Status: Each member has a week to update, so the updates should be in that barrier - steff.

We Set the Fire Around Your Lies

Because You're Always Keeping Score

Jensen held the end of his pen between his lips as he sat outside on the wall in front of the school. The story in front of him was kind of crap, but none of the students cared anyways. With a sigh, he stuffed the paper back into his bag. He’d let the guy, he didn’t remember his name, know he was on the paper later today.

Hopping down from the wall, he slung his bag over his shoulder. He had class in ten minutes and didn’t intend to be late. As he walked to his locker, he kept his head down slightly. It was a habit he’d come into after enduring the first hit from his mother. Head down meant secrets kept.

“Watch it, paper boy.” Jensen rolled his eyes as he rubbed his shoulder. He’d bumped into Noah, of course.

“Forgive me.” He didn’t care if the guy did or not.

“Make me.” Jensen sighed as he went to walk past him. He and Noah never got along. Noah was popular and he was the lowly paperboy, as he’d been so aptly named.

“Get me information and I’ll leave you alone.” He paused in his step, but didn’t turn to face him.

“I’m listening.”

“Tell me everything you can ‘bout that kid, Albany or something like that. Some sort of city name.” Jensen stuffed his hands into his pockets and spun around to face him, a hard expression on his face.

“Why?” He watched as Noah shrugged. With a sigh, he shook his head and started to turn back towards the direction of the lockers. There wasn’t much longer until graduation. He could handle Noah until then. If getting dirt on a guy was what it took, he wasn’t up for it.

“Then I’ll tell everyone your secret, paper boy.” Jensen froze. He wouldn’t. Letting out a breath that he hadn’t realized he’d held, he slowly turned back.

“You wouldn’t.” It was only by mistake that he knew. Fear twisted in his gut as he watched him smirk.

“I would and I will, unless,” he held up a finger, “you get me that information.”

Jensen brought a hand through his hair. He could offer to get the information, it didn’t mean he had to let him in on what he found.

“This might be a year long project…”

“Better not be.” He watched as Noah walked off before turning and going to his locker. Once he got there he leaned his head against the metal. He was so tired. The past night had been spent on suicide watch, again, homework and the paper. He’d barely gotten any sleep. Now Noah wanted him on spy duty for his own sick purposes he was sure. He had a feeling he’d been talking about Phoenix. It was the only kid he knew in the school with a city name. They never talked, but their lockers were next to each other

As someone opened the locker next to him, he jumped slightly. His eyes widened a little at Phoenix. His face….it looked like someone had used him as a punching bag.

“Your face…” It was the first thing out of his mouth.

“My face…what about it?” Jensen swallowed, it wasn’t his place, but if someone was hurting the guy.

“What happened?”

“Met a brick wall.” He sighed. The wall was an obvious lie.

“Fine, don’t tell me.” Phoenix shrugged as he took a book from his locker.

“Alright.” Jensen tried to think of anything to get him talking. He was going to need something to give Noah. Glancing around, his eyes landed on a pink slip sticking out of his locker. The words Sweet Sixteen were bold and easy to read. It would have to do.

“You going to the party?” The boy shot him a look.

“Maybe…why?”

“Uh, because,” He tried to think of a reason, “I’m doing a story, for the paper. Figured people would want to know ‘bout the party of the year and what others thought about it.”

“Oh…well, ok then.” he nodded slowly.

“Any words?” It was easier to talk if he was in reporter mode. Everything was cut off then.

Phoenix held up his book, “Class.”

Jensen didn’t get a word in as he walked off. A sigh escaped him as he leaned against the lockers. This was going to be harder than he thought. He couldn’t let his secret escape though.

He looked at the pink slip again with a small groan. He was going to have to go to that party now.