Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

6 : Wall Part 2

He crossed his arms over his chest, letting more tears slide down his cheeks. I was a little frightened. He sniffled, and I closed my eyes for a few seconds, letting them open again.

“Why don't you just go now?” I whispered, and he looked up at me through his bangs. I watched him intently.

“You really don't know me?” he whispered, mortified. I shrugged one shoulder, and he squeezed his eyes shut. He looked up at me again after a minute. “Where's Mom?”

I felt a tad bit of anger boiling inside me. “She's not your mom,” I spat, venom rushing inside me.

“Fine,” he snapped. “I'll find her myself.” He started for the door, dragging it open and vanishing into the hall. With the shake of my head, I stood and followed.

Mom and Gordon were in the kitchen playing cards at the table, Gordon caressing Mom's hand. She giggled as he intertwined their fingers. Bill stood by Mom's side and I ducked next to the wall, peering around it to see. Bill tapped her on the shoulder, crossed his arms, and began to tap his foot. He looked back at me, glaring, then turned back to Mom. Exasperated, he tapped her on the shoulder again. Mom's head swung towards Bill, and she shivered lightly.

“What's the matter, Simone?” Gordon asked as he eyed the cards in his hands.

“I don't know … I just felt a sudden chill on my shoulder.”

Bill looked angry, and stared up at me, then back down at Mom. “Mom,” he growled. Her expression was blank as she turned back to her cards. “Mom!” Bill cried, panic filling his voice.

But she didn't look at him. And then he disappeared. Suddenly, Mom's favorite pink dish went smashing to the ground. I tossed myself against the wall as I heard Mom cry out, a large sob in her throat. I backed away and dashed into my bedroom, closing the door. Beads of sweat began to form on my forehead. I went over to my bed and crawled under the covers, switching out the bedside light. None of this was happening. It's all just a terrible nightmare that I need to wake from. My entire body was shaking now as I heard Mom's sobs drift underneath my door from the kitchen. I felt the blood pumping in my ears, my entire body trembling. That dish had been a gift from Dad before Bill … I felt myself choke back on a lump forming in my throat. And suddenly, I hated him. Whatever he was. Whoever he was. I hated him. I felt red-hot anger boiling up inside of me now as Mom's face flashed back in my mind again, the image replaying over and over again ...

Image


My foot was bleeding. I had cut it on something as I ran. Darkness fled around me like a tunnel, making my only source of light at the end fade and twist and fall away from me. I lurched forward, suddenly, into the brightness.

Blood was caked on my foot. I twisted in pain as I gasped for breath, watching the hole behind me fill up. I looked around. The walls were painted white and the entire room was bright, making my eyes sting from the sudden departure of darkness. The carpet was white, as well as the ceiling, and my red blood stained it slowly. I looked up. Rows of wooden chairs were lined up throughout the entire room. Many men and women sat dressed in black in the chairs. I used a chair to stand myself up and I peered at all the faces looking forward. They were all pale, their hands in their laps, their faces monotone. I hopped on my good foot forward. There was a platform with a coffin at the front of the room, and a man stood before it. I hobbled up next to him, gasping for breath. I tapped him on the shoulder, but he refused to turn and look at me. I could hear sobs, and from the sound of it, it was Mom crying. I closed my eyes and groaned. Please not another Bill dream. I tapped the man on the shoulder again, looking around for an exit. There was none. And suddenly, the man turned and walked back towards the men and women, sitting in one of the chairs. There was only one empty chair left, and I had a feeling it wasn't mine. I slowly turned and peered into the open coffin, stumbling back as I saw … me! I flopped back in front of the empty chair and peered up at the smiling pale face looking down at me, his flat hair falling over his cheeks as he gave me a little wave. I opened my mouth and screamed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm ... not sure about this one, really. Comments please?

If you got confused, Tomi saw himself in the coffin. ;)