close. “I don’t...” I said, meekly. “I don’t get what you want from me.” I crossed my hands over my chest then.

“What is it a Phantomrider needs to become a Humanoid?”

“A ghost heart?”

“And did you not tell Bill the other night you’d sacrifice your own heart for him to gain one?”

I pushed the chair back, stepping away from the table. This wasn’t happening, this wasn’t happening...

“Except I don’t need yours.”

I stopped. “W-what?”

“Your heart. I don’t need it. I’ve already got one. One Mr. Gordon Trümper’s, if I am correct. And I am correct.” He winked at me.

“I don’t get it,” I said, my entire body trembling.

“Let me put it like this,” Thanatos said, sighing. “Carnie took that heart to use it for his own selfish purposes, even if it did benefit helping you. When he was denied the ghost heart, the human heart he wanted to use came in to my possession. As my sisters normally take care of such sort of things, I thought of turning the heart over to them. However, I feel they will be perfectly fine if they go without it.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You will.”

A sharp pain tore through my side, sending me crashing to my knees. I clutched my side, feeling the blood pound in my head. Thanatos was in front of me suddenly, kneeling down. He tightly grabbed my chin, pulling my head up to stare into my eyes. “Tomorrow night, go to Bill’s grave. Dig him out. Take only those you trust with such a secret. I can help you no more.”

I took a deep breath as the darkness folded around me.